The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    20160208_160011_zpskzj3jjij.jpg

Nosey cat not included. But I have an orange male I'll send ya.

I'll get them out ASAP. I'll try to PM you when I send yours. Good thing my knee is gimpy :wink:
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    20160208_160011_zpskzj3jjij.jpg

Nosey cat not included. But I have an orange male I'll send ya.

Nice!!! Looks fantastic!
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    CariTJR wrote: »
    getting there slowly. ☺

Those first 2 words are the only ones that matter. Remember the Desiderata: "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself." The only valid comparison is your today-self with your yesterday-self. If your today-self is better is some way than your yesterday-self, you win!

Thank you. I was the slowest in my group, BUT I didn't give up and walk any of it. I just plodded along at my own pace, and was really quite pleased with myself that I didn't give up at any point, even on the big hills, as it would have been easy to do so.

I actually have a framed copy of the Desiderata, thanks for the reminder, its easy to forget those wise words.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Those look great!!! Can't wait to get one :) Thanks again for coordinating shipping!
  • Jennalynn1765
    Jennalynn1765 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First time with this challenge and fairly new with running, I'm going to set my goal at 35 miles.

2/1 2 miles
    2/2 2 miles
    2/3 2 miles
    2/4 2 miles
    2/5 2 miles

......total so far 10 miles, 25 to go.

Welcome!

Thank you
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - they look great! Love the cat peeking in. Thanks for coordinating the shipping. Please let us know if there are any shortages.

@skippygirlsmom - I would say come next year and run Daytona with me, but you will be at the state meet with Skip!! In 2019 we can do it!

@CariTJR - no amount is too little to post. Even 1 mile, is still more than everyone sitting at home watching TV. :smile: We all started there too.

Ok, I am NEVER posting in advance what exercise I am doing. Last week on Wed I posted Strength training. Then I get a call from my trainer -- he was sick and then I ran instead. So Friday I posted Strength Training. Get a call -- still sick! Today I posted "massage!!!". Get a call that the heat broke at the salon and I could come in but the person that just left was freezing. We don't need much heat in Orlando, but it was cold the last couple days, and all this week.

So today, I decided to do a recovery run instead. As soon as I set out I realized my upper arms (biceps/triceps) were very sore! What the heck? I've never had that happen (except once when I decided I would try carrying a water bottle and that arm was virtually limp the next day). I didn't feel anything yesterday or today with them until I ran. I am really into Chi running and I usually relax everywhere but gosh they were sore when I started out. After .5 mile, they were fine.

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - Strength training 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - New PR 2:18:57!!!
    Feb 8 - 3.05 mile recovery run.

exercise.png

3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K
  • KnordRW
    KnordRW Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Yeah, the Penguins 6.6k is sponsored by the Lemieux Foundation, so of course it makes sense! :smile:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run
    2/4 – 11.04 long speed work
    2/5 – scheduled rest day
    2/6 – 15.00 long speed work
    Weekly total 62.16 vs. target 62

2/7 – 11.35 easy 1.5 hour
    2/8 – 5.96 easy + 4 strides

February total to date – 65.46

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – Almost like a rest day today. The assignment was "easy plus 4 strides," and with the specified workouts this week, my off days need to be pretty short. Weather was nice enough, 39° F (4° C) and not enough wind to notice. It was dark by the time I got to run, but I have lights. I had a hard time seeing a dark runner with no lights and nothing reflective, running with traffic on the same shoulder where I was running against traffic. But I had a good headlamp, and a motorist backlighted him to make him noticeable, so I didn't run into him.

Folks, the lights aren't just so you can see. They're so I don't run into you, or a clueless motorist doesn't decide to drive for a while on the shoulder just where you are. I know, here I'm preaching to the choir.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    USPS is updating its payment process, so I have to wait to print the labels. I have emails, so I'll be sure to send tracking info.

Transparency- USPS had a price increase to 6.40/flat rate box. There are 17 small boxes. (108$ in postage) two larger boxes and 3-4 foreign addresses. I have 104$ collected in shipping. Plus the adjustment from custom ink, I think we'll cover shipping cost.

Good news, if your are in the UK I'll get yours off tomorrow. I really don't want to burden the postal staff to address and mail out 21 items at once. One nice fella is a runner.

Thanks for sending them all my way. I can't tell you how much fun my cats had with something new in the house.
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    2/6 1.57 miles
    2/8 2 miles
    3.57 down, 16.43 to go

Thanks everyone for the congratulations and encouragement! The trail I take my dogs on has a ton of small steep hills. I had to walk up them day before yesterday, but not today! I increased my distance to 2 miles today and didn't have to walk any of it. Then, I did leash training with my teenage pup, and he was able to maintain a perfect heel for 42 paces ~ a new record for the wild and crazy dude! I also learned some exciting new math: sports bra x 2 = new mommy's bff. Lol. It was a pretty awesome and positive jog today; the sun even came out and it was 49 degrees:).
    Here is Sherman, the 8 month old puppy I found running stray back in September when he was itty bitty & far too cute for my own good:

p8wlu2zo8eax.jpeg

uj9lfb3tvhb5.jpeg
    @ddmom0811 I wanted to congratulate you on breaking your record! Woot!
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Rolling Hills preset program Level 3. 7 miles. Felt fatigued tonight. Ran through it.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    A Slow Stretch and Recovery Run after the HM yesterday. 6 km at about 7:30/km. I did say sloooow.
    Then off to the Swimming Pool to hit the Hot Tub and let the legs get a good Water Jet Massage. Swimming Lessons tomorrow promise to be difficult.

02/01 – 0.0 Km – 140 km – 150.8 Km
    02/06 – 9.0 Km – 9.0 – 131 – 159.8 Km
    02/07 – 21.1 Km – 30.1 - 109.9 – 180.9 Km
    02/08 – 6.0 Km – 36.1 - 103.9 – 186.9 Km

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Welcome! Don't be intimidated. We're all a little goofy.. Wait, maybe that's just me...

Speak for yourself! I'm a LOT goofy.

And gonna be worse after surgery, and enforced no-running days/weeks.

I can imagine. I'm waiting on this knee to line back out, and all I can think about is how I'm gonna make up lost miles and if I'll be able to do the Saturday group run.
    @Elise4270 - and you were so worried about running with that group! Hope your knee is feeling better!
    I love how the t-shirts turned out and how interested your cat is! Thanks again for handling the processing and shipping to us!
    @9voice9 - I too have surgery in a few weeks (on my hand) but was able to get the surgeon to bring the no running edict down from 3 months to two weeks! As soon as I get the stitches out and the hard cast on I can do whatever cardio I feel up to! Yay!!
    @ddmom0811 - love your medal! I got my race shirt (long sleeved :( considering how hot it is I am not sure when I will get to wear it) and I bought a couple of shirts at the expo that weren't super expensive.
    @karllundy - so sorry about your MIL. Hope she improves and you can get back to running :)
    @rune1990 - I think feeling cold after a race is just your bodies way of recovering - it is trying to cool you off and you're all sweaty so the air feels so cold even though it is hot.
    @Calli1616 - what is going on that you aren't feeling so good? Are your runs not feeling good or you just aren't feeling well in general? We might be able to help if you are having an issue with running.
    @_nikkiwolf_ So far I'm loving being able to see without my glasses/contacts, but I was so nervous for the procedure!! I was laying on the table just thinking how stupid I was for making this decision!! But my eyes were really bad and I've had glasses since grade school so it was time. Maybe some day you will be able to do it :smile: . And I agree with rest being better than risking my sight, just hoping my sanity holds on long enough for me to be able to get back in gear, we will find out today.

I'd almost look into it. My eyesight has gotten bad enough I hate being without my glasses. But can still see close, so constantly on and off with them. It'll be nice to be out and about without corrective wear!
    My distance vision is now 20/15 but my up close vision is deteriorating quickly - sucks to get older!
    @skippygirlsmom - again congrats to Skip! I hope the run will be good on Saturday. How is PT going?
    @doctorallenisin - Welcome to our crazy group and good luck with your goal!
    @CariTJR - You are doing great! We all started with small increments and sometimes even runs as small as 0.5-1.0mile. Keep going and you will be amazed at your progress!
    @Wendy1Fl - your pup looks so happy! Great job on your run and on his learning to stay with you!

I think I am sort of caught up now! This Challenge is hopping!
    I ran a short recovery run this afternoon when I could get away from work - too bad it was close to 90 out and only 10% humidity (note it was 20 degrees above normal today and set records). The saving grace was the wind at a nice 20 mph to keep it at least somewhat manageable. I did do quite a bit of walking though. I really needed to get out and get my legs moving - they were just too stiff and we have agility class tonight. I need to be able to move.

Date..........Miles.........Total
    02/01.......4.15..........4.15 - Treadmill run at the hotel
    02/02.......0.00..........4.15
    02/03.......3.55..........7.70 - Treadmill run at the hotel
    02/04.......0.00..........7.70
    02/05.......4.12........11.82 - Yay for running outdoors!
    02/06.......0.00........11.82
    02/07.....13.20........25.02 - Surf City HM
    02/08.......4.50........29.52 - Agility

exercise.png

These are my upcoming races, let me know if you are going to be running too:
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half, Huntington Beach, CA
    02/20/16 - Special Edition Divas Half, Temecula, CA
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    A question for the group - have any of you heard of or participated in an Age Graded event? It is a way of normalizing results across age groups so you can compare a 50 yo's result to a 25 yo's for example. They did this for the Surf City races and it was pretty interesting (and encouraging at least for me). My age graded result was 60% for my AG and that placed me at 1162 out of almost 12000 finishers!
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2016
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    A question for the group - have any of you heard of or participated in an Age Graded event? It is a way of normalizing results across age groups so you can compare a 50 yo's result to a 25 yo's for example. They did this for the Surf City races and it was pretty interesting (and encouraging at least for me). My age graded result was 60% for my AG and that placed me at 1162 out of almost 12000 finishers!

I've heard of it. But not yet experienced it. Nice results! Whoo!

Something about having a mess in the floor and sitting in it, made my cats nuts.

I realized today that I work the weekend, so no group run unless I work around it... I may run it by my manager though.. But 12 work days straight...I might be exhausted and might think about skipping it. Going right back to work after 6-8 miles? Eh, probably no fun, no shower...
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I GOT TO RUN TODAY!!
    For one whole minute!! (a couple of times)

PT is going really well so he said I could try a little run to see how the muscle feels. So I was allowed to cycle thru a few times to see if I could do it without obviously hurting. Then he gave me a running plan to follow. 2 min walk, 1 min run. I'm going to lose my mind with that, but at least I can start again! And I started swimming lessons today, so that will help all around.

I see the light! I see the light!
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - I'm having foot issues. My left foot is going numb on my runs - and Wednesday's run had sharp pains in the calf/shin also on the left side. Friday I got a numb foot about half way through my run and then Sunday it was the last quarter mile that it started numbing. I am following the "if I ignore it it will go away" method of care! ;)
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! :smiley:
    Virkati wrote: »
    I GOT TO RUN TODAY!!
    For one whole minute!! (a couple of times)

PT is going really well so he said I could try a little run to see how the muscle feels. So I was allowed to cycle thru a few times to see if I could do it without obviously hurting. Then he gave me a running plan to follow. 2 min walk, 1 min run. I'm going to lose my mind with that, but at least I can start again! And I started swimming lessons today, so that will help all around.

I see the light! I see the light!

• Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Calli1616 wrote: »
    @shanaber - I'm having foot issues. My left foot is going numb on my runs - and Wednesday's run had sharp pains in the calf/shin also on the left side. Friday I got a numb foot about half way through my run and then Sunday it was the last quarter mile that it started numbing. I am following the "if I ignore it it will go away" method of care! ;)

Have you tried messing with your shoe lacing? I had problems a lot like this last year and it was due to my overdeveloped arch being slightly larger on my right foot. A staffer at my favorite running shoe store suggested I lace up looser on that foot and I haven't had the numbness since. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of the source of the numbness soon. It can get quite discouraging!
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Another mile added to the goal.
    8/15 miles done.
    The thread is moving fast on me. But thanks again everyone for the support and inspiration.

I know nobody is questioning my effort by check this pic I took when I finished today's mile.
    First of all, my pace is very low. I walked 3 minutes/ran 2 minutes.
    Some people walk faster than I "run" but I don't care. I'm not competing against anyone but the person I was yesterday. And I will get faster.
    Secondly check out my heart rate!!! The great thing about it is that I didn't even feel too short of breath. Which I understand as my cardiovascular capacity improving. The pic shows 3MPH but I finished the last 2 minutes running at 6 mph. Hence the elevated heart rate. The HR is accurate from my HRM and chest strap.
    ohmmie0q6jsf.jpg

xyfkyhubfxc7.png