I don't know what I'm doing wrong..

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    How do you explain starvation and anorexia?

How do you explain people who can eat all day and not gain weight!?

2 bodies react very differently to hundreds and hundreds of factors, just because one person loses weight starving (weigh in this case, being mostly muscle tissue), doesn't mean others will. Genetics play a big part

Genetics play a small part, the rest is simple biology.

There's a difference between your perception of someone who 'eats all day' and the reality of that.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

2 bodies react very differently to hundreds and hundreds of factors, just because one person loses weight starving (weigh in this case, being mostly muscle tissue), doesn't mean others will. Genetics play a big part

Answering a question with a question. Nice deflection :wink: is there any proof that someone can eat all day and not gain without being incredibly active? The only person I've seen that could eat all day and maintain ran 15 miles a day. I'm not sure what there is to explain except that you still haven't answered my question.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I'm not sure. I'll ask Santa Claus how that works the next time I see him
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

There's a difference between your perception of someone who 'eats all day' and the reality of that.

Fair enough.

I can't prove anything as others have already jumped on, but to say everyone has the same cico formula is incredibly naive
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Losing weight requires a caloric deficit overall. If you're not logging your calorie intake correctly, AND you aren't exercising, there's a very good chance you aren't creating a deficit, and you may even be eating more than you burn each day, without realizing it. When I workout, I find I can better narrow the margin of error in my logging...tightening up my numbers while tightening up my abs! So diet is important to losing weight, but altho it's not required, working out, even simple walking, will get you there faster by ensuring a daily deficit......You're already doing something right if you've lost 5 pounds in seven weeks! Have patience, it'll happen...
  • robs_ready
    Options

Answering a question with a question. Nice deflection :wink: is there any proof that someone can eat all day and not gain without being incredibly active? The only person I've seen that could eat all day and maintain ran 15 miles a day. I'm not sure what there is to explain except that you still haven't answered my question.

I'm not arguing or debating, just stating that a everyone is different and reacts differently.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I'm not arguing or debating, just stating that a everyone is different and reacts differently.

Besides a medical condition coming into play, everyone reacts to a calorie deficit-by losing weight. Even TEF makes very little difference.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Its not a debate that people don't have the exact same cico. You said that people can starve themselves and not lose weight. That is the part we are disagreeing on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

Fair enough.

I can't prove anything as others have already jumped on, but to say everyone has the same cico formula is incredibly naive
    Not everyone has the same CICO formula (because variables such as muscle/fat ratio and physical activity will matter), but CICO is the basis of any weight loss/gain/maintenance program.
    More than likely the OP ISN'T accurately measuring intake and/or may be too aggressive in deficit. Don't really know because she hasn't answered.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• robs_ready
    Options
    It's cool guys, I'm wrong, I guess you can't starve yourself and not lose weight.

Let's assume the op is not accurately counting, that's the more logical assumption
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

People burn vastly different amounts of calories based mainly on body size, body composition, and physical activity. I went to school with a girl who was rail thin and ate a ton, but she also spent most of her free time doing sports, so she also burned far more calories than I did.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We don't have enough info to definitely say what is going on. However, considering the number of times we repeat that weight loss is not linear, I'm working on the assumption that her weight loss is proceeding in its normal nonlinear manner.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Courtesy of @lemonlionheart:

at7crll77o1g.jpg
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    We don't have enough info to definitely say what is going on. However, considering the number of times we repeat that weight loss is not linear, I'm working on the assumption that her weight loss is proceeding in its normal nonlinear manner.

This. She's only been dieting since Christmas, she's lost ~1 lb per week, and she's not morbidly obese, which would allow her to lose weight more rapidly. Sounds like OP simply has a case of impatience (which happens from time to time).

Consistency over time is key. 2 weeks is not a plateau.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It's cool guys, I'm wrong, I guess you can't starve yourself and not lose weight.

Let's assume the op is not accurately counting, that's the more logical assumption

Or the OP may be accurately counting and losing fat. Weight loss and fat loss aren't the same - a lot of other factors could come into play, mainly water retention. We don't even know if the lack of observed weight loss over these 2 weeks comes from 14 data points or 2 data points.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I looked at your diary and I see two major problems:

1. Found several entries where you logged 400 calories for the day, 800 for the day, or 250 for the day. THAT'S NOT ENOUGH CALORIES TO EAT. Losing weight doesn't mean you starve yourself. So you're either eating way too little or you're not logging what you're eating.

2. I see you using "cups" as measurements. So do you use a food scale? If not, you need to. Cups is not an accurate way to measure.

If she's not losing I'd venture to say the problem is she's not logging accurately. She's definitely not eating too little.

Not necessarily,

I've seen many occasions where people starve themselves of calories and lose no weight, your body is a complex machine designed to survive hard times, holding on to fat for preservation.

sorry that is wrong…

if that was the case then there would be no starting people and you would not die from starvation ….

please stop spreading this myth ...
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2016
    Options

Fair enough.

no one is saying that everyone has the same CICO formula…what they are saying is that your body does to hold on to fat if you do not eat enough, that is ridiculous, because if that was true no one would die from starvation ...
  • robs_ready
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Fair enough.

no one is saying that everyone has the same CICO formula…what they are saying is that your body does to hold on to fat if you do not eat enough, that is ridiculous, because if that was true no one would die from starvation ...

Yeah I know, read my previous comment.

She's not to technically starving, but Yeah, your right.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Fair enough.

you mad bro, because your starvation mode theory got shredded? Its ok, you can resort to sarcasm, my feelings won't be hurt….

she lost seven pound in about five weeks, her problem is lack of patience….
  • robs_ready
    Options

Fair enough.

you mad bro, because your starvation mode theory got shredded? Its ok, you can resort to sarcasm, my feelings won't be hurt….

she lost seven pound in about five weeks, her problem is lack of patience….

Lol, yeah probably.