Avoiding My Favorite Restaurants

ernestrodgers82
ernestrodgers82 Posts: 203 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I lost my mind tonight. 350 calories for breakfast, 550 calories for lunch and 890 calories in healthy snacks (i.e., low salt, low processed sugar and 4 servings of fruit). I then went to Famous Dave's for dinner and against my better judgement ordered 4 St. Louis ribs, coleslaw, 1/2 ear of corn, dinner fries and a corn muffin. 1,500 calories later!!! My only consolation is I drank unsweetened iced tea and passed on dessert. I swear that restaurants and me are like alcoholics and bars; I should stay out of them! Any suggestions out there in MFP World for avoiding really good tasting food?

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I still go to my favorite restaurants, just not all the time. I always log everything I'm going to eat for the day beforehand though. That way I can adjust my meals accordingly. You may have to make some substitutions & decide how you want to use your calories--decide what your favorite item is & how many calories it would be & then order lower calorie options for the rest. For example, if you are going there for the ribs, order those & have a side salad & a tablespoon of light dressing instead of fries & a corn muffin. Or, you can save some calories through the week & use them on your night out. I do not have success when I try to deprive myself of everything I love. I have to be able to eat what I like. I just can't eat as much of it as I previously would.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    I still go to my favorite restaurants but I do a few things differently.

(1) I look at the menu in advance and plan my meal and calorie count it before I go. (This works 90% of the time and sometimes menus change but it helps!)

(2) I budget the calories into my day with the pre-planning, BUT I make sure I don't go into the restaurant starving. I will usually cut my calories a little to fit in a slightly larger meal or to account for the restaurants difference in counting, but going in too hungry leads to over eating. If dinner is at say 6:30, I eat a high protein snack at 4:00 or so.

(3) I try to fit exercise into my day when I know I'm going out.

(4) I never eat a full portion. I've never been in a restaurant that serves me a portion I could ever fit into my calories. I'm small so I have a lower calorie budget, but like you pointed out- it's easy for servings to be HUGE. I automatically go into it knowing about how much I plan on eating and portion it out on my plate and plan on taking the rest home.

Hope this helps! I could never give up Famous Daves!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Don't avoid it. Just plan for it. Ribs sound pretty awesome.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Don't worry about it. As long as it's not happening constantly it's fine. I went for ribs last Saturday night for my days birthday. Had 1/2 a rack, garlic toast, sweet potato casserole, collard greens, AND sweet tea. 2 glasses. I still lost 3.2lbs last week.

I'm not depriving myself.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    edited January 2016
    I've started ordering half to go in advance especially in Italian, ordering meat and double veggies because it's hard to get a healthy carb dining out, or I order double meat double veggies in pasta and then I end up eating half but more proportionate veggies and protein
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I still go, but for lunch. Typically I can get away with a 1500 meal then, and I'm usually too stuffed for dinner even and still end up under maintenance.

The other option is to plan for it, eat lightly during the day and have a good workout, or eat a bit less during the rest of the week so you have extra calories to spare... or to decide what you really want (like ribs), and get those, but get lower calorie sides so you end up at 900 and not 1500 calories.

Frankly though, dinner always does me in, as I'm a 'eat more early in the day, less for dinner' kind of gal, so if we go out for dinner it's pretty much impossible for me to save the calories for it because I'm hungry all day.

At the end of the day though... going 1500 over just means you'll wipe your deficit for 3 days if you're on the 'lose 1 pound a week' setting. So it only sets you back 3 days. It's really not a huge deal.
  • ernestrodgers82
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    I still go to my favorite restaurants, just not all the time. I always log everything I'm going to eat for the day beforehand though. That way I can adjust my meals accordingly. You may have to make some substitutions & decide how you want to use your calories--decide what your favorite item is & how many calories it would be & then order lower calorie options for the rest. For example, if you are going there for the ribs, order those & have a side salad & a tablespoon of light dressing instead of fries & a corn muffin. Or, you can save some calories through the week & use them on your night out. I do not have success when I try to deprive myself of everything I love. I have to be able to eat what I like. I just can't eat as much of it as I previously would.

Like the idea of running a deficit leading up to the Big Event. I do log everything religiously, which is why I'm so disappointed when I ruin an otherwise good day with a poor (or really tasty) meal choice.
  • ernestrodgers82
    edited January 2016
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I still go, but for lunch. Typically I can get away with a 1500 meal then, and I'm usually too stuffed for dinner even and still end up under maintenance.

The other option is to plan for it, eat lightly during the day and have a good workout, or eat a bit less during the rest of the week so you have extra calories to spare... or to decide what you really want (like ribs), and get those, but get lower calorie sides so you end up at 900 and not 1500 calories.

Frankly though, dinner always does me in, as I'm a 'eat more early in the day, less for dinner' kind of gal, so if we go out for dinner it's pretty much impossible for me to save the calories for it because I'm hungry all day.

At the end of the day though... going 1500 over just means you'll wipe your deficit for 3 days if you're on the 'lose 1 pound a week' setting. So it only sets you back 3 days. It's really not a huge deal.

One consolation is that I don't count my steps against my calorie count, other than my nightly dog walk or occasional mall walk. I had 15,000 steps that day and didn't count the first 10,000.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Sometimes I've done the "box up half the meal before I start" method. Keeps the calorie count sane *and* I get to have the same treat tomorrow.

I've pretty much never been hungry after finishing the first half- it's a reminder of how much of finishing a giant restaurant portion is habit and the pleasure of the taste, not hunger.
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I've started ordering half to go in advance especially in Italian, ordering meat and double veggies because it's hard to get a healthy carb dining out, or I order double meat double veggies in pasta and then I end up eating half but more proportionate veggies and protein

That's exactly what I do. I went to TGI Friday's on Friday and asked the waitress to bring me a to-go box with my meal. I put 1/2 of my meal in the box before I ate anything. It really worked. I ate the rest for lunch the next day!
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Yesterday I treated myself to a delicious Sushi lunch, all you can eat. Logged in at roughly 1500 calories, and it was all delicious. (My daily intake goal is roughly 1400-1600, depending on exercise...)

When I splurge or go out, I also like to go for lunch. Then I eat a small breakfast snack, leaves plenty of room for big lunch, which keeps me mostly full through dinner/rest of the day.
    Alternatively, I plan it out ahead of time. Perhaps the day before, or day after, I'll plan on creating bigger calorie deficits, so it evens out.
    And don't forget, one day won't ruin it all! Enjoy your meals, indulge & celebrate your victories thus far. Then log it & move on, and plan better next time.
    Your meal sounds delicious!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Any suggestions out there in MFP World for avoiding really good tasting food?

I don't avoid it. I just plan to eat appropriate portions for me. I prelog my food all the time. I usually only have 100-300 calories for snacks and the rest goes for regular meals.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I agree with everything said above but I also think that if for you it's an appealing, realistic solution to just avoid those restaurants all together until you get closer to where you want to be, there's nothing wrong with that. I find the less I eat at home, the less I want to. Sometimes it's good to just step back from the smorgasbord and focus on the basics without the temptations. You kind of forget that 1500-calorie dinner rush and quit craving it.
  • trumpetsarecool
    trumpetsarecool Posts: 17 Member
    If I know I'm going to want some really fattening foods, I will do a really intense calorie burning workout that day and add in some yoga. So about an hour of exercise to burn around 500-600 calories. Then, for your meals leading up to that "cheat" meal, just go easy. Don't go overboard. If you know that your dinner will be around 800-1000 calories, then maybe eat half of the portion you're given and bring the rest home. Don't deprive yourself from your favorite foods. Moderation is key!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    You should definitely be able to eat your favorite foods sometimes, even if you go over calories a bit. You just need to plan for it ahead, like some have posted already. I know it's helped me out heaps with my weight loss journey to never absolutely deny myself something I like.

When you're planning to go out to eat, you could also just bring the money needed for 1 dish (or whatever fits your calories) and the unsweetened tea, and leave the rest of your money at home. That way you won't impulsively be able to buy several of your favorite side dishes to go with the main one. Definitely give this a try, if you can!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian and say don't go, at least I would try to generally avoid places where you tend to overeat. Do this for the same reason you eliminate your trigger foods at home:

trigger foods * prolonged exposure = you will eventually succumb.

It's hard enough to avoid temptation when you encounter it so why torture yourself repeatedly? It's our bad eating habits that got us into trouble in the first place. Don't purposefully go skirting back to the edge of them unless you have the iron will not to indulge when re-immersed in the foods and situations where you previously overate.

If you're out with friends, family or colleagues and that's what they all want, there's not much you can do except what others here have suggested and try to eat half a plate and then bag the rest. But when it's your own choice, I would stay away.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian and say don't go, at least I would try to generally avoid places where you tend to overeat. Do this for the same reason you eliminate your trigger foods at home:

It's hard enough to avoid temptation when you encounter it so why torture yourself repeatedly? It's our bad eating habits that got us into trouble in the first place. Don't purposefully go skirting back to the edge of them unless you have the iron will not to indulge when re-immersed in the foods and situations where you previously overate.

If you're out with friends, family or colleagues and that's what they all want, there's not much you can do except what others here have suggested and try to eat half a plate and then bag the rest. But when it's your own choice, I would stay away.

+1

We used to eat out a lot, and then I got serious about creating delicious food at home. Besides being a huge savings economically, eating at home ensures a level of quality and cleanliness that I just don't trust much anymore at the Average Joe restaurant. The shine is definitely off that apple for me, for sure.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Maybe it's just me, but, I don't see the restaurant as the problem. " 350 calories for breakfast, 550 calories for lunch and ... 4 St. Louis ribs, coleslaw, 1/2 ear of corn, dinner fries and a corn muffin. 1,500 calories" doesn't seem to be bad. It's the "890 calories in healthy snacks". Healthy, unhealthy or otherwise, close to 900 calories in snacks, to my mind, IS the problem. But you logged it, move on. Hope you enjoyed the day.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,097 Member
    If I remember correctly from another thread you are a low sodium dieter. If it is for health reasons eating out is not your friend.

Here is what I do for health reasons...

I have learned(still learning) to cook low sodium tasty dishes at home. This has decreased my desire for restaurant food. I try new foods and recipes. That way I don't know what they taste like with salt so I am not disappointed that it is low sodium.

Once a week I allow myself one meal that I don't worry about the sodium. I usually pick a meal that I really miss having.

If your health doesn't require low sodium then I wouldn't worry about it...enjoy your meal...maybe eat "lighter" then next couple of days...move on and accept that there will be days that you don't adhere to the rules...such is life.

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    peter56765 wrote: »

I agree with this. While I don't deprive myself of a social life, I have broken my habit of eating out all the time. It is very difficult staying with a deficit goal if you spend those calories on a big meal all the time. Most of the low calorie options on menus don't appeal to me.

Also, not having accurate calorie counts can mess you up. I save calories for when we go out, but it is much less than before. The $$ we are saving is kind of unbelievable. I splurge at the grocery store a lot now but still coming out ahead.

I have been challenging myself to crack my favorite restaurant meals at home. It is fun and I have complete control over the calories I consume.

When I do eat out, I never eat more than half. If it's something that can be reheated I take it. Sometimes I order an appetizer as dinner but those can be calorie bombs too. I study the menu and try to estimate how many calories I need. When it's last minute I just deal by trying to pick the best option. The key is portion control. Sometimes I will eat from my bread plate, using the dinner plate as a serving dish.