Feeling like an addict

Options
Hello all! My name is Amanda and I recently started my weight loss journey. Low carbing for now. I am a little less than 2 weeks into my diet change and have lost weight but I feel terrible. Extremely fatigued, mild constant headaches. In general, I just do not feel good. Has this happened to anyone when they first cut out sugar? Will this pass with time? Any positive advice is welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Check out the Low Carbers Daily group for advice. It passes, but my understanding is there are ways to make it less bad. If you cut out soda it could be caffeine related, and there you just have to decide if you want to wait it out or substitute (and cut down more gradually) some other caffeine source.
  • paisiovich
    paisiovich Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    k, when i hear carb this and protein that....it's concerns me....nutrition is about being well balanced and what your feeling is clearly not. Are you utilizing the the phone app for fitness pal because you can scan everything you consume or choose from ahost of choices once you type it in. Are you working out as well? I mean since i've combined this with my POLAR activity watch and heart rate chest monitor i'm like completely informed. So talk to me.
  • Rax1974
    Rax1974 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, it will pass
  • americanstar1618
    americanstar1618 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a anything sweet addict also but trust me after few weeks u won't believe how u just don't care that much anymore
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm always giving advice on carbs for meals
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Are you eating low carb because of medical issues? Because you feeling fatigued all the time could mean you're eating too little calories, or that low carb simply doesn't work for you.
  • darkangeline
    darkangeline Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check to make sure you are getting enough sodium, potassium, and magnesium. These three things coupled with the diuretic effect of changing the fuel that your body burns can make you feel that way.

I think they call it the carb flu.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have a registered dietitian who I have been working with for a few years to fine tune my diet. The brain requires carbohydrates. It is dangerous to cut out too many carbs. One of the symptoms is fatigue. Headaches is also a result that your brain is not getting enough carbohydrates. Don't go too long with these symptoms. You may have decreased carbs to a dangerous level.
  • daveharris54
    daveharris54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but almost all the information I have read from those that are say that the sugar withdrawal symptoms should pass in 4 to 5 days. I agree with some others here that you may have other issues such as too few calories or not the right mix of nutrients for your body. Log in MFP everything you eat so you will know the calorie and nutrients content. Unless I have missed something, MFP is not great for actual carb counts so you may have to track actual carbs separately.

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My name is Amanda and I recently started my weight loss journey. Low carbing for now. I am a little less than 2 weeks into my diet change and have lost weight but I feel terrible. Extremely fatigued, mild constant headaches. In general, I just do not feel good. Has this happened to anyone when they first cut out sugar? Will this pass with time? Any positive advice is welcome. Thanks!

Just for clarity, cutting out sugar does not equate to cutting out carbs.

Are you doing low carb or low sugar?

You will continue to feel this way unless you replace it with fat (keto) or protein, which is a as your body will convert it into carbs anyway or you will Excrete It.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you've CHOSEN a low carb approach, then join this group, read their launch pad, read up on low carb dieting, and ask them questions.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If you find you don't like low carb, there are plenty of successful people on here who lost without low carb.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You may be taking in too few carbs. Those are your body's primary energy source, and while you can cut them back it's not at all unusual to feel sluggish as a result. If this doesn't change over time then try upping your carbs a bit and balance with a reduction in your other macros while keeping calories the same.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are going low carb, what does your fat look like and sodium? It's not uncommon to get the "flu" when your body is in the process of changing energy sources. Adding sodium and dark leafy greens might help this feeling as you want to ensure your electrolytes are balanced.