"Preparing" for a cholesterol test.

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
I have had an issue with moderately elevated cholesterol (over 200 with LDL over 130) for several years, although I am fit, normal weight, and in otherwise good health. Every checkup I get the lipid test and if my cholesterol is high, sometimes my doctor will try to talk me into a statin. So usually, before I have my blood test, I give up eggs and animal fats for a week to 10 days and double my dose of fish oil to "prep" for a good result. This time, however, due to a busy schedule and poor planning, my annual physical is scheduled for next Friday and I have to do my bloodwork on Monday. Friday, I had an omelette with cheese for breakfast, and I wonder if the cholesterol from that will still be in my system by the time of the blood test. Is there anything I can eat or a supplement I can take to rid my system of the cholesterol? This morning, I ate oatmeal with chia seeds and I'm going to eat fish for the next two days. I'm also wondering whether I should take some psyllium or other fiber type laxative.

By the way, I know that allegedly dietary cholesterol is not supposed to affect the numbers, but mine does. When I've been tested right after a vacation or holiday when I was eating a lot of high fat food, my numbers would usually be pretty high.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I'm your opposite. I try to eat as normal as possible so that my test results will be accurate.
    Isn't that what everyone would want? Real numbers?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    For a small percentage dietary cholesterol does impact their blood levels.

I would eat normally. Trying to fool your doctor is really only fooling yourself. Having said that, before you agree to statins, I urge you to do research on them. They are not the 'best thing since sliced bread' that the pharma companies want you to think they are.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I would never try to make a test deliberately inaccurate. I mean, in the end you're only cheating yourself and your health.

My grandfather used to try to do the same thing with his blood sugar (he was T2 diabetic) and all it "earned" him was worse control of his blood sugar and more complications.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree why try to fool your doctor. If you have a problem follow your low colesteral diet all the time. That would be the best way to stay off the statins.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    That's what my dad does- eats healthy before. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Watch out for salt too though- high sodium can bump up cholesterol
  • rosebette
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

I would eat normally. Trying to fool your doctor is really only fooling yourself. Having said that, before you agree to statins, I urge you to do research on them. They are not the 'best thing since sliced bread' that the pharma companies want you to think they are.

I actually do follow a pretty good diet, but I do eat eggs to up my protein, not every day, but maybe 2 to 3 times a week. I don't think I'm "fooling" my doctor because I'm not stuffing myself with donuts and high fat foods as a rule.

However, I do want to avoid the statin due to the side effects of joint and muscle pain, as I already have some significant pain due to osteroarthritis. My mom (also slim with a reasonably healthy diet) was put on them and had to stop because of acute pain. I also have concerns about doctors overmedicating due to an arbritrary number. A few years back when I was under the care of a different doctor, she wanted to put me on a statin when my total cholesterol was only 190 for "protective benefits." I later changed doctor.

While my cholesterol numbers are high, there is a very low risk of heart diseases in my family -- all the women live to be in their 90s.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    So rather than fake test results, have an accurate test and have an honest discussion with your doctor about the pros and cons of statins and why you're averse to the idea. Your medical care is a partnership, and you are the senior partner. He has no ability to forcibly medicate you against your will - all he can do is talk to you or offer to write a prescription. If you can't have an honest relationship with your doctor, you should definitely get another doctor with whom you can.

Getting an accurate picture of the situation helps you both, and he may have other recommendations on ways to manage cholesterol that don't involve statins.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tell the doc that the side effects are not worth it. Lots of patients have those talks with their doctors.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Eat normally. Get the proper results. Go from there.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you have problems with cholesterol try drinking a cup of betroot-lemon juice couple of times a week, or if it's really bad, every day.
    My uncle used to do it every time his cholesterol jumped up, and for him it worked really well.
    Betroot-lemon juice has a lot of benefits, and it tastes good.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Statins don't cause joint pain in all or even most of the people who take them, but some folks have problems. My dad had to try 4 of them before he found the one that didn't cause joint pain and he's been doing well for years (major heart disease). They don't cause liver problems for most people, just some of them. I've been on one for almost a year, though I was reluctant at first. There is longevity on both sides of my family but there is also heart disease in my dad's maternal side. At first (3years) I was able to keep my cholesterol down by 30 points by eating oatmeal for breakfast every day. That stopped working. I tried fish oil, I eat carefully. My cholesterol kept climbing. So I agreed to the pill. My provider monitors my liver function closely and I would report aches and pains in a flash. My cholesterol is down and my only side effect is embarrassing, but not painful.....I fart....a lot. Could be worse ;)!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend checking out The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcolm Kendrick.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Statins don't cause joint pain in all or even most of the people who take them, but some folks have problems. My dad had to try 4 of them before he found the one that didn't cause joint pain and he's been doing well for years (major heart disease). They don't cause liver problems for most people, just some of them. I've been on one for almost a year, though I was reluctant at first. There is longevity on both sides of my family but there is also heart disease in my dad's maternal side. At first (3years) I was able to keep my cholesterol down by 30 points by eating oatmeal for breakfast every day. That stopped working. I tried fish oil, I eat carefully. My cholesterol kept climbing. So I agreed to the pill. My provider monitors my liver function closely and I would report aches and pains in a flash. My cholesterol is down and my only side effect is embarrassing, but not painful.....I fart....a lot. Could be worse ;)!

How high was your cholesterol when your doctor finally insisted on medication?
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

Fish oil does nothing for someone with a per-existing condition.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Fish oil does nothing for someone with a per-existing condition.

FIFY. Many studies, no evidence of efficacy. The hypothesis that w-3 protects against heart disease originated with the Inuit. Turns out the Inuit have a gene adaptation that changes how they respond to saturated fats. It is the gene adaptation, not the w-3, that is the protective factor.

• veggiecanner
    Options

I actually do follow a pretty good diet, but I do eat eggs to up my protein, not every day, but maybe 2 to 3 times a week. I don't think I'm "fooling" my doctor because I'm not stuffing myself with donuts and high fat foods as a rule.

However, I do want to avoid the statin due to the side effects of joint and muscle pain, as I already have some significant pain due to osteroarthritis. My mom (also slim with a reasonably healthy diet) was put on them and had to stop because of acute pain. I also have concerns about doctors overmedicating due to an arbritrary number. A few years back when I was under the care of a different doctor, she wanted to put me on a statin when my total cholesterol was only 190 for "protective benefits." I later changed doctor.

While my cholesterol numbers are high, there is a very low risk of heart diseases in my family -- all the women live to be in their 90s.
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Tell the doc that the side effects are not worth it. Lots of patients have those talks with their doctors.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend checking out The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcolm Kendrick.

Ditto.
  • veggiecanner
    Options
    my colesteral was high and I had a stroke, wish I had the statins sooner. Their alot better than this. My colesteral Is heretitary, I had 2 uncles that died from it too.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    10 days of change won't impact LDL or HDL; these are better long term bio markers of cholesterol (transport). Triglycerides on the other hand are more sensitive to transient short term changes...i.e. Eating before a lipid panel will spike triglycerides in contrast to having negligible effects on LDL & HDL. Fish oil is only effective for triglyceride lowering; can increase HDL slightly (about single digit % increases) & can be variable on LDL, anywhere from 0-40% increase (proposed theory is due to DHA...VASCEPA (eicosapentanoic acid/EPA) has not shown this increase in LDL in clinical trials).

It's like a type 2 diabetic trying to cheat on a blood glucose test...one reading he or she can get away with, but there's no fooling an HbA1C test (reflects past 120 days)...unless of course you can somehow use someone else's blood.
    There is nothing wrong with "statins", it's always about determining risk vs. benefit. Google atherogenic diet or TLC diet; lifestyle changes are ALWAYS recommended before pharmacological therapy.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    OH MY PEOPLE....take the test and get the result...change after not before. what is wrong with you guys.