I'm undereating 800 kcal every day.

Options

Replies

• ErikaAurelia
    ErikaAurelia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think it means if you eat 100 calories worth of spinach, then 49% of those calories will be protein, so 49cal=12.25g protein(1 g protein has 4 cal) but 100g of spinach would only be about 30 cal, so about 3.67g protein.

I see, but that doesn't change that I would have to eat large (to me: extreme) amounts of broccoli or spinach to get that amount of protein x)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Yes, you would have to eat a huge amount! That is why it is sometimes easier to go for lean meats, Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Personally, I really like Quest bars (20g protein) and advantEdge shakes (17g protein) to supplement my protein needs when the rest of my diet can't keep up.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    Haha, yeah. It will be interesting to see what g of protein I come up to if I eat the way I will try tomorrow. I will not push myself to eat more than I can since I want to be able to eat like that every day without feeling sick, so if I don't reach the right protein amount I will buy protein powder. Seems like the cheapest option.

I have found some ways people eat canned tuna, and many of them include cottage cheese. Hopefully my skin will accept that, would be great.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I eat a grain/plant base diet and have no problem hitting protean and I don't eat tons of these foods at a time. What about smoothies? Maybe that could be another option?
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    I eat a grain/plant base diet and have no problem hitting protean and I don't eat tons of these foods at a time. What about smoothies? Maybe that could be another option?

I have a tiny kitchen and not much space to keep foods at, I'm trying to keep it simple. I have never made smoothies without dairy products, so that would be an issue too. And I have no blender.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Hand held blenders are great and fit in a drawer. You can blend some protein powders with just water, others need something else to make them palatable. I like unsweetened soymilk, which also has protein. Soft tofu can also be used in a smoothie.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    Hand held blenders are great and fit in a drawer. You can blend some protein powders with just water, others need something else to make them palatable. I like unsweetened soymilk, which also has protein. Soft tofu can also be used in a smoothie.

I have blenders (hand held and "normal one") but packed down in a box far back in a storehouse (not sure if it is called any of that, but I think you understand). If I had it here I could use it, but now I don't and I don't feel like buying another one. So atm smoothies are nothing I will attempt, no matter how tasty.

I will look into unsweetened soymilk, sounds interesting. :)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Something easy to do to get a boost is to add a nutrition protein shake powder to your morning coffee - assuming you are a coffee drinker. Plan a couple of low-volume but high-density snacks into your day, like a small handful of nuts and a meat stick, for example. If you like cottage cheese, it's actually not bad on top of oatmeal as a way to add some protein. :)

Also you might look into some freeze-dried foods - they don't require refrigeration so they won't occupy your fridge space, and you can use small amounts at a time and then just close up the can.
  • ErikaAurelia
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, else that sounded pretty smart :)

Thank you for the tip about freeze-dried food, I will look that up!

ETA: waaay to expensive for me. Interesting, but sadly nothing I can go on.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    I tried that to eat like I said I would yesterday, it felt like I was eating so much but I am still 192 calories below what I should eat and ate 85g or protein (program says I should eat 92).

I did eat "a double dose" of banana+peanut butter just because I thought I would need it, and I suppose I did.

It feels like a lot of food for me, stuffing like..all the time (had to take 3 snack-meals, so 6 meals in total). It is just insane... Maybe I should try to eat breakfast even earlier next time, like at 6 am, and then snack at 9, lunch at 13, snack at 16...supper at 18 and then an apple or something some hours later...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Beef tenderloin has 247 calories and 19.61g of protein per 100g. That's nearly 32% protein.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts have 120 calories and 22.5g of protein per 100g. That's 75% protein.

Whole eggs have 143 calories and 12.56g of protein per 100g. That's 35% protein.

Not really sure where this chart is getting their information from....

It's also conveniently omitted that the Biological Value of vegetable proteins (a scale which measures what percentage of the protein source is utilized by the human body) is much lower for vegetable-based proteins than it is for any egg, meat and/or dairy source (link):

FOOD PROTEIN RATING
    Eggs (whole) 100
    Eggs (whites) 88
    Chicken / Turkey 79
    Fish 70
    Lean Beef 69
    Cow's Milk 60
    Unpolished Rice 59
    Brown Rice 57
    White Rice 56
    Peanuts 55
    Peas 55
    Whole Wheat 49
    Soy beans 47
    Whole-grain Wheat 44
    Peanuts 43
    Corn 36
    Dry Beans 34
    White Potato 34

By comparison, Whey Protein Isolate is assigned a score of 159, Whey Protein Concentrate is 104, Casein 77 and Soy 74.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I tried that to eat like I said I would yesterday, it felt like I was eating so much but I am still 192 calories below what I should eat and ate 85g or protein (program says I should eat 92).

I did eat "a double dose" of banana+peanut butter just because I thought I would need it, and I suppose I did.

It feels like a lot of food for me, stuffing like..all the time (had to take 3 snack-meals, so 6 meals in total). It is just insane... Maybe I should try to eat breakfast even earlier next time, like at 6 am, and then snack at 9, lunch at 13, snack at 16...supper at 18 and then an apple or something some hours later...

Well, 192 short is a heck of a lot better than 800 short, and you're reasonably close on protein. Definitely progress.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options

Well, 192 short is a heck of a lot better than 800 short, and you're reasonably close on protein. Definitely progress.

Haha, yeah, I realize that :P I don't think I have ever known how much food I really should eat. I don't think I have ever eaten enough food if this is how much I should eat. It is interesting.
    I will try to get it up a little more, guess I could add an avocado every day as someone suggested earlier, will make me about 20g over on the fat part, but if that doesn't matter I suppose I could just go for it, at least the kcal will be pretty close if I do.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    You could also open your diary...Then we could give you better ideas of what to swap and where.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    You could also open your diary...Then we could give you better ideas of what to swap and where.

I add a lot of things in swedish since I buy swedish stuff, so I'm not sure how much people would understand x) Maybe it is not that hard. I can open it either way, I don't see why not.

I will try to add cottage cheese to the supper instead of the tuna (like I did yesterday) and instead add some vegan alternative to sour cream to the tuna (to avoid more dairy), I kinda want it to taste a bit....tastier. The cottage cheese just disappeared with it :(

I am quite confident that I will be able to eat tuna every day though, it didn't taste anywhere close to what I remembered.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options

I add a lot of things in swedish since I buy swedish stuff, so I'm not sure how much people would understand x) Maybe it is not that hard. I can open it either way, I don't see why not.

I will try to add cottage cheese to the supper instead of the tuna (like I did yesterday) and instead add some vegan alternative to sour cream to the tuna (to avoid more dairy), I kinda want it to taste a bit....tastier. The cottage cheese just disappeared with it :(

I am quite confident that I will be able to eat tuna every day though, it didn't taste anywhere close to what I remembered.

I've come to really like tuna (just mixed with mustard) but keep an eye on the mercury levels of your tuna if you plan on eating it every day. That's a thing now. :)
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

I've come to really like tuna (just mixed with mustard) but keep an eye on the mercury levels of your tuna if you plan on eating it every day. That's a thing now. :)

All I know is that they on the "national food agency" (still don't know if it is actually called that in english) canned tuna does not contain that much mercury. I would only eat half a day (meaning 70 g), so to me it doesn't sound bad.

Cheap + protein and stuff + can make it taste good = win for lazy me.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

All I know is that they on the "national food agency" (still don't know if it is actually called that in english) said that canned tuna does not contain that much mercury. I would only eat half a day (meaning 70 g), so to me it doesn't sound bad.

Cheap + protein and stuff + can make it taste good = win for lazy me.

• ErikaAurelia
    Options
    I think it will take some time before I do that food diary every day. It is a bit difficult when I eat somewhere else very often. But I will try to do it every day starting this saturday, or well, not every day since I will travel next weekend, but yeah.