"Preparing" for a cholesterol test.

Options

Replies

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If you've had it to here with it, the thing that needs "flushing" is the drug pushing. Consider asking them point blank how many drug company mugs they currently own and informing them there will be no statins going down your throat, possibly followed by shopping for a new doctor. This will likely not be the last time they push drugs first, especially if you aren't blunt about it, and it may not be as glaringly obvious the next time.
  • rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My total cholesterol is 235 and my ldl is only slightly over 130. My dad can't take statins but my mom does. My dad has muscle damage from taking the statin drugs his cholesterol runs around 400 Both my parents eat a healthy diet and exercise they are both in their 70's and walk at least 10,000 steps a day. I told my doctor about my concerns with taking the drugs she is ok with me not taking them because my bad cholesterol is only slightly over and my ratio of good to bad is really good. My brother is taking a statin and has no problems.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    So rather than fake test results, have an accurate test and have an honest discussion with your doctor about the pros and cons of statins and why you're averse to the idea. Your medical care is a partnership, and you are the senior partner. He has no ability to forcibly medicate you against your will - all he can do is talk to you or offer to write a prescription. If you can't have an honest relationship with your doctor, you should definitely get another doctor with whom you can.

Getting an accurate picture of the situation helps you both, and he may have other recommendations on ways to manage cholesterol that don't involve statins.

And who knows what other plans or decisions the doctor might be making based on these results - not necessarily related to the statin? And doesn't cholesterol testing usually involve a blood draw? So OP you'll get stuck with a needle and blood drawn just for fake results - is this your idea of a good time or something?

Repeat: you're an adult and no one can force you to go on medication you do not want. If you're going to take a test, I suggest you let it return results that reflect the true state of your body
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Why would you try to trick your dr? Either you trust your dr and need to be honest, or you don't, so find a new dr.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm your opposite. I try to eat as normal as possible so that my test results will be accurate.
    Isn't that what everyone would want? Real numbers?

This.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I guess the other question is what is "normal" eating? I eat red meat about once a week (or less -- and I did have a 6 oz. steak at the 99 on Wednesday) and have eggs two to 3 times a week and occasionally eat small amounts of cheese. I don't eat a lot of baked goods (although indulged in a gluten free brownie at church today) or processed carbs. It's not like I'm stuffing down the fries and bacon cheese burgers.

I just decided to not eat eggs until the test but I am eating some lean pork loin tonight because that was what I had planned for a family dinner. I'll just limit my portion to under 4 oz.

Regarding my numbers, my total cholesterol tends to be around 220, LDL around 140 (once it was 170 and when that happened, I didn't eat an egg or red meat for about six months to get it back down because the doctor was saying if it wasn't 50 points lower, I would be on a statin), and my HDL is usually 60+ because I exercise. I guess if the LDL and total number does turn out to be high this time around, I'll have to swear off eggs and any red meat to get it back into line or take a statin.

On an unrelated topic, your dog Corgicoke is so cute! My daughter has one that she's adopted, and it's been love at first sight.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My nan refused drugs! Slim, active and no history at all in our family she had a stroke then 6 months later a heart attack, my nan is no longer with us.....don't fake results and listen to your doctor.....as for those saying that medications only fund the pharma?? The pharma would make more money out of people having heart attacks and strokes through hospital administrations/surgery and the resulting drugs to keep you alive....I'm sick of hearing the pharma excuse for doctors using drugs!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    *runs in*

Eating eggs lowered my cholesterol.

*runs out*

*sticks head back in*

But don't try that if you have a family history and/or there's no good reason for it to be high.

*removes head from door*
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My nan refused drugs! Slim, active and no history at all in our family she had a stroke then 6 months later a heart attack, my nan is no longer with us.....don't fake results and listen to your doctor.....as for those saying that medications only fund the pharma?? The pharma would make more money out of people having heart attacks and strokes through hospital administrations/surgery and the resulting drugs to keep you alive....I'm sick of hearing the pharma excuse for doctors using drugs!

And my father had a heart attack and his cholesterol is normal. Its the whole correlation and causation thing. Just because you can site a couple of examples doesn't make it so. People shouldn't blindly listen to everything they are told. Not from strangers on a website and not from a doctor. Do your homework.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

And my father had a heart attack and his cholesterol is normal. Its the whole correlation and causation thing. Just because you can site a couple of examples doesn't make it so. People shouldn't blindly listen to everything they are told. Not from strangers on a website and not from a doctor. Do your homework.

Aren't all these people scare mongering strangers??? And none of the are doctors
    I've done my dam homework and I buried my nan! I'm sick of everyone bashing "big pharma" as though they are the devil at work! I'm just saying why fake a test? When that test could save your life and those drugs could save your life. Nan had high cholesterol, we have no family history, she was never overweight, she was fit, she never ate processed foods, she was old fashioned and cooked everything from scratch, she hadn't smoked for 20 years. She listened to my anti pharma and anti vaccine cousin who said she didn't need the drugs! And that doctors are paid to prescribe them!!! My Nan's not here now and what if there's a chance she could still be?
    All I'm saying is don't fake a test and don't listen to all the scare mongering about big pharma coming from strangers!

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    OP if you want to lower your cholesterol or increase hdl (the good kind) you could exercise. My daughter has high cholesterol and that helped her. She has changed her diet, also.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I exercise every day -- walk 30+ minutes every day, yoga 2 to 3 times a week, strength training 2 to 3 times a week, and high impact like zumba or kickboxing twice a week. That is why my HDL, the good cholesterol, is high, and my triglycerides are low. The concern from the doctor is that with an active lifestyle the LDL isn't lower.

I'm also curious about the poster who said her nan died from high cholesterol? How old was she when she passed? Was she under 60?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I exercise every day -- walk 30+ minutes every day, yoga 2 to 3 times a week, strength training 2 to 3 times a week, and high impact like zumba or kickboxing twice a week. That is why my HDL, the good cholesterol, is high, and my triglycerides are low. The concern from the doctor is that with an active lifestyle the LDL isn't lower.

That is awesome. I am sorry if you are repeating yourself. I imagine your ratio is okay? where they calculate cardiac risk.
    I hope the results are normal.
  • summerkissed
    Options

I'm also curious about the poster who said her nan died from high cholesterol? How old was she when she passed? Was she under 60?

Nan was 62 when she passed away
  • rosebette
    Options

Nan was 62 when she passed away

That is pretty young. I'm sorry for your loss.

• rosebette
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

That is awesome. I am sorry if you are repeating yourself. I imagine your ratio is okay? where they calculate cardiac risk.

My total cholesterol was 220 last time, with HDL at 60 and LDL 160, triglycerides normal. According to the cardiac assessment risk, based on age, blood pressure (mine's pretty low -115/60), weight, family history, and non-smoker status (I've never smoked), my risk for having a heart attack in the next 10 years is 1%. I guess the question I ask and that many ask is whether cholesterol alone is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease for a person who has no other risk factors.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

My total cholesterol was 220 last time, with HDL at 60 and LDL 160, triglycerides normal. According to the cardiac assessment risk, based on age, blood pressure (mine's pretty low -115/60), weight, family history, and non-smoker status (I've never smoked), my risk for having a heart attack in the next 10 years is 1%. I guess the question I ask and that many ask is whether cholesterol alone is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease for a person who has no other risk factors.
    Aspects of cholesterol are a risk factor. There is no one factor that is THE factor with cvd or cad. Hence, the 1% on your information.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

This is a question for the dr, but from personal and completely anecdotal experience (so do not trust me over your dr :) ) the answer will most likely be yes, cholesterol alone is a risk factor.
    It sounds like you are doing everything right, so are you sure it is not genetic? Some people have genetic factors and need medication, because nothing they do can fix the problem. We are currently monitoring my son for this, who is only 6, with a very balanced diet, physically active and also very thin. But still has high cholesterol.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Well, the point is moot for a while because I went in for my blood test, and it was a total SNAFU. The phelobotomist didn't have my records (even though the doctor is in the same office as lab test), and eventually she went over to the doctor's to get my records. Then the only thing I was tested for was TSH (thyroid). I needed to be tested for this anyway, but after fasting, which was completely unnecessary for the TSH, I was pretty annoyed. So I guess the lipid test will be later, so I'll have time to refine my diet more.

I do think my cholesterol might be genetic. My mom, who is 86, has high cholesterol, as did my grandmother, who lived to be 102. My mom couldn't manage the statins -- the muscle pain was too excruciating. Also, at 86, doctors are more like f- it; eat what you want and enjoy your life.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Well, the point is moot for a while because I went in for my blood test, and it was a total SNAFU. The phelobotomist didn't have my records (even though the doctor is in the same office as lab test), and eventually she went over to the doctor's to get my records. Then the only thing I was tested for was TSH (thyroid). I needed to be tested for this anyway, but after fasting, which was completely unnecessary for the TSH, I was pretty annoyed. So I guess the lipid test will be later, so I'll have time to refine my diet more.

I do think my cholesterol might be genetic. My mom, who is 86, has high cholesterol, as did my grandmother, who lived to be 102. My mom couldn't manage the statins -- the muscle pain was too excruciating. Also, at 86, doctors are more like f- it; eat what you want and enjoy your life.

A little time researching and you may be surprised who lives the longest. Those with high or those with low. I know it has been beat into everyone's head that high is bad, but the facts simply do not back that up.

Now the worrying about cholesterol may be a problem. Worry and stress in general are real causes of heart disease.