The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note - the local running store had the Asics rep in with the new 2000 v4 for a group run/wear test. I'm a neutral shoe guy, and all she had was stability, but I ran in 'em anyway. Three miles later, I told her that they're about like my Mizuno Wave 18 (about the same weight, and the same drop), and if I bought them, I would prob not have to order the wider width (like I did with Mizuno), but that I'm still loving my $20 BCG Evades.

But it was a good evening to add another 3.16 miles to my lunchtime 4.32!

Then we went out to get our Mardi Gras on with some pancakes at Cracker Barrel!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I promise I will pep up soon - I just feel a little down about this mornings appointment though..

Met with the Podiatrist this morning.. It looks like I haven't got shin splints! :smiley: I'm treating this as a bonus, of course.. The rest isn't really to be celebrated, though it's a step forward.

I have left hip instability, locking and hyper extending both knees to control it. I have opposite pedal mechanics in run vs. walk (significantly pronated in running) to control the internal knee rotation. I need to strengthen my left glute to support mechanics, need to wear neutral shoes for walking, pronated for running only. No running over 10km at max :frowning: as extensive physio is required before I can try for long distance.

No Half Marathons in the near future (not running anyway!) .. On the plus side.. Went to Athlete's Foot and picked out a nice pair of Brooks Vapors ($240).. Good stability shoe with arch support (what the POD recommended).. Told the guy I couldn't afford that... And he pulled out a pair from last season for $140!!! Even let me layby them! Bit upset about no HM ... I still plan on run/walking the HM I planned next month.. Just have to find the money for physio now :open_mouth:
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    2/6 1.57 miles
    2/8 2 miles
    2/8 2 miles pace 13:03
    5.57 down, 14.43 to go

Another beautiful sunny day and 50 F. Sherman achieved 62 paces without breaking his heel today! My sister, who declared me certifiably insane for training to run a 7.43 mile race last May, called and asked me if she could try that race with me this year. She has been jogging and wants to try it. I was pretty floored, lol. So I passed on the helpful advice I have been given from all y'all and I really hope I can stick to a training program that will get me conditioned enough to run that race without killing myself.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I promise I will pep up soon - I just feel a little down about this mornings appointment though..

Met with the Podiatrist this morning.. It looks like I haven't got shin splints! :smiley: I'm treating this as a bonus, of course.. The rest isn't really to be celebrated, though it's a step forward.

I have left hip instability, locking and hyper extending both knees to control it. I have opposite pedal mechanics in run vs. walk (significantly pronated in running) to control the internal knee rotation. I need to strengthen my left glute to support mechanics, need to wear neutral shoes for walking, pronated for running only. No running over 10km at max :frowning: as extensive physio is required before I can try for long distance.

No Half Marathons in the near future (not running anyway!) .. On the plus side.. Went to Athlete's Foot and picked out a nice pair of Brooks Vapors ($240).. Good stability shoe with arch support (what the POD recommended).. Told the guy I couldn't afford that... And he pulled out a pair from last season for $140!!! Even let me layby them! Bit upset about no HM ... I still plan on run/walking the HM I planned next month.. Just have to find the money for physio now :open_mouth:

Really that's all good news. If you can get all that lined out you'll be a stronger runner.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hey I got a stupid question! I promised myself I could run tomorrow, but the knee isn't 100%. It probably 60-75%. But running doesn't hurt. I can almost walk without a limp. Tomorrow I'll be 9.88 miles behind schedule. That's a critical distance. Been off it sun-tuesday..
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    2/01: 3 miles, easy, 8:36 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/02: 5 miles, tempo, 8:22 pace + 40 min x-training
    2/03: 5 miles, speedwork (4x800m at 5K pace) + 45 min strength training + core
    2/04: Off (bad head cold -_-), 45 min x-training
    2/05: 4 miles, easy, 8:40 pace
    2/06: 5 miles, 3 miles at race pace (averaged 7:43) with warm up/cool down + 55 min strength training + core
    2/07: 8 miles, long and easy, 8:39 pace
    2/08: 3 miles, easy, 8:40 pace + 45 min x-training + core
    2/09: 5 miles, 6x2 minutes at 5K pace with 2 minutes recovery jog between plus warm up/cool down
    Total: 38.24 miles

Recap:
    Was scheduled to do 8x400m at 5K pace with 200m recovery but it snowed ~5 inches last night so the outdoor track was a no go :sweat: Decided to keep today as speed work, but I modified the workout slightly to make it easier to do on the treadmill (who has time for all that math while you're running, converting 200m to miles...). My legs felt really strong today, like I could have done another 4 of the 2 minute intervals!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    2/20 - Mardi Gras Chaser (5K)
    3/12 - Leprechaun Leap (5K)
    3/20 - Excalibur 10 Miler
    3/26 - Chicago Quarter Marathon
    4/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    5/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @CariTJR I have the same February distance goal as yours and you're far ahead of me. So I had to chuckle when you wrote that you felt you were behind on your distance. We just need to keep trying and we'll get there! Congratulations on finding a group to run with. That will definitely help you reach your goals!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95
    2/3 4.5 miles - 19.45
    2/4 7 miles - 26.45
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 16 miles - 42.45
    2/7 REST DAY
    2/8 10.5 miles - 52.95
    2/9 7.5 miles - 60.45
    2/9 3.2 miles - 63.65

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

Did a second run this evening. Tempo 5K run and had much more energy in my legs than this morning. I need to break up my runs more often.

• Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    rohanivan wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

This is Rohan, I am new to running. I have just ran a 3K with freinds for fun and was just able to crawl past the finish line. I am planning to run my first 5K this year, I am training with Endomondo app and C25K Windows Phone Apps.
    Hope I finish my 5K with a smiling face.
    My Goal for February is 20 KM.

Feb 25 - First 5K

exercise.png

I'm new to the group too. Welcome!!
    You ran a 5k without training for it? That sounds awesome. Talk about doing it for the fun of it.
    What was your race time?

Thanks, I ran 3K without training not 5K and timing was last thing I was worried about. Must be somewhere around 45mins from start that I was able to drag myself past the finish line :smiley:
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

This is Rohan, I am new to running. I have just ran a 3K with freinds for fun and was just able to crawl past the finish line. I am planning to run my first 5K this year, I am training with Endomondo app and C25K Windows Phone Apps.

Feb 25 - First 5K

exercise.png

Welcome! It does get easier. I think the first 6 months are the hardest. Then improvement comes along just enough to keep you baited into running. :smile:
    9voice9 wrote: »
    This is Rohan, I am new to running.
    Welcome! Not sure that I can say that I've had a "smiling face" at the end of many races, but that's a great goal to have! We'll be pulling for you!

Thanks for encouragement :)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    February goal 80 miles

2/1 3.8
    2/2 4.17
    2/3 bad life day
    2/4 4.00
    2/5 3.82
    2/6 preparing a Superbowl Luau
    2/7 hosting a Superbowl Luau ( @shanaber : we went thru nearly 2 gallons of MaiTai....but there is still enough left for you to come have one....and still a bit of kalua pig and turkey!)
    2/8 sick
    2/9 4.02

Total 19.81

I'm old, and forgetful, and not that computer savvy. Please know that I read every post, and am cheering you on, or sympathizing ( @Virkati and @skippygirlsmom and @moyer566 ....) but by the time I read them all, and get to the end to post an update, I can't remember most of who did what!

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options

@runner_girl83 So glad you have some answers, although I understand your disappointment about not being able to run as much as you want. I love that you can see the positives, too, i.e. no shin splints, and a great deal on shoes. Good luck with the physio. When I went to see a physio with pelvic joint pain after baby no.5 (my pelvic ligaments were loose, my ab muscles weren't working right, and I was trying to run 3 times a week), he was fantastic! It was only about $50 /half hour session, and he gave me exercises to do in between appointments. I only saw him once a month, and had maybe 5 sessions, tops. (That was 7 years ago, so maybe sessions are a bit more expensive now). Best of luck!
  • runner_girl83
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think what upsets me is I have friends who buy the cheapest of cheap shoes and can run in them trouble and pain-free.. Others who go and get fitted for shoes, run out of the store and never look back.

I've just tried to get to the bottom of things for so many years I feel a bit mistrusting I guess. So many physios telling me so many different things. The Podiatrist did play back my walking & running video from the treadmill and I just can't believe how terrible I look while running! My knees actually lock together and it looks like I'm about to fall flat on my face with every step! I'll include some photos from the past few months as examples.

vukw61mga88b.jpg

You can see in this photo - My left knee comes in and touches the right knee on its way through :confused:
    5xt69v2delqp.jpg

Cost of physio is another thing I am concerned about. I'm still at home full-time with my youngest. I can't afford much physio at all.. It costs $80 per session and my physio doesn't offer 30 minute sessions unfortunately. My husband constantly has a sore back from work so I push him to go to physio when we have the money for it. Will just have to try and get in next fortnight and work on the exercises for as long as I possibly can I think until I can afford to go again.

Aside from all of this.. Does anyone here have a pair of Brooks Vapors and how do you find them?
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @elise4270 can't wait to get the shirts, they are awesome! Thanks again for mailing them out. Skip wants your cat so you'll have to drop him/her in our box. :smile:

Aw! She's my baby. She's only 7 months old. Best cat ever. She loves to play chase. Does the drive-by jump up and tag you thing. So cute. Never scratches. And just too freekin' smart to be a cat. How many cats can you tell to go pp, and they hit the litter box?

I bet they'd love each other. Her name is Noodles.

@skippygirlsmom If Skip wants a cat. We have 2 that I am trying to get rid of. Serious enquiry. We have 4 in the apartment when we are only allowed 2. One of the extra's was a stray in our complex that Emily took in when I said no. The second, her friend that lives in Arab was getting rid of their kitten and Emily snuck her home without our permission. Apparently mom has grown fond of them and isn't pushing Em to get them new homes.

Isn't that wonderful?! I always got shot down when I said no to pets. After we took in a Stray kitten born and left on our porch (after we already had two, a bird and a dog) fostered 9 new kitten's that the neighbor handed out to different kids in the neighborhood, and I gathered up, then had a couple older strays die in our home. We decided enough was enough. So we are nearly official empty nesters, as far as kids and pets go!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    ereck44 wrote: »
    February goal 40 miles.
    3.36 miles on February 3rd, 3.42 miles on February 4th. Trying to run 10 miles per week,unfortunately on the treadmill this month. Total is 6.78 miles so far.
    HM on 5/7.

2/8 3.9 miles. Total is 10.68 miles

2/9 3.84 miles. Total is 14.52----1/3 of the way to goal.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Tonight's run was a wonderful run! 7.3 miles, all at tempo pace.

I switched my tempo runs to Tuesday nights to try to keep up with the young punks in the Winter Warrior group but to no avail. I kept up for about a half mile, but it was soon apparent I couldn't keep up with their 7:30 pace. I did, however, average a 8:36 pace for the entire run!

I log my runs on Strava and it keeps track of your PR's for multiple distances, not just in races, but in any run. On this run I hit PR's for the 1/2 mile, 1K and 10K, and got my 2nd best time in 4 other distances.

After the run it was back to the store to enjoy a post run beer and some good fellowship.

41 out of 140 miles so far. Still on target to reach my goal, particularly since I expect my long runs to be longer than suggested. I'm going for 16 trail miles this Saturday, in spite of the bitter cold that's expected.
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Ahhh @runner_girl83 - so sorry about having to give up your HM plans! At least you now know what is going on and can move towards fixing the issues!

My run today went well. I got out my old running shoes and went in them (ASICS Gel Kayano 19) and no numbness in my foot. I could feel that there was little to no cushioning, but at least I could actually feel my foot!

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Finally had my first full speedwork session tonight following my post marathon recovery period coming to an end (as I decided to stick with 1 day/mile of recovery time rule).

I ended up doing three 15 minute threshold pace intervals (@ 7:15/mile), with a minimal 90 second recovery, and a reasonably long warm up/cool down. The intervals felt OK, but I noticed my shoes were rubbing into my ankles by the end, and the extra super-bowl & vacation weight was slowing me down. Next race is in 10 days (a local 15k) so I'll need to figure out an interim diet strategy as I'd like to shed a pound or two by then, and get back down to racing weight for my ironman 70.3 coming up in 9 weeks.

2/1 - 4 miles (up/down part of Park City mountain through 2 feet of powder)
    2/2 - 5.5 miles
    2/3 - 1 miles (pre lift warmup)
    2/4 - 10 miles (7 mile tempo run + 3 recovery)
    2/5 - 5 miles
    2/6 - 10 miles
    2/8 - 9 miles
    2/9 - 12 miles (w. 3x15 min @ threshold pace)

Total: 56.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 123.5 miles
  • nikkiplaysx
    nikkiplaysx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Nikki, and I'm a complete newbie. I just found this challenge and I love how flexible it is! I'm starting a little late, so I'm going to set my goal at a very conservative 20 miles (walking mostly) for the remainder of the month.
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    01/2….11.22
    02/2….3.64
    03/2….6.43
    04/2….2.22
    05/2….0.00
    06/2….6.26
    07/2….8.08
    08/2….2.32
    09/2….5.48
    10/2….strength day

Goal : 45.65 / 180 km

Kickstarting glute and hip strengthening exercises. Really not sure when I can get to the physio so hoping the few youtube videos I’ve come across will help a little! I can't afford to sit around and feel sorry for myself! I have walking and running commitments to meet!!

Any exercises you can share that target the glutes, hips and knees that might help? I will walk for the rest of the week as much as possible.. Hoping to do 10k on Saturday (Run 5, walk 5) for the I Love Running virtual!

Races:
    Jan 9th – New Year (virtual) 10km 1:11:58
    Jan 30th – Park Run 5km
    Feb 6th – Park Run 5km
    Feb 13th – I Love Running 10km
    Feb – Run For Mental Health 100km