I'm undereating 800 kcal every day.

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Use a whole egg entry. Ex: 1 large egg should = 70 cal and about 7g protein. IF you cook it in 1tbs butter, add 1 tbs butter to your recipe. If not, don't pick an entry that says fried or fried in butter. Do not pick an entry that is part of a recipe, like "omelet". Everyone makes omelets differently. I find it very easy to add protein by using sliced lunch meat.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see. But eggs differ so much depending on if it is raw or fried, I'm not sure why that is. I'm not sure what I should put that the omelette contain, I mean, I really don't. Two eggs ~60g, 2 tablespoons of water and some salt and pepper... Seems so simple but why are all the omelettes showing different things? And why is it not adding protein/fat when I pick omelette instead of eggs?

Ah, I wish this was a bit easier!

I really dislike greek yogurt, maybe I could try cottage cheese and see if my skin is alright with it, would probably work fine to add to my normal meals, doesn't sound too bad to eat with veggies and meat either, weird maybe, but yeah.

About protein powder, I don't drink coffee, can't make smoothies and I don't eat yogurt, but oatmeal...I guess? Could try that if I can't get protein up any other way or if adding all these extra things just makes too much things to eat.

Add protein powder to milk or water, then drink.
  • ErikaAurelia
    ErikaAurelia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I should just ignore all entries about food that is not raw? Like boiled/fried etc? I suppose that makes it easier.

Thank you all for the help :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I should just ignore all entries about food that is not raw? Like boiled/fried etc? I suppose that makes it easier.
    Yes, that's the #1 tip I'd give to people who are new to MFP. It's always, always better to add in the individual components rather than finding an entry for the whole thing. For example, add the bread, peanut butter and jelly individually; don't find an entry that says "1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich." For the omelettes, add the eggs, veg, cheese, cooking oils, whatever, as separate entries.

Anyone can add anything to the MFP database, which is good and bad. If you see any entries that have calories only (no macro information), choose a different entry. Look for the little green check mark; those entries tend to be more accurate. You can also look to see how many people have verified that item (more is better in that case).

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Yes, I always search for the individual items raw and then add separately the oil or butter or stock or whatever I'm cooking it in. Any entries that mention an already prepared food and you are relying on some random person's ability to measure and enter data accurately.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yes, I always search for the individual items raw and then add separately the oil or butter or stock or whatever I'm cooking it in. Any entries that mention an already prepared food and you are relying on some random person's ability to measure and enter data accurately.

Alright. I thought the national food agency (or whatever to call them) was a good place to look, but I will do what you say :) Sounds easier, and if it is better I guess it is .... better.

• ErikaAurelia
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Yes, that's the #1 tip I'd give to people who are new to MFP. It's always, always better to add in the individual components rather than finding an entry for the whole thing. For example, add the bread, peanut butter and jelly individually; don't find an entry that says "1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich." For the omelettes, add the eggs, veg, cheese, cooking oils, whatever, as separate entries.

Anyone can add anything to the MFP database, which is good and bad. If you see any entries that have calories only (no macro information), choose a different entry. Look for the little green check mark; those entries tend to be more accurate. You can also look to see how many people have verified that item (more is better in that case).

Thank you for the advice, I have not even noticed any green check marks, I will look for them next time!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A 2-egg omelet made with 2 large eggs is only 140 calories. Even with adding in some veggies you would struggle to get 200 calories from that breakfast. That is a very low calorie way to start your day.

This is true. I have a similar breakfast, but I usually add some feta cheese to the omelet plus some additional source of protein (cottage cheese, greek yogurt, smoked salmon, the other day I had some leftover chicken). In the summer I usually have some fruit too, although that might be too much for OP and the fruit would work better as a snack. Changing it up like this could help add protein and/or carbs.

Maybe cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit as a snack?
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    A 2-egg omelet made with 2 large eggs is only 140 calories. Even with adding in some veggies you would struggle to get 200 calories from that breakfast. That is a very low calorie way to start your day.

This is true. I have a similar breakfast, but I usually add some feta cheese to the omelet plus some additional source of protein (cottage cheese, greek yogurt, smoked salmon, the other day I had some leftover chicken). In the summer I usually have some fruit too, although that might be too much for OP and the fruit would work better as a snack. Changing it up like this could help add protein and/or carbs.

Maybe cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit as a snack?

I think I will try to add cottage cheese and see how my skin tolerates it :)

Just thinking out loud now:

Adding more eggs to the omelette is not an option, I think I said it earlier, but a normal 2 egg omelette is already a lot for me. I could add one avocado to the breakfast and maybe have a banana as a snack before lunch. Then I could add cottage cheese and remove some of the veggies I normally eat (I can't just add something and expect that I will be able to eat it all)... I'm not sure if I like the idea of cottage cheese with fish, has anybody tried that? Is it edible? Canned tuna was very long ago I ate, but it is quite cheap and is good, a lot of protein. I like mackerel more, that I remember, but tuna contains so much more protein so I should go with that and find a way that I like to eat it.
    As snack between lunch and supper I suppose I could have maybe an apple and some nuts (or peanutbutter). And then for supper I will probably go for eggnoodles (one of those blocks is ~90g and that is already a lot for me), meat, and sometype of veggie (won't be much since the eggnoodles are so...much).

Does it sound alright? Guess I won't know before I try it and count all the calories etc. If I am still low on protein after that I will seriously consider buying protein powder.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    I guess I could switch up and have oatmeal as breakfast, I have applesauce that I like to have with it... and I guess I could mix chia seeds into it
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I guess I could switch up and have oatmeal as breakfast, I have applesauce that I like to have with it... and I guess I could mix chia seeds into it
    If you are eating oatmeal for breakfast, add protein in addition to the chia seeds.

• ErikaAurelia
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If you are eating oatmeal for breakfast, add protein in addition to the chia seeds.

As in protein powder?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    any form of protein including eating a bit of cheese or meat with it.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    I don't want to add a boiled egg (I have one hob plate and I will need it for the oatmeal) or cheese (it is dairy, cottage cheese for one meal sounds like enough dairy to me).

What type of meat can I add easily that doesn't need cooking and feels alright to eat along with oatmeal? half a ölkorv? (dense, slim sausage usually eaten as a snack here)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I don't want to add a boiled egg (I have one hob plate and I will need it for the oatmeal) or cheese (it is dairy, cottage cheese for one meal sounds like enough dairy to me).

What type of meat can I add easily that doesn't need cooking and feels alright to eat along with oatmeal? half a ölkorv? (dense, slim sausage usually eaten as a snack here)
    Yes, exactly that. :)

• nicoiam69
    nicoiam69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've struggled to get enough protein so added canned tuna and cottage cheese - shame you can't eat dairy as cottage cheese is a fantastic protein dense food. The cans of tuna with added chilli, tomato etcare good - the small cans are good for a snack or to add to your omelet or salad/veg
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    I will try to eat cottage cheese, I'm not sure if my skin will like it but I will try.

I have only seen canned tuna when it contains 150g of tuna, maybe there are bigger ones but that I definitely don't want, 150g is probably already a lot for me to take down, half would be easier for sure. How small cans are you talking about? I will go and check what I find tomorrow :)

Good that ölkorv works! It taste good on its own. Only downside I suppose is that it isn't very cheap, but I everything I eat can't be cheap, right?
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    ing7ezsh0hly.jpg
    You don't need to add more meat, beans are also good, add more of these plant based foods.

This!
  • ErikaAurelia
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I already eat many of the foods in that picture, and as I said before: I don't like the way they're talking about protein in it. Feels like it wants to trick me into thinking I'll get 45g of protein by eating 100g of broccoli. I am completely unable to stuff myself endlessly with food, I can take portions that are the size of my two hands (depending on what it is) and not much more. I would have to wait before eating more after that, else it will all come up again.
    For me to get the proteins I need by eating only more plant based foods I would have to eat a lot and often. Not gonna happen.

I will try what I said a few comments back, I hope it adds up to 1850 calories and enough protein.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I think it means if you eat 100 calories worth of spinach, then 49% of those calories will be protein, so 49cal=12.25g protein(1 g protein has 4 cal) but 100g of spinach would only be about 30 cal, so about 3.67g protein.