In search of Keto buddies!

Options
Hello all! I am new to this world, and have recently started a Keto lifestyle. It's really been a shock for my family and myself. I am very dedicated to it though, and am just spending my time reading and researching so that I don't spend my time thinking about food!
I am 30 years old and live in FL. I have 3 kids, 4 including my husband. I have put us all on this lifestyle, except the kids aren't as strict. I am just actually following the serving sizes on things for them. But as for my diet, I am following a strict 20g of carb diet. I am teaching myself to eat things I never liked before, like eggs and plain avacado. I am finding the best way to stop overeating is to eat things you don't really like (lol). Everyone I have talked to has said that I will learn to like these things, and that my taste buds need time to get rid of all of the junk I used to eat.
I don't have anyone in my "real" life who is doing this lifestyle, and would really love some other woman (or guys) who are going on this same journey so that we can help push each other to our goals. I have 200 lbs I would like to lose. It feels like it will never happen. But I have enough dedication now and I think I have found what will save my life.
I guess that is all, I am sharing my journey on instagram, my username is Lori1985. I basically just share what I have been eating.
Some things I'd love to talk about and share are things like grocery lists, recipes, books, Youtube videos/blogs, Pinterst etc...

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forums. Here is a link to the main low-carber forum group in MFP. It's usually where most of us Ketofiles hang out so come on over...:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Hi Lori! Welcome to MFP! I'm pretty new to keto as well. Feel free to add me if you'd like =)
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Any Keto/LCHF people can add me as a friend as well. I've been going strong since July.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Since a ketogenic (extremely low-carbohydrate, causing fat breakdown) diet is a treatment for epilepsy,
    and can cause serious health problems,
    you should be consulting with your doctor.

And do NOT play with what your kids are eating unless their doctor OK's it!!!
    They need different & complete nutrition in order to grow & stay healthy.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041020091532.htm
    From 2004.
    "The ketogenic diet, which is very high in fats and low in carbohydrates, was first developed almost 80 years ago. It makes the body burn fat for energy instead of glucose. The diet mimics the effects of starvation.
    When carefully monitored by a medical team familiar with its use, the diet helps two out of three epileptic children and may prevent seizures in one out of three, according to the Epilepsy Foundation.
    The diet has to be rigidly controlled. Any deviation can produce a seizure if the patient is thrown out of ketosis, a presence in the blood of abnormally high levels of acidic substances."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2
    "low-carb diets, especially very low-carb diets, may lead to greater short-term weight loss than low-fat diets.
    But most studies have found that at 12 or 24 months, the benefits of a low-carb diet are not very large.
    A 2014 review found that higher protein, low-carbohydrate diets may offer a slight advantage in terms of weight loss and loss of fat mass compared to a normal protein diet. At a year, the difference was only about a pound

If you suddenly and drastically cut carbs, you may experience a variety of temporary health effects, including:
    Headache
    Bad breath
    Weakness
    Fatigue
    Constipation or diarrhea

...some diets restrict carbohydrate intake so much that in the long term they can result in vitamin or mineral deficiencies, bone loss, and gastrointestinal disturbances and may increase risks for various chronic diseases."
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

"CONCLUSIONS: The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated."

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums. Here is a link to the main low-carber forum group in MFP. It's usually where most of us Ketofiles hang out so come on over...:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Yes check out the linked group. You will find tons of others who have researched and practiced this woe for many years. You can add me as a friend too :)
  • McGuite1976
    McGuite1976 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Since a ketogenic (extremely low-carbohydrate, causing fat breakdown) diet is a treatment for epilepsy,
    and can cause serious health problems,
    you should be consulting with your doctor.

And do NOT play with what your kids are eating unless their doctor OK's it!!!
    They need different & complete nutrition in order to grow & stay healthy.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041020091532.htm
    From 2004.
    "The ketogenic diet, which is very high in fats and low in carbohydrates, was first developed almost 80 years ago. It makes the body burn fat for energy instead of glucose. The diet mimics the effects of starvation.
    When carefully monitored by a medical team familiar with its use, the diet helps two out of three epileptic children and may prevent seizures in one out of three, according to the Epilepsy Foundation.
    The diet has to be rigidly controlled. Any deviation can produce a seizure if the patient is thrown out of ketosis, a presence in the blood of abnormally high levels of acidic substances."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831?pg=2
    "low-carb diets, especially very low-carb diets, may lead to greater short-term weight loss than low-fat diets.
    But most studies have found that at 12 or 24 months, the benefits of a low-carb diet are not very large.
    A 2014 review found that higher protein, low-carbohydrate diets may offer a slight advantage in terms of weight loss and loss of fat mass compared to a normal protein diet. At a year, the difference was only about a pound

If you suddenly and drastically cut carbs, you may experience a variety of temporary health effects, including:
    Headache
    Bad breath
    Weakness
    Fatigue
    Constipation or diarrhea

...some diets restrict carbohydrate intake so much that in the long term they can result in vitamin or mineral deficiencies, bone loss, and gastrointestinal disturbances and may increase risks for various chronic diseases."