Females... and diet around your period..

Options

Replies

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I mostly just feel weak and tired. Like I'm slogging through mud all day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have this as well, plus I crave chocolate. Apparently it's hormones. I don't believe in horoscopes, but thought this site gave a good explanation of what's going on in our bodies. It looks like progesterone is the main culprit:
    http://hormonehoroscope.com/the-female-hormone-cycle/

I don't know how I feel about that article... I don't really notice much of a difference the 2 weeks after ovulation and they're both pretty much horrible to me.

I do like this quote though Not every woman suffers from premenstrual syndrome and symptoms can be milder or more severe from month to month, often due to diet, stress, medications, exercise habits or your body’s personal sensitivity to hormones.. Something a lot of women on MFP seem to forget... (yes I am bitter but I've been called a lot of not very nice things for having this issue).

I've read about it.. it's caused by low progesterone and the brain not producing enough serotonin at that time (the hormone that makes you feel full, and carbs produce serotonin, so that's why you crave carbs and why carbs seem to help). It can also get worse if you have a history of depression and your hormones are already a bit out of whack (might be my problem). I know that my GYN told me that it's one of the reasons he offers anti-depressants to help some women with PMS.. I just have bad experiences with them (with pretty much everything that changes my hormones, really) so I'm reluctant to try it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    ........ diet ...........
    diet period diet
  • Francl27
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    diet period diet

Yes and I'm quite sure that's why OP is here.. asking for tips. As I said though, I've tried pretty much everything and I haven't found anything that worked for me. I typically eat high protein, lots of veggies, good amount of fat, and I tried high fat and it was even worse.
  • momoftwins985
    momoftwins985 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Same. Two days before AF I'm a bottomless pit. And the days around ovulation too. Aaannd the first two days of AF because of depression of yet another failed cycle(been trying to conceive for a year)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have this as well, plus I crave chocolate. Apparently it's hormones. I don't believe in horoscopes, but thought this site gave a good explanation of what's going on in our bodies. It looks like progesterone is the main culprit:

I don't know how I feel about that article... I don't really notice much of a difference the 2 weeks after ovulation and they're both pretty much horrible to me.

I do like this quote though Not every woman suffers from premenstrual syndrome and symptoms can be milder or more severe from month to month, often due to diet, stress, medications, exercise habits or your body’s personal sensitivity to hormones.. Something a lot of women on MFP seem to forget... (yes I am bitter but I've been called a lot of not very nice things for having this issue).

I've read about it.. it's caused by low progesterone and the brain not producing enough serotonin at that time (the hormone that makes you feel full, and carbs produce serotonin, so that's why you crave carbs and why carbs seem to help). It can also get worse if you have a history of depression and your hormones are already a bit out of whack (might be my problem). I know that my GYN told me that it's one of the reasons he offers anti-depressants to help some women with PMS.. I just have bad experiences with them (with pretty much everything that changes my hormones, really) so I'm reluctant to try it.

I asked you on another thread "Have you tried Prometrium, which is a bio-identical progesterone?" and didn't see your response until just now. You'd asked if it was prescription. Yes, it is. I take it from ovulation to when my period starts. Unlike synthetic progesterones, I have no side effects from it, except the beneficial one that it makes me sleep better.
  • kshama2001
    Options

They left out "nesting/compulsive cleaning" in Week 4 :D
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yep. I basically have one week where I'm not hungry at all, two weeks of average hunger and one week where I'm starving the whole time. I try to just ride it out but if I'm desperately craving something sweet I'll let myself have something small. I also always allow myself a free meal on Saturday nights so that really helps me to have something to look forward to and doesn't have any long term affect on my weight loss.
  • Francl27
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I asked you on another thread "Have you tried Prometrium, which is a bio-identical progesterone?" and didn't see your response until just now. You'd asked if it was prescription. Yes, it is. I take it from ovulation to when my period starts. Unlike synthetic progesterones, I have no side effects from it, except the beneficial one that it makes me sleep better.

I missed it! But I'll definitely ask my doctor about it - thanks! Nervous though, it seems that there's a long list of side effects and when I took it for IVF it pretty much put me to sleep within 30 minutes... but if it can help, it's worth mentioning for sure.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I feel lucky in that I don't get excessively hungry at any point throughout my cycle. PMS makes me horrendously bloated though and I feel really awful mentally about four days before my period. So I'm not so lucky in other aspects haha.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not me, at least haven't noticed any difference.
  • bottemil13
    bottemil13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I am not alone! ;) Feeling this right now, like no matter how much I eat I am hungry again very quickly. I have been off of my calorie counting the last few months, back to logging today, so I have to reign things back in! Its probably a great idea to eat at maintenance for a few days, that way the miserable time of month is a little less terrible. Even more power to you if you can keep going with your calorie goals during this time!!
  • Chupiite
    Chupiite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the one in this world with this problem lol
  • racheln2017
    racheln2017 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm big offender for this. I get really intense cravings right before my period and during. But, during this time, I also have two extremes: I either have no appetite whatsoever and have no desire to eat anything, or an unquenchable hunger for literally anything I can get my hands on.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I missed it! But I'll definitely ask my doctor about it - thanks! Nervous though, it seems that there's a long list of side effects and when I took it for IVF it pretty much put me to sleep within 30 minutes... but if it can help, it's worth mentioning for sure.

Yes, I take it before bed :)

I take 100 mg - you may have had a higher dose for IVF.
  • Francl27
    Options

Yes, I take it before bed :)

I take 100 mg - you may have had a higher dose for IVF.

Did it make a big difference for your appetite? I'm definitely intrigued.
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes! Sometimes my period lasts a crazy long time, and the longer it lingers, the longer my hungry days last :( I try to munch on low cal snacks like veg, some fruit for sweet cravings, and I allow myself some indulgence because I'd go crazy if I didn't (chocolate chips with that fruit anyone?) I'm in this for the long haul, it's not a diet, so if I have a few crazy food days a month, but that allows me (mentally) to persevere throughout the rest of the month, I think I come out ahead at the end of it all.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yes! Sometimes my period lasts a crazy long time, and the longer it lingers, the longer my hungry days last :( I try to munch on low cal snacks like veg, some fruit for sweet cravings, and I allow myself some indulgence because I'd go crazy if I didn't (chocolate chips with that fruit anyone?) I'm in this for the long haul, it's not a diet, so if I have a few crazy food days a month, but that allows me (mentally) to persevere throughout the rest of the month, I think I come out ahead at the end of it all.

That's a bit odd, for me a longer period means less days hungry, as the hunger pretty much stops on day 2.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Totes! For those two days, I let myself eat 3000 or 4000 calories, then get back to it!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    diet period diet

IFLY. I can't believe how many people missed this brilliance.