2/15 3.34
    2/16 rest
    2/17 6.48
    2/18 3.12
    2/19 3.54
    2/20 rest
    2/21 6.32

Total 59.38
    1. @orphia :excited? ....I'm traveling to the mainland later that same day to see my son who is recovering from surgery to remove some of the melanoma in his brain....not sure if I'll even run it....we'll see.
    2. @skippygirlsmom : things I learned for packing for Hawaii trips: more bathing suits, fewer (NO) dresses/dressy shoes. And for the love of God....wear sunblock...see #1 above (actually, I wear a longsleeve 50spf rashguard shirt and full length compression pants to snorkel....). AND....if you have an extra $200, the Intova Sport (I got mine at Target) is THE best underwater camera I have ever found....and I have been thru a lot of 'em....
    3. @shanaber ....wine..AND a jacket. AND a view? Sweet!

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Date.................KM...................Total
    2/7...................1.19.................1.19 (Run)
    2/10..................1.85.................3.04 (Walk)
    2/11..................1.88.................4.92 (Walk)
    2/12..................8.8.................13.72 (Bird Count Exercise)
    2/13..................4.20................17.92 (Walk)
    2/15..................5.27................23.19 (Run)
    2/17..................5.32................28.51 (Walk)
    2/18..................2.28................30.79 (Walk)
    2/19..................3.20................33.99 (Run)
    2/21..................2.40................36.39 (Walk)

First 5 K.................. 25th Feb

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 4.1 km
    Feb 6 - 5.2 km
    Feb 8 - 5.3 km
    Feb 10 - 4.1 km
    Feb 11 – Hurt my back
    Feb 15 – 6 km
    Feb 17 – 4.1 km
    Feb 20 – 5 km - PB at parkrun!
    Feb 22 – 4.3 km

Total 38.1 km
    Goal 45 km

Upcoming:
    Willaura Farm to Pub 8.6 km – Saturday Feb 27

Wore my new orthotics for the first time running this morning. My back and hip felt great! But now the back of my right knee is a bit sore. If it's not one thing, it's another! LOL Guess I'll just introduce them slowly, and try again in a week if all goes well.

The sunrise was absolutely glorious this morning! Amazing purple and red.

Didn't take a photo because it faded too much before I could get to the lake (without suburbia in the foreground). One for the memory bank.
  • Orphia
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @orphia :excited? ....I'm traveling to the mainland later that same day to see my son who is recovering from surgery to remove some of the melanoma in his brain....not sure if I'll even run it....we'll see.

Oh, my dear friend, I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope your son's condition improves, and you don't have to worry too much.

Best wishes.
  • Orphia
    Options

REST DAAAAAAAAAAY <3<3 I needed this one. Still trying to get my hammies and calves to loosen up after a tough week (really, quite a few consecutive long, tough weeks). I've got lots of fun running plans this weekend! 8 miles followed by runners' coffee tomorrow, then 16 miles Sunday followed by a fellow runner's birthday celebrations which will include going to see the movie Race about Jesse Owens -- it only has 61% on Rotten Tomatoes, but the bday crew are all runners, so I think we'll dig it anyway :)

I just got back from seeing Race with my running friends! Overall, we liked it. We learned a lot of stuff about Jesse Owens and track/Olympics from the mid-30s generally, so that was cool. We also thought it was a really sanitized look at Nazi Germany (from a historian's POV, to be fair), and it felt like a fairly Disney-esque style biopic. There was almost no conflict that had any real stakes, since you KNOW Owens goes to the Olympics; everything seemed to just sort of go his way, and if it didn't it was resolved within a few minutes. Not something I'd urge everyone to see in a theater, but if in a few months you're looking for a rainy weekend movie at home with a bowl of popcorn? Definitely! It's fun. It feels good. It's about running.

@kristinegift Thanks for the review!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have added a careful 1.5 miles to my 5 this morning. Just starting back and the last thing I need is shin splints! It feels incredible to be back in the routine, though - to accept that 1.5 miles this morning was pretty much my rest day and to know that I'll be in the gym all week without sacrificing any other activity (except sleep). My 24-hour gym was a life changer. 6.5 out of 25
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Really beautiful photos. And I'm kind of jealous to read about all the bling you got. I need a new running jacket - but a bottle of wine would also be welcome ;-)

@skippygirlsmom Whee! New shoes! But you are doing the packing in the wrong order: if you put in your running gear first, all the other stuff will be on top of it. Then you have to unpack your suitcase before you can go for a run after arrival :wink:

@runner_girl83 Those water dragons look absolutely cool! Though I'm not sure what I'd think if one of them showed up on my path suddenly. I had to lough at your decription of the one hanging on to your toe - it was probably not so funny at that moment, but it does sounds hilarious ;-p

@ariceroni Congratulations on your new 5k PR. It sounds like you had a perfect race day, with great weather and the dedication to keep on going.

@vandinem Congratulations on hitting your weight loss goal! And on finding shoes in which you can run pain-free, I hope your foot recovers completely quickly.

@Ohhim Kudos on the great 15k race, awesome time!

@Orphia Lovely wildlife photos. And congrats on the new 5k PR! I'm sure you'll do great in your race next weekend! I'd rest completely the day before, and no more than a short easy run (if any) two days before. And follow @Elise4270 suggestion to have some pie - if not before the race, then have some waiting for you at home for afterwards :-)

@michable Running in those temperatures must have been super tough. I start cursing the "heat" at 22°C, and 28°C + humidity are pure torture. I'm sure running the marathon in cooler temperatures will feel a lot easier than that! Lollies as mid-run fuel sound much nicer than gels.

@username301 5k without walking for the first time in 14 month? That's great, even if the weather was horrible, congratulations!

• JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    10 miles. 50 for the week on 4 runs.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Everybody: Do you have a suggestion for a half marathon training program (preferably with an app) that combines running and strength training schedule? I've looked around and there are so many online--to the point I cannot differentiate among them. So, I wanted to get your input my trusted runners. To remind you: I started running in July 2015, since then ran 2 5k and 1 10k. My race is in the end of May 2016. Thanks much as always.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I set a new distance PR: 21.6km!
    That was totally unplanned. I didn't even think I'd get a long run in that weekend, since my sister was visiting me, and we did a lot of sightseeing and some hiking. But her flight back was earlier than I had remembered, and it was actually still half an hour before sunset after I dropped her off at the airport.
    So I decided to do the 17km I had planned for next weekend, followed by 3km of walking - I wanted to get to a total of 20km, because there was still one distance-based 20k mission in zombies!run that I had to do before I can move on to season two of the app...
    After 17km, I slowed down as planned, did a little streching - and then decided that it was too cold to be walking the last 3km, so I decided to run them instead. At 19.5km, I was still feeling good, and started to think about the fact that 20km is just a tiny bit shorter than a half marathon. When I signed up for a HM in May, I wasn't convinced I could go that far. I decided to put my doubts to rest by adding a little kilometer to the end of my run. By the time the distance was getting close to 21km, that crazy little voice inside my head reminded my that in a true HM race, I would likely have to go a little further than 21.0975km, with weaving between people and running non-perfect tangents in the curves and all that. So I decided to go to 21.5km, just to be sure. When I looked at the watch a bit later, I was really surprised to see it was already 21.6km. Were did those last few hundred meters go?
    I even had the energy to dance & jump around a bit to celebrate my "first half marathon". When I got to my apartment, I was beginning to feel my legs and opted to let the elevator carry me the last bit of the way. Still, I didn't feel anywhere near as exhausted as I would have imagined to be after running that far!

... and then when I settled down on the couch, I read @Stoshew71 's latest blog post, and immediately had a moment of remorse. Because my long run was nearly 50% of my weekly milage this week, and I increased the distance too fast. Twice guilty! Didn't last long, though, I was too happy about running half-marathon distance for the first time ;-)
    But I'll take it nice and easy this week to make up for my crazyness yesterday.

Summary of my running week:
    15.2.16: 8.0 km should have been 6km, but I tried a new route and got slightly lost
    16.2.16: 2.1 km treadmill warm-up at the gym - started slow, went progressively faster (forgot how you call that kind of workout, if it has a name)
    17.2.16: 11.4 km a little longer mid-week run because I thought I wouldn't have time for a real long run on the weekend
    18.2.16: 3.8 km easy run to the supermarket to pick up some bananas
    21.2.16: 21.6 km in 2:47h - I'm starting to believe I can run my HM in May without hitting the 3h cutoff time :-D
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - Strength training 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - New PR 2:18:57!!!
    Feb 8 - 3.05 mile recovery run.
    Feb 9 - 1 hour spinning class
    Feb 10 - Strength training
    Feb 11 - 6 miles
    Feb 12 - recovery day
    Feb 13 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 14 - 36 mile bike ride
    Feb 15 - 7.5 miles
    Feb 16 - 3.6 miles
    Feb 17 - strength training
    Feb 18 - 5.04 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    Feb 19 - strength training
    Feb 20 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 21 - 35 mile bike ride
    Feb 22 - 4.5 miles

exercise.png

3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/5: Rest day (hallelujah!)
    2/6: 9.5 miles with the Saturday crew
    2/7: 18 miles LR
    2/8: 6.1 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/9: Rest day
    2/10: 7 miles speedwork (am), 10 miles (pm)
    2/11: 6 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/12: Rest day!
    2/13: 14 miles with Saturday crew
    2/14: 7 miles
    2/15: Rest/lazy day
    2/16: 5 miles
    2/17: 5 miles (am), 12 miles (pm)
    2/18: 8 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/19: Rest day!
    2/20: 8.5 miles
    2/21: 16 miles
    2/22: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew

Nice and easy recovery run with the 6 am coffee crew! Big group today; about twice as many runners showed up than usual. It was warmer than it has been in the last few weeks, plus by 6:15 we were starting to see daylight! We didn't even have to use headlamps! :)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

1-personal training episode. so sore
    2-nothing, not feeling well
    3-slept in. still not feeling great
    4-see above, and then transmission cracked
    5-car hunting
    6-car hunting
    7-4.75 miles. I added hills to my treadmill work out. oh the suck
    8-nothing
    9-i was on the way to the gym. because it was icy i didn't want to run outside. so icy, i hit a parked jeep with my 2 day all new to me car. :frowning: no gym for me
    10-yoga tonight. a little sore from the accident, but i'm really concerned about the race this weekend. I've not been able to train like I'd like to due to flares and accidents. I'm not sure how I'll do
    11-no run. fell asleep by 7pm
    12-slept like a rock thru my alarms
    13-8k race day. freezing 1F. but i did get a PB and after not finding any particularly friendly people, i did find a few to chat and run with.
    15-went to the gym and did a 10k virtual run. it was hard physically but I was proud I did it
    16-rest
    17-yoga tonight
    18-wayward ice chunk took out rental's bumper, went back to insurance and got another car and filed a claim. sigh, no time for run today.
    19-planned rest day.
    20-7.04mi felt good. i missed the distance. the first few miles are always a struggle. it was my fastest 6-8 miles
    21-video game day (borderlands pre-sequel)

totally not making my goal but I think i needed a rest. i was literally falling asleep at my desk this week

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    michable wrote: »
    Most scary thing out running when it is still dark - spiderweb across the path at head height with a big, fat spider in it. Especially when you don't see the web before you have run through it. Then you're freaking out, trying to pull web off your face and work out if there is a huge spider on you somewhere. I have been known to turn around and run the other way if I see a big web across the path.

Next scariest thing - dogs. If I see a dog ahead in the distance on the street, without its owner, I turn right around and run the other way.

I have also been attacked by birds - I must have been running close to their nest, and maybe they had some little ones they were protecting; but they were these big ground dwelling birds, mainly black with a red crest and blue breast and a hooked beak, and they came after me snapping at the backs of my legs. I ran a bit faster. My husband has been attacked by a duck while out running.

And that's not to mention magpies that swoop during spring when they are nesting. Oh, and the occasional snake on the path, too.

I have to say that the kangaroos never attack. Even if they are as big as me, they just watch me go by.

And the water dragons!! At the lake where I do some of my shorter runs they can be up to 2 feet long.. They run onto the path right in front of you and nearly cause you to break your ankles trying to jump over them! Once I had my music up so loud I must have screamed when a big one actually ran out onto the path and towards me - Everyone on the path at either end heard me and turned to watch lol

I've even had a baby one run up and bite my toe once when I was wearing sandals.. Couldn't get it off my foot! It didn't hurt.. Just looked strange having my whole toe in it's mouth while I kicked madly to get rid of it lol

wb07unmvanqj.jpg

ab7ud41uymaj.jpg

aww, i think they look cute. they look like my dragon
    24080016620_0b661afe6d_n.jpg2016-01-10 15.36.27 by faith, on Flickr
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I kinda over did it this weekend I told myself I would run Friday and Saturday but I ended running in Sunday and today I had squats and deadlifts and felt kinda bad. Really weak on both of them. This is my problem with running. I want to run all the time and I hate rest days

@runner_girl83 that's a great story you made me laugh at that mental image
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    2/1.....................REST..................0.00
    2/2.......................6.50...................6.50
    2/3.......................5.00.................11.50
    2/4.......................5.00.................16.50
    2/5.....................REST.................16.50
    2/6...................... 7.50..................24.00
    2/7.....................20.00..................44.00
    2/8.....................REST.................44.00
    2/9.......................6.25..................50.25
    2/10.....................4.00..................54.25
    2/11...................REST.................54.25
    2/12.....................6.00..................60.25
    2/13.....................4.75..................65.00
    2/14...................12.75..................77.75
    2/15...................REST.................77.75
    2/16.....................5.25..................83.00
    2/17...................REST.................83.00
    2/18...................REST.................83.00
    2/19.....................4.25..................87.25
    2/20.....................3.00..................90.25
    2/21...................REST.................90.25

exercise.png

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    May 14, 2016 Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50K (Portersville, PA)
    June 4, 2106 38 Mile Night Fun Run (Kettle Moraine State Forest, WI)
    October 1, 2016 Cloudsplitter 100 Mile (Pine Mountain, KY)
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Been sick as dog for about nine days. Only managed 12.5 last week. Glad I pre-planned an "off week" into my training schedule.
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Had a rough weekend spending time in the hospital with my sister. I was still able to get some good runs in over the weekend.
    Sat - 1.5
    Sun - 3.1
    Mon - 3
    exercise.png[\img]
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2/1-3 slow miles + lots of yoga
    2/2-5.4 miles+ strength training
    2/3-7 miles
    2/4-rest day
    2/5-3.6 miles hill sprints +strength training
    2/6-6.3 miles
    2/7-12.2 miles
    2/8- 3.3 easy miles + yoga
    2/9-4 miles speedwork on treadmill+yoga
    2/10-7 miles
    2/11-3.5(?) miles +yoga
    2/12-strength training
    2/13-12 miles
    2/14-rest day
    2/15-3.4 miles treadmill intervals
    2/16-4.4 miles +yoga
    2/17-7.5 mile Tempo run +strength training
    2/18-5.1 miles +yoga
    2/19-rest day
    2/20-7 miles
    2/21-14 miles

Congrats on the great races everyone had this weekend. Nice job @ariceroni on the 5K PR! From your posts, I have noticed that we train at pretty similar paces. I am looking for a 5K in March to try and hit close to the 22 minute mark, so this was a nice vote of confidence for me. My last 5K was well over a year ago and since then I have run 2 5 mile races at a faster pace than my 5K PR, so I am pretty sure a PR is in the works, but I really don't know what to expect. Nice to see you did so well! For the record, I think 5Ks are one of the hardest distances to race. Kind of not looking forward to it.

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95
    2/3 4.5 miles - 19.45
    2/4 7 miles - 26.45
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 16 miles - 42.45
    2/7 REST DAY
    2/8 10.5 miles - 52.95
    2/9 7.5 miles - 60.45
    2/9 3.2 miles - 63.65
    2/10 6.4 miles - 70.05
    2/11 7.5 miles - 77.55
    2/12 6.3 miles - 83.85
    2/12 3.3 miles - 87.15 <<< Daily double
    2/13 16 miles - 103.15
    2/14 REST DAY Happy Valentines Day
    2/15 8.1 miles - 111.25 << First run of 2 today
    2/15 4 miles - 115.25 << Second run of the day. I hate cold rain.
    2/16 10 miles - 125.25
    2/17 5 miles - 130.25
    2/18 11 miles - 141.25
    2/19 6.2 miles - 147.45
    2/20 16 miles - 163.45
    2/21 REST DAY
    2/22 8.5 miles - 171.95

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10