Sudden body odor? Help!!

I've been down 65 lbs and maintaining for a few months now. I've never had body odor even when I was fat. Just this week I've noticed much more armpit sweat and a strong stink. I haven't changed deodorant or increased physical activity! What could it be??

Replies

• paulcenso
    paulcenso Posts: 55 Member
    4d2onbmvqlg6.jpeg
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 540 Member
    Anything new in your diet? This can change odor sometimes.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I'm not sure what your specific body odor problem is stemming from...

I don't see any foods like hot spicy things, cruciferous/sulphur rich vegetables, etc. that would contribute to it.

The only thing i wanted to suggest was:
    1.) For god's sake man, you are eating (in my opinion) way too much meat. All i can think of is how bad your digestion must be and how much saturated fats you must be eating. Jesus. You are eating an animal product (only from what i can see) for EVERY SINGLE MEAL.
    2.) Add some fruits/veggies to your diet to ensure you are even remotely meeting your micronutrient and fiber goals.
    3.) Wash your body with an antibacterial body wash and soap twice a day.
    4.) use a prescription strength deodorant and feel free to do so in areas other than just your pits
    5.) drink more water
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Hormonal changes can affect body odour
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Without knowing anything else, are you consuming more protein or protein from different sources than normal? That's the culprit when I start stinking it up.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I remember reading a funny study a while back that studied the effect of diet on the attractiveness of body odor, and they found out that meat, especially red meat, makes intensifies odor. Dehydration can also intensify body odor. Without knowing more it's hard to pinpoint, but certain foods do change body odor, as do some supplements.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I don't see any foods like hot spicy things, cruciferous/sulphur rich vegetables, etc. that would contribute to it.

1.) For god's sake man, you are eating (in my opinion) way too much meat. All i can think of is how bad your digestion must be and how much saturated fats you must be eating. Jesus. You are eating an animal product (only from what i can see) for EVERY SINGLE MEAL.
    2.) Add some fruits/veggies to your diet to ensure you are even remotely meeting your micronutrient and fiber goals.
    4.) use a prescription strength deodorant and feel free to do so in areas other than just your pits
    5.) drink more water

I eat some form of animal based protein during 90-100% of my meals (e.g., bacon/eggs/sausage/cheese with breakfast, meat and/or cheese in snacks, meat at nearly every supper - I can count on two hands the number of times I had meat-free suppers last year). Always have, as in since childhood. More, in fact when I was low carb. My digestion is perfect. Always has been. I suffer from exactly zero GIT related maladies. And, yes, I eat a lot of saturated fat. Elevated LDL, sure. Yet I also have an elevated HDL, too. So what, no statin ever in my future. And, yes, I realize this is anecdote. But so is yours.

I could write more about the above list of suggestions, but will refrain. :)

OT? OP, it is possible if you are eating effectively low/no carb to be in ketosis. It's a well known/documented cause of off body and breath odors. Google is your friend, here. :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    It's probably a dietary change if you haven't increased physical activity. The other possibility is just normal "aging." I've had to change deodorants a few time over the years, b/c it seems like they've stopped working; it's more likely it is a hormonal change or some other personal change than the deodorant's fault.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016

5.) drink more water

I eat some form of animal based protein during 90-100% of my meals (e.g., bacon/eggs/sausage/cheese with breakfast, meat and/or cheese in snacks, meat at nearly every supper - I can count on two hands the number of times I had meat-free suppers last year). Always have, as in since childhood. More, in fact when I was low carb. My digestion is perfect. Always has been. I suffer from exactly zero GIT related maladies. And, yes, I eat a lot of saturated fat. Elevated LDL, sure. Yet I also have an elevated HDL, too. So what, no statin ever in my future. And, yes, I realize this is anecdote. But so is yours.

OT? OP, it is possible if you are eating effectively low/no carb to be in ketosis. It's a well known/documented cause of off body and breath odors. Google is your friend, here. :)

I didn't say he ate some form of protein during his meals. I said the only thing he is eating is animal protein.

2mdfdz4.jpg

I'd love to hear your response to my other points.

He is literally getting 0 fruits and veg in his diet. NOR is he getting fiber and (from what i can see) the proper vitamins/minerals.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member

5.) drink more water

I didn't say he ate some form of protein during his meals. I said the only thing he is eating is animal protein.

2mdfdz4.jpg

I'd love to hear your response to my other points.

He is literally getting 0 fruits and veg in his diet. NOR is he getting fiber and (from what i can see) the proper vitamins/minerals.

Yeah so if this a typical day, OP needs to increase the fiber.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Could be something in the crap ton of herbalife products you're consuming..

Also low carb is often accompanied by breath and body odour in the early stages.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    It could be that your deodorant has changed their formula & it's not as effective? I looked at your food diary as well. You eat even less vegetables than I do & that's not a good thing. I hate them & know I should be eating more, so I try to get at least some in every day. I have my blood tested every 3 months to find out what I'm deficient in. Right now, it's vitamins D, B12, & Iron. That's after taking 2 multi-vitamins a day. I would urge you to go the doctor and get tested as well. While you're there, you can ask about the sudden body odor & sweating. In the meantime, add more fruits & veggies to your day. You are consistently under your calorie goal--often even under the recommended 1500 minimum for a man, so you have plenty of room without even giving up any meat.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Is it an ammonia kind of smell?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2016

Also low carb is often accompanied by breath and body odour in the early stages.

I was wondering about the herbalife as well.

ps: the faucet placement is priceless OP.

seriously though, good work!
  • Christine_72

Haha you dirty girl :lol: I didn't even notice it.... until now
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Haha you dirty girl :lol: I didn't even notice it.... until now

until now....

sorry! o:)
  • Christine_72
    Hehe all good :wink:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    If it smells like ammonia, it's you burning off amino acids.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    You look great.
    It could be ketosis.
    When you burn off fat that was put down when you were eating lots of onions, garlics, other foods with strong odors, the chemical causing those odors can get deposited with the fat. It comes out through the skin. Could be that, but you've already lost most of your weight.

Important for getting ready of BO stink is soap and TIME. In the shower, soap the pits and other body creases. Let the soap sit there AT LEAST 3 minutes to kill bacteria. Then rinse.

It can also be helpful to use lemon juice or vinegar in the pits. It changes your body chemistry so it's less hospitable to stinky bacteria. I am NOT making this up. It's a problem my sons have and it's what the NIH suggests. You can also get prescription soap and deodorant.