I don't know what I'm doing wrong..

Options
Hi everyone! Getting very frustrated with the scale since it refuses to move.. I have been at the same weight for over 2 weeks now (148 lbs) and no matte it won't budge I stay within my calories.. I drink a lot of water. I don't work out but I thought diet was 80% of weight loss. I'm so confused.. What am I doing wrong!?!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Jessica, I'm sorry that you're struggling with a plateau. They just SUCK!

How long have you been dieting, how much have you lost, and how tall are you?
  • JessicaSunflower
    JessicaSunflower Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'', and I've been dieting since Christmas.. I was 155lbs then... Now I'm 148
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You've lost 7 lbs in 5 weeks. Good work!

Assuming your logging has been on point, I'd wait another week before lowering calories. Female hormonal fluctuations and their resultant water weight fluctuations can mask losses at times.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

Do you?

Also, how often do you weigh yourself? If it's only weekly, if you're hitting lower weights during the week you may not be seeing them. Weight fluctuates.

Also, what jemhh said.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not a plateau.

It could be several things:

~ Are you weighing your food? If you are not weighing your food you could be underestimating how much you are really eating. Even if you are eating packaged food, there is a certain percentage allowable that they can be off. Even measuring your food with measuring cups can be inaccurate. The best bet is to weigh your food in grams using a food scale.

~ Weight loss is not linear. Even when you are doing everything right there may be a week or two where the scale does not move. Keep at it, if you are eating at a deficit the weight will come off.

~ Where are you in your cycle? Your cycle can cause weight gain (water). That may be masking any loss you may have had.

It can be really frustrating when you do not see the scale go down. Look for other signs. How are your clothes fitting? Are you taking measurements? You could be losing inches but the weight can be the same.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You don't realize 5 lbs in 7 weeks is very good? Keep going.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Diet isn't 80% of weight loss, it's 100%. Exercise is great for fitness and earning more calories.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    What is your height?

What is your calorie goal?

You're gonna need to be a little more specific i
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't know if there's science behind this so take it as you will...but I've noticed that when I have a couple weeks where I don't lose weight, those are the weeks people comment on how much I've lost and say i'm looking leaner. Sometimes I think your body loses weight, then takes a week or two to catch up and visibly show your loss. If you are sure you are in a deficit, your weight loss will resume. As long as you are positive of your intake, trust the process.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I see two major problems:

1. Found several entries where you logged 400 calories for the day, 800 for the day, or 250 for the day. THAT'S NOT ENOUGH CALORIES TO EAT. Losing weight doesn't mean you starve yourself. So you're either eating way too little or you're not logging what you're eating.

2. I see you using "cups" as measurements. So do you use a food scale? If not, you need to. Cups is not an accurate way to measure.

• tara_means_star
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

1. Found several entries where you logged 400 calories for the day, 800 for the day, or 250 for the day. THAT'S NOT ENOUGH CALORIES TO EAT. Losing weight doesn't mean you starve yourself. So you're either eating way too little or you're not logging what you're eating.

2. I see you using "cups" as measurements. So do you use a food scale? If not, you need to. Cups is not an accurate way to measure.

If she's not losing I'd venture to say the problem is she's not logging accurately. She's definitely not eating too little.
  • robs_ready
    Options

If she's not losing I'd venture to say the problem is she's not logging accurately. She's definitely not eating too little.

Not necessarily,

I've seen many occasions where people starve themselves of calories and lose no weight, your body is a complex machine designed to survive hard times, holding on to fat for preservation.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    How do you explain starvation and anorexia?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    Do you weigh your food?

Do you?

Also, how often do you weigh yourself? If it's only weekly, if you're hitting lower weights during the week you may not be seeing them. Weight fluctuates.

Also, what jemhh said.

Yes. But I'm not the one with questions about my weight loss or lack there of so not sure why it matters?
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yeah, your logging is off. 0.5 glass of wine isn't very accurate. Use a digital food scale to tighten up your logging. Weigh your food in grams and you should be good to go.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »

Not necessarily,

I've seen many occasions where people starve themselves of calories and lose no weight, your body is a complex machine designed to survive hard times, holding on to fat for preservation.

No. Starvation mode is a myth.
  • robs_ready
    Options

How do you explain people who can eat all day and not gain weight!?

2 bodies react very differently to hundreds and hundreds of factors, just because one person loses weight starving (weigh in this case, being mostly muscle tissue), doesn't mean others will. Genetics play a big part

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »

How do you explain people who can eat all day and not gain weight!?

2 bodies react very differently to hundreds and hundreds of factors, just because one person loses weight starving (weigh in this case, being mostly muscle tissue), doesn't mean others will. Genetics play a big part

How DO you explain that? Have you ran a study watching people 24 hours per day for weeks at a time who eat ALL DAY and never gain weight?

People see slim people having a 1000 calorie lunch and assume each meal of their day is the same. It's very annoying