The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I finally get a chance to get home before 9 pm last night, so I pour me some bourbon, I fix dinner, I pour me some bourbon, I get cozied up with the fire, I pour me some bourbon and then I realize I actually have some free time to do whatever I want.... so what do I do?
    :/
    #Ineedalife

1l48m7nuxpij.jpg

This made me laugh!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - If the run only set you back one day, that's pretty cheap tuition in the school of hard knocks. Now you have an example of what "shouldn't run today" feels like.

Yes, definitely get the hinge brace. I have no idea how it supports the knee, but I've learned that when a medical professional tells me to use something to support an injured part of my running chain, there's a good reason to use it. I might not understand the reason, but that doesn't mean I don't need it.

I was gonna walk today, grabed running gear. It so nice out. I sat too long at work and it's stiff again. So, pity hamburger, phoned about the brace, and suppose since you said so, I'll fetch it.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

@stoshew71 Skip and I were going to come down to FF tonight, you know I want to see the dog LOL, but she's got some health issues that are keeping her home and I don't want to be that far away from her.

PT was great today, after next week I'm going from twice a week to once a week. I haven't had any pain doing normal things (like moving) some discomfort when I run, but I haven't run since Saturday. Life has been a bit of ***** lately so I need to make sure I get my run done in the morning from now on.

We're not going now. Jennifer changed her mind. It's her birthday so you gotta do what she wants to do. Instead of doing the fun run, she wants to go out for dinner now. So now I got to figure out how to get 3 extra miles in tonight after dinner cause I purposely went short on my run this morning. blahhhhh

What's wrong with Skip? :open_mouth:

I am glad PT is going good for you.

• Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    2/6 Sat 1.57 miles
    2/7 Sun rest day
    2/8 Mon 2 miles
    2/9 Tue 2 miles pace 13:03
    2/10 Wed rest day
    2/11 Thurs 2 miles pace 13:00
    7.57 down; 12.43 to go
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/5: Rest day (hallelujah!)
    2/6: 9.5 miles with the Saturday crew
    2/7: 18 miles LR
    2/8: 6.1 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/9: Rest day
    2/10: 7 miles speedwork (am), 10 miles (pm)
    2/11: 6 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew

Another chilly one! Same temps and wind chill as this morning, but without the sunlight to warm us up! Ran in a tight group for the first 3 nice and easy (~8:55 pace) and then dropped the pace to sub-8 for the second loop because it was so darn cold! These are the days when I'm glad I prep a week's worth of dinners in the crock pot on Sunday, because it was so nice to come home and warm up with a big bowl of chili.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    2/01: 3 miles, easy, 8:36 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/02: 5 miles, tempo, 8:22 pace + 40 min x-training
    2/03: 5 miles, speedwork (4x800m at 5K pace) + 45 min strength training + core
    2/04: Off (bad head cold -_-), 45 min x-training
    2/05: 4 miles, easy, 8:40 pace
    2/06: 5 miles, 3 miles at race pace (averaged 7:43) with warm up/cool down + 55 min strength training + core
    2/07: 8 miles, long and easy, 8:39 pace
    2/08: 3 miles, easy, 8:40 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/09: 5 miles, 6x2 minutes at 5K pace with 2 minutes recovery jog between plus warm up/cool down
    2/10: 4 miles, easy, 8:54 pace + 45 min strength training + core
    2/11: 1 mile, quick, 6:52 pace + 45 min x-training
    Total: 43.28 miles

Recap:
    Today was a cross-training day, but the gym was nearly empty and my legs were itching to run so did 1 mile fast on the treadmill to jump start my cross training. Sometimes a girl has just got to run!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    2/20 - Mardi Gras Chaser (5K)
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 sorry the run didn't work out. Skip had some sort of an episode on Tuesday. Doctor wasn't sure if it was a seizure or not. She was putting cereal in a bowl and next thing I know she was walking around, dropped the bowl on the floor, was dropping cereal all over the house while she walked bouncing off the counters like she was drunk. She ended up in the living room stiff as a board on the recliner. I grabbed her yelling her name and she finally said why are you screaming at me. She was burning up. She said the last thing she remembered was pouring the cereal and getting dizzy. It was wild. Took her to the doctor she has a double ear infection and strep. He thinks that a sudden spike in her temp might have caused it. She did something similar last week but more of just being dizzy. If it happens again he will start doing tests. He recommended she doesn't Drive until we are sure it was nothing. Never a dull moment. Thanks for asking.
  • sleepigrl
    sleepigrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm way behind on posting here....and I feel like I'm a little behind on miles, but I think that will work out by the EOM.

2/3 - 3 miles
    2/6 - 4 miles - first ever beach run!
    2/10 - 2 miles (actually, this was a brisk walk but I'm gonna count it!)
    2/11 - 3.5 miles

12.5 miles/ 30 mile goal

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run
    2/4 – 11.04 long speed work
    2/5 – scheduled rest day
    2/6 – 15.00 long speed work
    Weekly total 62.16 vs. target 62

2/7 – 11.35 easy 1.5 hour
    2/8 – 5.96 easy + 4 strides
    2/9 – 11.08 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/10 – 6.01 easy
    2/11 – 11.75 warm up, speed work, cool down

February total to date – 94.30

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – 2 miles easy, 4 x 1600m at T pace, 8 x 200m at I pace, 3 miles easy. This workout brings a new meaning to the "easy 3." It feels a lot different after 4 x 1600 at T and 8 x 200 at I.

In other news, I found time to register for Johnny's and Spring Forward. One less errand on my to-do list.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Skip had some sort of an episode on Tuesday. Doctor wasn't sure if it was a seizure or not.
    My gosh, that's terrifying.

Closest I ever came to anything close to that scary was waking up the boys one Sunday to get ready for church (the oldest was about 3 or so, as I recall), and seeing a long brown drip on his pillow. FREAKED ME OUT! His ear is bleeding! We rushed to the E.R., and found out 15-20 minutes later that he had a low fever that had melted ear wax and therefore his brain wasn't dripping out of his head.

I really hope Skip feels better soon. Worst feeling in the world for a parent is a kid who's sick.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @stoshew71 sorry the run didn't work out. Skip had some sort of an episode on Tuesday. Doctor wasn't sure if it was a seizure or not. She was putting cereal in a bowl and next thing I know she was walking around, dropped the bowl on the floor, was dropping cereal all over the house while she walked bouncing off the counters like she was drunk. She ended up in the living room stiff as a board on the recliner. I grabbed her yelling her name and she finally said why are you screaming at me. She was burning up. She said the last thing she remembered was pouring the cereal and getting dizzy. It was wild. Took her to the doctor she has a double ear infection and strep. He thinks that a sudden spike in her temp might have caused it. She did something similar last week but more of just being dizzy. If it happens again he will start doing tests. He recommended she doesn't Drive until we are sure it was nothing. Never a dull moment. Thanks for asking.

Oh my, prayers for Skip, family and docs.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Had to get to work 2 hours early for a software implementation that wasn't going to fail, and can't be tested (because it's patching a hole that no longer exists). Got to the end of the day, and didn't feel like running, so went for a 2-mile walk instead. Can't get too far behind my totals, losing the end of the month to surgery and recovery as it is....
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

That sounds incredibly frightening. Praying for Skip and for you!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Second speedwork session for the week went ok, as I'm getting closer to my peak pre-marathon fitness based on my half mile repeat pace today (6:20). Need to get the weight back down, but I don't have an A-race for 9 more weeks (Ironman Florida 70.3), and can probably knock off 10lb or so by then. Taking tomorrow off from running as I'm doing a hammerfest early morning group ride with my tri team and won't have much left in my legs after that ride.

2/1 - 4 miles (up/down part of Park City mountain through 2 feet of powder)
    2/2 - 5.5 miles
    2/3 - 1 miles (pre lift warmup)
    2/4 - 10 miles (7 mile tempo run + 3 recovery)
    2/5 - 5 miles
    2/6 - 10 miles
    2/8 - 9 miles
    2/9 - 12 miles (w. 3x15 min @ 7:15/mile pace w. 90 sec recovery)
    2/10 - 5 miles
    2/11 - 12 miles (8 miles speedwork + 4 mile late recovery run)

Total: 73.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 106.5 miles

@skippygirlsmom - Good luck with the diagnosis. Elevated temperatures seem to do some pretty crazy things to a body.

@5beautifuldays - hoping you have better princess weather than my disney marathon weather. 50 should be just about perfect for a PR. I think amazon still had a few types of asics arm warmers on sale for $2-$3 ("add on" item for prime members) when I checked this week and those may be a good temporary solution and could even fit in your pockets if you don't want to toss them off.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    February goal 40 miles.
    3.36 miles on February 3rd, 3.42 miles on February 4th. Trying to run 10 miles per week,unfortunately on the treadmill this month. Total is 6.78 miles so far.
    HM on 5/7.

2/8 3.9 miles. Total is 10.68 miles

2/9 3.84 miles. Total is 14.52----1/3 of the way to goal.

2/11 4.39 miles. Total is 15.08. Getting more fit. 2.5 minutes to recover after pushing myself to 93% max heart rate.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    3.4 miles today, 27.4 out of 60. It was a really hard run today, I just can't get my clothing right and I ended up really hot and sweaty. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy some shorts, I hate my legs so much and I never get them out!
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Date.................KM...................Total
    2/7....................1.19.................1.19 (Run)
    2/10..................1.85.................3.04 (Walk)
    2/11..................1.88.................4.92 (Walk)

Just did bit of walking on 11-Feb. Haven't run this week.

exercise.png

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    angie_kins wrote: »
    I've been having some motivation problems this week. I bailed out on two runs just minutes after starting, just couldn't get myself to do it. I'm trying not to dwell and just focus on my next opportunity, but does anyone have any advice for getting yourself to keep going when you don't want to?

A few thoughts:
    Usually, the first km or 2 of every run feels a little uncomfortable while your cardiovascular system kicks into gear. If you can keep going up to that point, it will start to feel better.
    What is your goal? e.g. to run a certain distance, to participate in a race, etc. Clarify your goal so you know why you are running. It is hard to stay motivated without a goal in mind.
    I agree with @Elise4270 with walking when you don't want to run. Walk first until you're ready to run, or take walking breaks in between running.
    Maybe you are running too fast, so running feels really hard and effortful; if so, run slower.
    Take motivating music to listen to. I could have never kept on running if I didn't have music to listen to.
    Think of the extra food you can eat after you have burned all those calories running!
    Tell yourself, "I'll only do a short run today"; then if you're feeling better at your turnaround point, keep going!
    Remember how good you feel after you have done your run. No one is ever sorry for going out for a run, although they may be sorry if they don't.
    Don't talk yourself out of it! You can do it.
    Good luck with your next run.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - oh my goodness, that sounds so scary. Prayers for Skip and you!
    michable wrote: »
    angie_kins wrote: »
    Tell yourself, "I'll only do a short run today"; then if you're feeling better at your turnaround point, keep going!
    Remember how good you feel after you have done your run. No one is ever sorry for going out for a run, although they may be sorry if they don't.
    Excellent tips! The rest are good too, just really liked these.

Weather has been very nice in the afternoons for running the week, so ran after work yesterday. I didn't stress too much about possibly missing the run because I knew no matter what, I was going! It was one of those glorious runs where you just feel like you could go forever. So great. But, I had to get back to get ready to meet people out for dinner so had to turn around at 3 miles.

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - Strength training 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - New PR 2:18:57!!!
    Feb 8 - 3.05 mile recovery run.
    Feb 9 - 1 hour spinning class
    Feb 10 - Strength training
    Feb 11 - 6 miles
    Feb 12- repair/recovery day

exercise.png

3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Shirts have been mailed. Total shipping expenses were 213USD. Collected shipping costs were 143USD. If custom ink send a check or two, well be even. I'm not sweating it.

I donated the collected shipping fees to St Jude's. So, if you feel completed, I think theres a link on my profile page. :wink: Every little bit helps. (I signed up to help raise money for the RNR half.. ) so, congratulations! You guys bought a pair of crutches for a kid at St Jude's! Awesome-sauce! Maybe that kid will be a runner...

I'm hoping everyone got tracking info. If I sent yours from the postal store, you don't have it- I don't know why, but they haven't sent it (probably can not read my handwriting).
    My understanding is that if it went flat rate its insured for 50USD.