Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2/1 - Rest day. Semi-planned.
    2/2 - Snow Day
    2/3 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/4 - 5.1 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Sore knee this morning...hoping it is from shoveling and not running related. Didn't get worse when I ran, so I am going to cautiously push through.
    2/5 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/6 - Life day...too busy to squeeze in a run :-(
    2/7 - 5.4 windy miles, but warm for Feb.
    2/8 - Another life day. Wife's mother in hospital not well, so she is out of town...gotta get kids to school, etc.
    2/9 - 4 miles on treadmill. Convinced all three kids to go to the Y with me after dinner.

Upcoming Races:
    2/13/16 - Red Flannel Run (5 mi.)
    4/9/16 - Beer and Bagel Off-Road (~4 mi.)
    4/30/16 - HyVee Road Races Half
    6/4/16 - Dam to Dam Half

exercise.png
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2/01: 3 miles, easy, 8:36 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/02: 5 miles, tempo, 8:22 pace + 40 min x-training
    2/03: 5 miles, speedwork (4x800m at 5K pace) + 45 min strength training + core
    2/04: Off (bad head cold -_-), 45 min x-training
    2/05: 4 miles, easy, 8:40 pace
    2/06: 5 miles, 3 miles at race pace (averaged 7:43) with warm up/cool down + 55 min strength training + core
    2/07: 8 miles, long and easy, 8:39 pace
    2/08: 3 miles, easy, 8:40 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/09: 5 miles, 6x2 minutes at 5K pace with 2 minutes recovery jog between plus warm up/cool down
    2/10: 4 miles, easy, 8:54 pace + 45 min strength training + core
    Total: 42.28 miles

Recap:
    Nice chilly easy run today! 0 degrees (F) with windchill, 10-12 mph winds, and a nice little layer of snow on the ground. I was nice and warm in my sugoi tights, wool socks, and puffy lululemon running jacket though :)

“There’s no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.” I don't agree 100% with this quote, but there are a lot of weather conditions that I tend not to run in that are actually quite runable.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    2/20 - Mardi Gras Chaser (5K)
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Please know that I read every post, and am cheering you on, or sympathizing ( @Virkati and @skippygirlsmom and @moyer566 ....) but by the time I read them all, and get to the end to post an update, I can't remember most of who did what!

Same here. I've been reading these threads on my phone with greater frequency in order to better keep up, but doing any sort of responding on the phone is a pain in the butt. When I finally get to the computer, it's hard to remember who's been doing what without going back and rereading.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hey I got a stupid question! I promised myself I could run tomorrow, but the knee isn't 100%. It probably 60-75%. But running doesn't hurt. I can almost walk without a limp. Tomorrow I'll be 9.88 miles behind schedule. That's a critical distance. Been off it sun-tuesday..

@Elise4270 - Two years ago in your situation, I would have gone out and run to hit the mileage target. And because not running was driving me nuts. And because I'd convince myself that because it wasn't as bad as it had been, it's good enough.

That was two years ago, when I was in training for my first half marathon. I got through that training, and finished the half; but in 20-20 hindsight, I was injured and should have taken more time off. I ended up being compelled to take time off two weeks after that half, starting with 3 weeks in a boot unable to even walk 10K steps per day.

Now, I'd say that the mileage goal can be a counter-productive incentive. Yeah, you can go out and run. Yeah, you can hit that mileage goal. But if you make the knee worse, you could also end up with an extended period of couch time. That sucks.

My rule of thumb is, if I can't walk normally I shouldn't run. "Almost walk without a limp" isn't walking normally. Take more time off now, or risk taking a whole heck of a lot more time off later. Then whenever you do come back, come back slow and with ridiculously short distances at first. Build very, very gradually.

Running lots of miles is fun. It draws applause on the forum. But it's more important to recover well from injury, and avoid future injuries. If that means running half the miles (or less than half) that you intended, it's worth it.

This is hard stuff. There is no bell that rings when you get it right; there is only pain when you do too much. I've run through stuff that I wouldn't run through now, and I've paid the price in couch time. That's a higher price that I want to pay again.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I think what upsets me is I have friends who buy the cheapest of cheap shoes and can run in them trouble and pain-free.. Others who go and get fitted for shoes, run out of the store and never look back.

I've just tried to get to the bottom of things for so many years I feel a bit mistrusting I guess. So many physios telling me so many different things. The Podiatrist did play back my walking & running video from the treadmill and I just can't believe how terrible I look while running! My knees actually lock together and it looks like I'm about to fall flat on my face with every step! I'll include some photos from the past few months as examples.

vukw61mga88b.jpg

You can see in this photo - My left knee comes in and touches the right knee on its way through :confused:
    5xt69v2delqp.jpg

Cost of physio is another thing I am concerned about. I'm still at home full-time with my youngest. I can't afford much physio at all.. It costs $80 per session and my physio doesn't offer 30 minute sessions unfortunately. My husband constantly has a sore back from work so I push him to go to physio when we have the money for it. Will just have to try and get in next fortnight and work on the exercises for as long as I possibly can I think until I can afford to go again.

Aside from all of this.. Does anyone here have a pair of Brooks Vapors and how do you find them?

Yeah, your hip is over adducting with a bit of medial rotation on the right side.
    If you read my blog on bio mechanics, that would make total sense. :-)

http://therunningstan.blogspot.com/2016/01/running-biomechanics-primer.html

I think others provided some good glute and hip exercises. Also, when you run, try to imagine that you have a quarter squeezed between your butt cheeks that you are trying to keep there in place. This forces you to engage your core muscles and glute muscles which need strengthening.

@runner_girl83
    I had some pelvic misalignments, if you do too, that probably will require a PT. I had an up-slip, forward rotation , something torqued, then the opposite side had to be adjusted from adjusting to the fix. I can't tell you how much that helped me. My PT said if I didn't disrupt the alignment for 6 weeks, the ligiments across my sacrum would adjust. I self check alignment daily. I can usually see it in the mirror, the illiac crests sit uneven. (Thanks twins, well maybe, I have other issues too).

Maybe you can work out a payment plan with them. I'm so much better, I have muscles that engage and are stronger for it. I don't think you'd regret professional help.

Edit: I don't think hip triangles were mentioned. They helped me with hip abduction. And core bracing.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @runner_girl83 I'm still in PT for some of the same issues you're having.
    Clamshells, done properly (I had to practice the properly part) were the number one exercise he wanted me to do because it isolates the muscles I needed to strengthen.
    The bands that go on your ankles and walk sideways from one end of the room to the other...omg absolutely brutal and I felt them 24 hours later, but they are phenomenal.
    Standing on the edge of a platform that is roughly 6 inches off the ground and lift your leg to the side (leg raises standing up) watch your toes, they want to pronate out, that's a no-no.
    https://runningphysio.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/wpid-photo-29-may-2012-1850.jpg (the second image is what he's having me do now)
    BOSC thing, upside down so you're standing on the flat part, do squats...WAAAAY harder than it looks.
    Side leg raises just while you're standing somewhere. That's the one I've been doing every time I think about or can feel my hip.

PT says he can see the work I'm putting in even at home, so hopefully these will help you too. Of course the caveat is...if it HURTS don't do it. Like wanna punch someone in the face type of hurt. Just grunting and groaning and hating him weren't enough to be able to not do them lol.

I really hope you can find a way to get in to the physio and start getting professional help. I'm officially on board now with heading straight to PT if something ain't right.
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've got to start working on lower body strength, I will be looking into some of those exercises posted. Best to head injury off by being proactive eh!

2/01 - x-train
    2/02 - 4 miles that came nice and easy
    2/03 - nada
    2/04 - 3.4
    2/05 - x-train
    2/06 - 3.3 11'20 split
    2/07 - total sloth day. I like sloths, I don't like sloth days.
    2/08 - 4.4 was a great run
    2/09 - x-train on the stationary bike. Now that is a torture device. Does it have its own nasty name?
    2/10 - 4.3 snowy slippy miles

exercise.png
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    2/1.....................REST..................0.00
    2/2.......................6.50...................6.50
    2/3.......................5.00.................11.50
    2/4.......................5.00.................16.50
    2/5.....................REST.................16.50
    2/6...................... 7.50..................24.00
    2/7.....................20.00..................44.00
    2/8.....................REST.................44.00
    2/9.......................6.25..................50.25
    2/10.....................4.00..................54.25

exercise.png

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    May 14, 2016 Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50K (Portersville, PA)
    June 4, 2106 38 Mile Night Fun Run (Kettle Moraine State Forest, WI)
    October 1, 2016 Cloudsplitter 100 Mile (Pine Mountain, KY)
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I may have missed or may have forgotten...you have twins?!? Me too! Its like a twisted, demented club.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - I may have missed or may have forgotten...you have twins?!? Me too! Its like a twisted, demented club.

Oh it is! Mine are Boy/Girl and they are 20. (Neither of them run :weary: )Yours?
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    I finally get a chance to get home before 9 pm last night, so I pour me some bourbon, I fix dinner, I pour me some bourbon, I get cozied up with the fire, I pour me some bourbon and then I realize I actually have some free time to do whatever I want.... so what do I do?
    :/
    #Ineedalife

1l48m7nuxpij.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Crappy, crappy, extra crappy, full of crap sort of crappy run. Luckily I didn't crap anywhere. But everything sure felt like crap. Actually, my last 3 runs wound up crappy in the end, not reaching my goal in any of them.

I must be doing something wrong...gotta re-evaluate things. It's either the focus on speed/strength taking some sort of toll on endurance (even on today's 3x1600m intervals), or I'm just pushing too hard in general.
    decadd7edb6b1014ca0cb7a1afcb8ea3.png
    2/1 - 4 miles
    2/2 - 4.3 miles
    2/4 - 4 miles
    2/6 - 11.1 miles
    2/8 - 9.5 miles
    2/10 - 4.5 miles

37.4 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/30 - BattleFrog 8k obstacle course run (Kansas City, MO)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    </insert more races here>
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Crappy, crappy, extra crappy, full of crap sort of crappy run...

....I'm just pushing too hard...
    That's a good way to get hemorrhoids...
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    everyone is fine and it does suck a bit but i figured it out with the insurance and i'll be dropping it off at their service center and picking up a rental for free. deductible will hurt but it could be worse

Last time I was in an accident, a woman pulled out in front of me as I was cruising down the highway at 55mph (~90KPH). I hit the brakes, which led to me rear-ending her instead of broadsiding/t-boning her. No damage to her SUV, but smashed the heck out of my poor car. She proceeded to get out and berate me for "going too fast" and said I had to slow down because she was turning (she had a stop sign, I did not, and I wasn't speeding). Long story short, her crappy insurance company refused to even open a claim when I called to report it (illegal). So, I had to go through my insurance and pay the deductible to get my car fixed. Then, we fought her insurance for 16 months, getting ready to go to court to get my money (and my insurance company's) back. They ended up settling a week before the first court date, after the other driver got irate with my lawyer during her deposition. I keep telling myself that it all would have been so much easier if I just hadn't hit the brakes...

Soooo....At least you don't have to deal with someone else's insurance.

ETA: The small-town cops took over a month to even get the police report released, and, when they did, it made no sense. The form is just a bunch of boxes with possible choices. You fill in the number of the option that corresponds to each car (Car 1 did X; Car 2 did Y). The cop had filled out the boxes poorly and had written a mostly incoherent description of the accident. It was generally a nightmarish experience all around.

My last accident (circa 2009) was so very similar to this. Same speeds, same scenario. The driver (an 18-year-old-ish female) ended up with a very small dent on their back bumper, and the entire left side of my car was destroyed. Thankfully, I had a witness in another car who left her information with me, and the state police showed up after I called 911. I would LOVE to hear a recording of my 911 call - lots of cursing on my end. I was so irate! Turns out, if I hadn't hit her and slowed her down, she would have hit the car coming in the opposite direction (the witness who left her info). Then, of course, her parents show up and try to talk to me and start taking photos of every inch of my car (even the inside), which, of course made me even angrier. Thankfully, I didn't have to mess with insurance companies, all because I had a witness stop and leave her info, but the cop even told me that if I didn't have that wonderful witness that it could have very well gone to court since I hit her.

Thankfully, I was able to avoid much of the nightmare. I cannot even imagine what you went through. I'm glad things worked out for you in the end!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options

@MorningGhost14 I've missed your wit!

And I know you guys will all understand...I get to run today!! It will total 8 minutes, but they are going to be glorious and possibly awful, and I can't WAIT!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I made a Running Book wish list. I already have Daniel's Running Formula book and Maffetone's 1:59 book. I also have The Runner's World Big Book of Marathon & HM Training. So obviously they won't be on my wish list.

Born To Run – Chris McDougall - ISBN-13: 978-0307279187
    Advanced Marathoning – Pete Pfitzinger - ISBN-13: 978-0736074605
    Lore of Running – Tim Noakes - ISBN-13: 978-0873229593
    80/20 Running – Matt Fitzgerald - ISBN-13: 978-0451470881
    How Bad Do You Want It – Matt Fitzgerald - ISBN-13: 978-1937715410
    Build Your Running Body – Pete Magill - ISBN-13: 978-1615191024
    Explosive Running – Michael Yessis - ISBN-13: 978-0809298990
    Big Book of Endurance Training & Racing – Phil Maffetone - ISBN-13: 978-1616080655
    You (Only Faster) – Greg McMillan - ISBN-13: 978-1620304426
    16 Weeks to a Faster Marathon – Jeff Gaudette - ISBN-13: 978-1475035841
    Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide – Hal Higdon - ISBN-13: 978-1609612245
    Running to the Top – Arthur Lydiard - ISBN-13: 978-1841263359
    Running The Lydiard Way - ISBN-13: 978-0890370964

Anyone else read & have any book suggestions to share with the group?

I should post this in the group so we can have a reference later on.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332797/running-books
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    tumblr_nd9t4gUg6l1qdezf9o1_500.gif
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Crappy, crappy, extra crappy, full of crap sort of crappy run. Luckily I didn't crap anywhere. But everything sure felt like crap. Actually, my last 3 runs wound up crappy in the end, not reaching my goal in any of them.

I must be doing something wrong...gotta re-evaluate things. It's either the focus on speed/strength taking some sort of toll on endurance (even on today's 3x1600m intervals), or I'm just pushing too hard in general.
    decadd7edb6b1014ca0cb7a1afcb8ea3.png
    2/1 - 4 miles
    2/2 - 4.3 miles
    2/4 - 4 miles
    2/6 - 11.1 miles
    2/8 - 9.5 miles
    2/10 - 4.5 miles

37.4 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/30 - BattleFrog 8k obstacle course run (Kansas City, MO)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    </insert more races here>

3 bad runs in a row? Sounds like maybe a cutback week is in order.
    @MorningGhost14 LOL
    @Virkati Yaaaaay for running again.
  • TheMobileMom
    TheMobileMom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ran the past two days! WooHoo
    2/9 - 3mi
    2/10 - 3.5 mi

43.5 mi to go!