The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Skip's episode sounds scary! (And having just binged 6 seasons of House, it sounds very House-worthy!). Hopefully it won't happen again and it was just a weird fever spike!

@Elise4270 Thanks again for doing all the shipping! You are a rockstar!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm going for 75 again. and try to get back up to 13 miles on weekend runs

1-personal training episode. so sore
    2-nothing, not feeling well
    3-slept in. still not feeling great
    4-see above, and then transmission cracked
    5-car hunting
    6-car hunting
    7-4.75 miles. I added hills to my treadmill work out. oh the suck
    8-nothing
    9-i was on the way to the gym. because it was icy i didn't want to run outside. so icy, i hit a parked jeep with my 2 day all new to me car. :frowning: no gym for me
    10-yoga tonight. a little sore from the accident, but i'm really concerned about the race this weekend. I've not been able to train like I'd like to due to flares and accidents. I'm not sure how I'll do
    11-no run. fell asleep by 7pm
    12-slept like a rock thru my alarms
    13-race day

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

• Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Date.................KM...................Total
    2/7....................1.19.................1.19 (Run)
    2/10..................1.85.................3.04 (Walk)
    2/11..................1.88.................4.92 (Walk)
    2/12..................8.8.................13.72 (Bird Count Exercise)

Had gone on a Campus Bird count expedition, walked 8.8 KM in the trails. It was fun recording those birds :)

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift I thought the same thing about House and that would give me an excuse to come to Jersey ;-)

Thanks everyone, she hasn't had any other problems so hopefully it was because of the fever.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 ! Message (with address) sent, and thanks again for organizing all this. I'm trying to wait out an injury (Morton's Neuroma or Metatarsalgia or ... a hurt foot, I guess), so I haven't been attending too well!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    2/1-3 slow miles + lots of yoga
    2/2-5.4 miles+ strength training
    2/3-7 miles
    2/4-rest day
    2/5-3.6 miles hill sprints +strength training
    2/6-6.3 miles
    2/7-12.2 miles
    2/8- 3.3 easy miles + yoga
    2/9-4 miles speedwork on treadmill+yoga
    2/10-7 miles
    2/11-3.5(?) miles +yoga

Was in a bit of a funk when I got out of work yesterday. Lots of stuff on my mind plus a bit of the winter blues. I had planned on doing hill sprints, but it was dark and cold and I just felt like I needed a nice head clearing run. So I left the Garmin at home and just ran. Felt spectacular. Not a very long run, but I finished it off with some good yoga and today I feel much better. Going to tackle those hill sprints tonight!
    exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    In case any of you minimalists is interested--Vibram Five Fingers men's shoes on sale: http://sport.woot.com/plus/vibram-mens-shoes
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good Morning running fans. I had another good run this morning. It is so good to feel my strength and endurance slowly come back.
    exercise.png[\img]
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    2/01: 3 miles, easy, 8:36 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/02: 5 miles, tempo, 8:22 pace + 40 min x-training
    2/03: 5 miles, speedwork (4x800m at 5K pace) + 45 min strength training + core
    2/04: Off (bad head cold -_-), 45 min x-training
    2/05: 4 miles, easy, 8:40 pace
    2/06: 5 miles, 3 miles at race pace (averaged 7:43) with warm up/cool down + 55 min strength training + core
    2/07: 8 miles, long and easy, 8:39 pace
    2/08: 3 miles, easy, 8:40 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/09: 5 miles, 6x2 minutes at 5K pace with 2 minutes recovery jog between plus warm up/cool down
    2/10: 4 miles, easy, 8:54 pace + 45 min strength training + core
    2/11: 1 mile, quick, 6:52 pace + 45 min x-training
    2/12: 5 miles, easy, 8:45 pace
    Total: 48.31 miles

Recap:
    Nice, easy 5 miles today. We had another frigid morning in Chicago (9 degrees F with 13 mph winds), and some light fluffy snow during my run. Not enough to to really stick though or make the sidewalks too slippery. Another great run and a great start to the day :)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    2/20 - Mardi Gras Chaser (5K)
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 sorry the run didn't work out. Skip had some sort of an episode on Tuesday. Doctor wasn't sure if it was a seizure or not. She was putting cereal in a bowl and next thing I know she was walking around, dropped the bowl on the floor, was dropping cereal all over the house while she walked bouncing off the counters like she was drunk. She ended up in the living room stiff as a board on the recliner. I grabbed her yelling her name and she finally said why are you screaming at me. She was burning up. She said the last thing she remembered was pouring the cereal and getting dizzy. It was wild. Took her to the doctor she has a double ear infection and strep. He thinks that a sudden spike in her temp might have caused it. She did something similar last week but more of just being dizzy. If it happens again he will start doing tests. He recommended she doesn't Drive until we are sure it was nothing. Never a dull moment. Thanks for asking.

Oh my. I hope she is OK. Prayers out to Skip. :open_mouth:
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Shirts have been mailed. Total shipping expenses were 213USD. Collected shipping costs were 143USD. If custom ink send a check or two, well be even. I'm not sweating it.

I donated the collected shipping fees to St Jude's. So, if you feel completed, I think theres a link on my profile page. :wink: Every little bit helps. (I signed up to help raise money for the RNR half.. ) so, congratulations! You guys bought a pair of crutches for a kid at St Jude's! Awesome-sauce! Maybe that kid will be a runner...

I'm hoping everyone got tracking info. If I sent yours from the postal store, you don't have it- I don't know why, but they haven't sent it (probably can not read my handwriting).
    My understanding is that if it went flat rate its insured for 50USD.

Yaaaaay! Big kudos for doing this. Let me know if CustomInk did not send the $43.12 refund check.

• DCKgirl03
    DCKgirl03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I don't know your situation or if she has other health issues. But that sounds quite similar to something my daughter experiences when she has a high temp. They're called confusional seizures according to the paediatric neurologist she sees. We watch for them every time she has a high temp now. They're scary to watch and see, she'll be completely disorientated, drop where she is or lose control of limbs and muscles, she'll swap languages or be totally fuzzy and disorientated. I'm not sure how it works in the states but in Canada they made sure we saw the peds neurologist when I brought her in to ER. And we now follow up with him and do tests just in case. It might be worth seeing if you can get a referral to a neurologist.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Shirts have been mailed.
    Mine arrived yesterday. THANKS!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95
    2/3 4.5 miles - 19.45
    2/4 7 miles - 26.45
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 16 miles - 42.45
    2/7 REST DAY
    2/8 10.5 miles - 52.95
    2/9 7.5 miles - 60.45
    2/9 3.2 miles - 63.65
    2/10 6.4 miles - 70.05
    2/11 7.5 miles - 77.55
    2/12 6.3 miles - 83.85

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

Since we didn't do the Fleet Feet run last night, nor did i go out for a second run, my plans are to do another 3 easy tonight. Long run tomorrow.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    @Elise4270 ! Message (with address) sent, and thanks again for organizing all this. I'm trying to wait out an injury (Morton's Neuroma or Metatarsalgia or ... a hurt foot, I guess), so I haven't been attending too well!

Oh that's awful. I had (may still have?) Pain in the Morton's-ish area. MRI revealled nothing in that area. Doc said sprain. But mine only hurt when DH walked by and squeezed my foot. Easy fix.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Shirts have been mailed.
    Mine arrived yesterday. THANKS!

Sweet! Yours was first out and UPS!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom -I hope Skip is ok! Sending well wishes to both of you!
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom My daughter had a brief episode of mild seizures that were triggered by pain in her case. Fight? no way, she'll Flight every time. I hope it's nothing serious!

Super cold outside today -23c (-10f) with the windchill. I was already cold when I got home from work, in fact I would have swore on my children's lives the heat wasn't working in my vehicle...but I can't prove it. I knew I could go run outside and get warm, and it would be ok, but I would pay for it when I got home by being even COLDER!
    Oh yeah, and there is snow on the road so my feet will be soaked. That's just extra to top up the excuse meter.

So, I used the treadmill. So glad I did actually lol. Looks like my next run will be just as cold so will probably be inside again.

2/01 - x-train
    2/02 - 4 miles that came nice and easy
    2/03 - nada
    2/04 - 3.4
    2/05 - x-train
    2/06 - 3.3 11'20 split
    2/07 - total sloth day. I like sloths, I don't like sloth days.
    2/08 - 4.4 was a great run
    2/09 - x-train on the stationary bike. Now that is a torture device. Does it have its own nasty name?
    2/10 - 4.3 snowy slippy miles
    2/11 - x-train on the tortu- i mean stationary bike.
    2/12 - 3.3 on the treadmill

exercise.png

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    2/1.....................REST..................0.00
    2/2.......................6.50...................6.50
    2/3.......................5.00.................11.50
    2/4.......................5.00.................16.50
    2/5.....................REST.................16.50
    2/6...................... 7.50..................24.00
    2/7.....................20.00..................44.00
    2/8.....................REST.................44.00
    2/9.......................6.25..................50.25
    2/10.....................4.00..................54.25
    2/11...................REST.................54.25
    2/12.....................6.00..................60.25

exercise.png

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    May 14, 2016 Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50K (Portersville, PA)
    June 4, 2106 38 Mile Night Fun Run (Kettle Moraine State Forest, WI)
    October 1, 2016 Cloudsplitter 100 Mile (Pine Mountain, KY)

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In spite of the fact that I feel like I'm coming down with a cold or something, I took Kody out for run in light snow and finished with 7.8 easy miles. I had wanted to sprinkle in a few strides in there but the snow was covering up any potential ice below so after nearly wiping out on the first one, I gave up on that idea.

Tomorrow I'm heading out for an early morning trail run. It should be -7ºF when I get out there! Hell yeah!!
    louzd1jerezv.jpeg

@skippygirlsmom, so sorry to hear about Skip!! That is some very scary stuff! We had an incident with our daughter and super high temps when she was an infant and it was one horrible night (everything turned out fine). Will be praying for you guys!

@vandinem hope you get that foot pain sorted out soon! I had metatarsalgia early last summer and it took several weeks to get over it.