The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A book (on running no less), fire, booze! Sounds amazing! That's living as far as I'm concerned!
    I finally get a chance to get home before 9 pm last night, so I pour me some bourbon, I fix dinner, I pour me some bourbon, I get cozied up with the fire, I pour me some bourbon and then I realize I actually have some free time to do whatever I want.... so what do I do?
    :/
    #Ineedalife

1l48m7nuxpij.jpg

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays - It probably will be cold at the Princess run. I wore a Nike very thin jacket and on top of that a sweatshirt and gloves. Mile 1 the sweatshirt came off. I was willing to just throw it to the side but decided to wrap it around my waist until I saw homeless people to give it to but never saw any. Mile 5 the gloves and jacket came off. I wasn't willing to lose the Nike jacket or gloves so I put gloves in pockets with zipper and wrapped that around my waist. It didn't bother me at all running and in fact was nice to have that sleeve to pull up to wipe the face. :) Because it had been raining the two jackets were wet so no good to warm up. February in Orlando is bizarre - it is going into the 30s tonight but will be in the 80s in a couple days probably. You probably will be cold afterward but a hot shower/bath will fix it.

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - Strength training 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - New PR 2:18:57!!!
    Feb 8 - 3.05 mile recovery run.
    Feb 9 - 1 hour spinning class
    Feb 10 - Strength training - at last.

exercise.png

3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Backs away and quietly closes out the thread........
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run
    2/4 – 11.04 long speed work
    2/5 – scheduled rest day
    2/6 – 15.00 long speed work
    Weekly total 62.16 vs. target 62

2/7 – 11.35 easy 1.5 hour
    2/8 – 5.96 easy + 4 strides
    2/9 – 11.08 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/10 – 6.01 easy

February total to date – 82.55

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – 25° F (-4° C) and 16 mph W wind felt cold compared to the unseasonably mild weather we've had lately. Held a pretty steady easy pace, and it felt wonderful. Speed work yesterday, and more speed work tomorrow; easy is just the thing for today.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 - that sucks, but at least you have a diagnosis and a plan of action. And better than no running at all. Hang in there! I would suggest checking online for the shoes. I've had pretty good luck in the past with finding previous year's models at a decent price. Amazon is a good place to start, but if you search around you may find other options.

@ddmom0811 - I love a good spin class! The class I usually go to has this crazy adhd instructor. At first I found him incredibly annoying (he sings loudly and off tune, and dances on his bike), but I've gotten used to the antics and its actually a killer class.

@WhatMeRunning - sorry about the crap run, but I have to admit I got a little chuckle from your post - sounds like many of my runs lately

@Elise4270 - A couple of years ago I had just bought a pair of new shoes, and then like two weeks later scheduled ankle surgery. For almost six months it was torture to look at the shoes knowing I couldn't use them. But they waited patiently for me :)

6ish miles done today. First mile sucked, miles 2-5 felt pretty good, and then the last mile sucked. I did lift yesterday, and pretty sure I was a bit tired from that. I've been struggling with motivation lately, and I wonder if it's from the lifting. I recently switched from doing body part splits, to full body workouts. Oh well, 36 miles down, 64 left to go.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    February goal 80 miles

2/1 3.8
    2/2 4.17
    2/3 bad life day
    2/4 4.00
    2/5 3.82
    2/6 preparing a Superbowl Luau
    2/7 hosting a Superbowl Luau
    2/8 sick
    2/9 4.02
    2/10 10.00

Total 29.81

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• DCKgirl03
    DCKgirl03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No running for me today
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys/gals for letting me have a vent here!

Feeling better about things today. A family member is going through a scary time right now and we are all worried for the outcome. Prognosis right now is good until they get further test results so holding onto hope! Running is usually how I deal with frustration, anger and sadness.. I know I need to get physiotherapy, though I am just going to make do with what exercises I can for now. I will run slow and easy and listen to my body.

@michable thanks! I had SPD with baby no. 2 also. Funnily enough, physio fixed it several months after the birth and now it is the same side that needs work now! I am going to try and look up SPD exercises (the ones I used to do), although I don’t have SPD anymore, I think the exercises will help with alignment again.

Thanks @Calli1616 and @Elise4270 .. I am not giving up!
    Welcome to all new runners!! This is a great, supportive place – You’ll love it here!
    @ddmom0811 Yes! Shoes here are expensive!! I’m hoping the Brooks last me a lifetime, compared to what the Nikes do anyway.. The store assistant said the Brooks should last up to 800 or so km’s.. Much better than the 300km are capable of!
    @WhatMeRunning I’m feeling better about things today. Life could be worse! And the upside.. I still have the all clear to run, just not too much distance for now! :smiley: Thanks so much for the list of exercises!! I am going to get to the bottom of it so I can get back out there. Still planning to do the half in March, though most of it will be walked now, that’s all.

@kristinegift I’m hoping I might be able to get to physio in a month or so. Unfortunately with school fees, girl guide fees and a new trombone for my daughter will be taking priority over the next few weeks. There are 5 of us living on one wage basically so physio just can’t happen for a little. Glad I managed to get a trip in to see the Podiatrist though.. She was able to tell me so much about my gait and she wrote a letter up for my physio too so he will know exactly what is happening.

Thanks @Elise4270 for the exercise list!! :smiley: Never heard of bird dog, bear crawl or inchworm though.. They sound intriguing :lol: I’ll start youtubing them soon!

@Stoshew71 You are amazing how you can see all that from the photos! Thanks so much for the link! Reading now!! I just wish there was a way I could guide my knees apart more while running for the time being.. Doesn’t seem to matter with monitoring my form – I just can’t get that left knee to move over so it is definitely the hip!
    @Virkati Haven’t heard of clamshells before today so making a list of all of these exercises! Thanks again to everyone sharing exercises!! Feels so awesome knowing you are all so supportive here and helpful! I have read a little about the bands – I am going to see if the store has a cheap one that I can use.. We have a few of those shops here that sell cheap exercise equipment so I’ll try and pick one up. Glad your PT can see some recovery happening there!!
    @GBrady43068 I am making progress! I’m kicking butt and I’m going to be an awesome runner..… One day! :lol:
    Thanks @5BeautifulDays x Donkey Kicks! Right… Another one to research! :smile:
    @MorningGhost14 and @Stoshew71 I read a book a little while ago, Running Like A Girl by Alexandra Heminsley – Not a lot of info on how to run but it was a fun read and it was comforting to read about her own journey with starting to run and leading up to several marathons!

@ka97 Thanks!! I will get these shoes through the store, but definitely hunt for them online for the next pair!

Onwards and upwards!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Thanks @Elise4270 for the exercise list!! :smiley: Never heard of bird dog, bear crawl or inchworm though.. They sound intriguing :lol: I’ll start youtubing them soon!

Onwards and upwards!!

Actually, those are from runnersworld.com. There may be you tube vids. They posted them last week and I copied them to the "need to do" list.

Clamshells may seem easy, like uh these are stupid. Doing them right and slow help a great deal. .
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »

@Elise4270 - A couple of years ago I had just bought a pair of new shoes, and then like two weeks later scheduled ankle surgery. For almost six months it was torture to look at the shoes knowing I couldn't use them. But they waited patiently for me :)

Oh that's so sad.. I'm choked up. Glad you two got back together!

I'm diggin' mine. Ran through the low water crossings, no slipping. Plowed through some mud, still chunks to the bottom like "normal" shoes. Got home and still have 'em on (4 hours later). I usually have them off the second I'm in the door. So, we must be made for one another. :yum:
  • KnordRW
    KnordRW Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Well, today was supposed to be day 2 of my week 1 5K training program. Unfortunately, I didn't plan the timing of things out too well and it was too dark to do anything outside near me. So, I did something different, an indoor YouTube c25k video. Definitely a different kind of workout than doing it outside. The one I did is https://youtu.be/9nhuZPAVHGg.

So here's me so far:

Sunday 2/7 - Outside modified c25k intervals, 16:30 completed of 30:00 program, followed by 35 minute walk
    Monday 2/8 - Upper body strength
    Tuesday 2/9 - "Rest" day (only 14k Fitbit steps)
    Wednesday 2/10 - Virtual Treadmill c25k You Tube video 30:00 plus 1:10 walking indoors
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/5: Rest day (hallelujah!)
    2/6: 9.5 miles with the Saturday crew
    2/7: 18 miles LR
    2/8: 6.1 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/9: Rest day
    2/10: 7 miles speedwork (am), 10 miles (pm)

7 miles this evening, speedy and fueled by a giant afternoon study break coffee. Then 3 more right after with some ladies who were attending a women's running seminar that my running store hosted. Seminar was good; a lot of stuff I already knew, but that just means I've been doing good research :blush: 17 mile day though... I was feeling it by the last mile of the day! Looking forward to a "short" 12 mile day tomorrow.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @kristinegift :astonished: I'm in awe!

Shirts boxed and will be sent tomorrow! Except @vandinem, I need an address. I'll send an email. Perhaps he's on MFP sabbatical.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    A little 8 km run along the River Bank Trails - in the dark. We have had 3 warm days so lots of Suicide Ice and then back to bare pavement. Legs are still a little tender and recovering.

02/01 – 0.0 Km – 140 km – 150.8 Km
    02/06 – 9.0 Km – 9.0 – 131 – 159.8 Km
    02/07 – 21.1 Km – 30.1 - 109.9 – 180.9 Km
    02/08 – 6.0 Km – 36.1 - 103.9 – 186.9 Km
    02/10 – 8.0 Km – 44.1 - 95.9 – 194.9 Km

exercise.png
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I made a Running Book wish list. I already have Daniel's Running Formula book and Maffetone's 1:59 book. I also have The Runner's World Big Book of Marathon & HM Training. So obviously they won't be on my wish list.

Born To Run – Chris McDougall - ISBN-13: 978-0307279187
    Advanced Marathoning – Pete Pfitzinger - ISBN-13: 978-0736074605
    Lore of Running – Tim Noakes - ISBN-13: 978-0873229593
    80/20 Running – Matt Fitzgerald - ISBN-13: 978-0451470881
    How Bad Do You Want It – Matt Fitzgerald - ISBN-13: 978-1937715410
    Build Your Running Body – Pete Magill - ISBN-13: 978-1615191024
    Explosive Running – Michael Yessis - ISBN-13: 978-0809298990
    Big Book of Endurance Training & Racing – Phil Maffetone - ISBN-13: 978-1616080655
    You (Only Faster) – Greg McMillan - ISBN-13: 978-1620304426
    16 Weeks to a Faster Marathon – Jeff Gaudette - ISBN-13: 978-1475035841
    Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide – Hal Higdon - ISBN-13: 978-1609612245
    Running to the Top – Arthur Lydiard - ISBN-13: 978-1841263359
    Running The Lydiard Way - ISBN-13: 978-0890370964

Anyone else read & have any book suggestions to share with the group?

I should post this in the group so we can have a reference later on.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332797/running-books

My 2 favorites:
    1. Hanson's Marathon Method - Luke Humphrey
    2. Eat and Run - Scott Jurek / Steve Friedman
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Oh and 10.1 miles, TM. 7:50 pace tonight.

Congrats everyone on your runs.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @5BeautifulDays - It probably will be cold at the Princess run. I wore a Nike very thin jacket and on top of that a sweatshirt and gloves. Mile 1 the sweatshirt came off. I was willing to just throw it to the side but decided to wrap it around my waist until I saw homeless people to give it to but never saw any. Mile 5 the gloves and jacket came off. I wasn't willing to lose the Nike jacket or gloves so I put gloves in pockets with zipper and wrapped that around my waist. It didn't bother me at all running and in fact was nice to have that sleeve to pull up to wipe the face. :) Because it had been raining the two jackets were wet so no good to warm up. February in Orlando is bizarre - it is going into the 30s tonight but will be in the 80s in a couple days probably. You probably will be cold afterward but a hot shower/bath will fix it.

I was looking at the historical temps for February--they are really wide differences! It looks like the historical averages are in the high-40s/low 50s for overnights; that's not too bad. I don't mind running above freezing, but I'll definitely want a jacket to wear before the running starts. It sounds like there is a lot of standing around waiting beforehand.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1---6.10
    2---rest
    3---6.25
    4---6.26
    5---not enough rest day
    6---15K
    7-9--busted knee.
    10-- 6.30 a very slow run. Lots of walking. Knee is fine-ish (seems mostly superficial pain), still not recovered from race.. Legs are tired. I've also cut my calories back, and that may be an issue.

(3.58 miles behind schedule)

34.35/Goal 110+ miles

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016  134.39/2016
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Onwards and upwards!!

Actually, those are from runnersworld.com. There may be you tube vids. They posted them last week and I copied them to the "need to do" list.

Clamshells may seem easy, like uh these are stupid. Doing them right and slow help a great deal. .

Clamshells rock! They help me with my knees, and SI Joints. My doc showed me a stretch for my SI joints, but it takes a partner. I can mimicking them alone, but nowhere near as effective. Clamshells became a great alternative.
    (Don't know if it's noticed, but there's a theme with joints and such for me. After ruling some things out the next thing to look at when we can is RA. It runs quite rampant in my family. )

Some of you have talked about an app or something for walk/Run intervals that chimes after each min or whatever you set it for. I looked, but didn't really find any, could somebody point me in the right direction. I'm wondering if I would do better consistently if I keep it at 1 min intervals, and just increase intervals.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Ran with a neighbor tonight in some cooler and windy weather (w. gusts up to 40mph) and ended up pushing him faster than his usual pace as I struggled to stay warm as I wasn't able to get my HR over 105 otherwise. Usually I'm totally OK plodding along with him at 11.5 min/miles (as it is his 75% Max HR pace) but I'll know next time to adjust my wardrobe so I don't end up pushing him too hard. Still, he's been running for over a year now, so some speedwork (for him) may be a good change and it was probably under his threshold rate anyhow.

2/1 - 4 miles (up/down part of Park City mountain through 2 feet of powder)
    2/2 - 5.5 miles
    2/3 - 1 miles (pre lift warmup)
    2/4 - 10 miles (7 mile tempo run + 3 recovery)
    2/5 - 5 miles
    2/6 - 10 miles
    2/8 - 9 miles
    2/9 - 12 miles (w. 3x15 min @ 7:15/mile pace w. 90 sec recovery)
    2/10 - 5 miles

Total: 61.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 118.5 miles