The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - Glad the surgery was a success! Feel better soon!
    @Elise4270 - Yikes! Be careful!
    @moyer566 and @kristinegift - I had that sleep/bed issue too. Was going to go to my Trek class, but rough night of sleep for both my wife and I combined with a greyhound who thought he needed to go out twice overnight and I begged off. Might run this evening.
    @WhatMeRunning - Amen! February has been ugly all around...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Yea! Tendonitis! Like that's a great thing to have :disappointed: but so glad it won't side line me as long.

Luckily the PA is a cyclist. Thinks the added stress of group/race runs the last 3 weeks got me. It also coincides with my new shoes, that I didn't rotate in.

Where's that KT tape?
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @MorningGhost14 OMG that's beautiful! Looks like it would kill me though :D

I am fully anticipating that it will kill me as well. A 40 hour cut-off is incredibly intimidating.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 70 Miles for February

2/3 – 3.58 Mi
    2/4 – 3.63 Mi
    2/6 – 4.24 Mi
    2/7 – 6.12 Mi
    2/9 – 4.41 Mi
    2/11 – 5.40 Mi
    2/13 – 4.69 Mi
    2/14 – 7.15 Mi
    2/23 – 5.64 Mi
    2/25 – 4.55 Mi

Progress toward Goal 49.41 / 70
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    This is where my October race is being run...

e9u4bzvutky5.jpg

@MorningGhost14 take me with you

Ok.... :) You can pick from 25k, 50k, 100k or 100 mile distances. I can guarantee you that it will not sell out...lol. It is ranked as the second or third most difficult course on the East Coast. My brother and his running partner have registered for the 100 mile distance (only 16 registrants so far). I wanted to shoot for the 100k distance, but they won't hear it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    This is where my October race is being run...

e9u4bzvutky5.jpg

@MorningGhost14 take me with you

Ok.... :) You can pick from 25k, 50k, 100k or 100 mile distances. I can guarantee you that it will not sell out...lol. It is ranked as the second or third most difficult course on the East Coast. My brother and his running partner have registered for the 100 mile distance (only 16 registrants so far). I wanted to shoot for the 100k distance, but they won't hear it.

mmmmaybe I'll just stick to the door county HM. I think i'll be signing up today or tomorrow. :wink:
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I got so lost on my run today, it was more than twice the distance I set out to run :/ I did at least run it very slowly, so hopefully it won't impact my 10km race time on Saturday. I'm so annoyed at myself!

@MorningGhost14 That looks beautiful! Should be plenty of gorgeous views to keep you entertained en route.
    @9voice9 Glad your surgery went well, and I hope the healing process is trouble-free.
    @Elise4270 Glad to hear it isn't as bad as first thought. Fingers crossed you recover quickly!

So many people sidelined at the moment! I feel your pain, that was me this time last year. Weirdly though, I've actually enjoyed the process of getting back to it after being out for so long. It's like being a new runner all over again and breaking new post-injury/surgery PBs every other run. I definitely enjoy running more this side of being ill/injured than I did before!

2nd February - 40 mins cross-train
    4th February - 3.30 miles
    5th February - 35 mins cross-train
    8th February - 3.20 miles
    10th February - 3.14 miles (dreadmill)
    11th February - 3.26 miles
    12-14th February - away
    15th February - 7.04 miles
    16th February - 30 mins cross-train
    17th February - 2.18 miles (dreadmill) + 15 mins cross-train
    20th February - 3.09 miles
    21st February - 8.39 miles
    23rd February - 3.07 miles
    25th February - 5.74 miles

MTD - 42.41/50miles

Upcoming races:
    27th Feb - Richmond Park 10km
    19th Mar - Spring Riverside 10km
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95
    2/3 4.5 miles - 19.45
    2/4 7 miles - 26.45
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 16 miles - 42.45
    2/7 REST DAY
    2/8 10.5 miles - 52.95
    2/9 7.5 miles - 60.45
    2/9 3.2 miles - 63.65
    2/10 6.4 miles - 70.05
    2/11 7.5 miles - 77.55
    2/12 6.3 miles - 83.85
    2/12 3.3 miles - 87.15 <<< Daily double
    2/13 16 miles - 103.15
    2/14 REST DAY Happy Valentines Day
    2/15 8.1 miles - 111.25 << First run of 2 today
    2/15 4 miles - 115.25 << Second run of the day. I hate cold rain.
    2/16 10 miles - 125.25
    2/17 5 miles - 130.25
    2/18 11 miles - 141.25
    2/19 6.2 miles - 147.45
    2/20 16 miles - 163.45
    2/21 REST DAY
    2/22 8.5 miles - 171.95
    2/22 4 miles - 175.95 << Another daily double
    2/23 8 miles - 183.95
    2/23 4 miles - 187.95 << Another daily double
    2/24 6.2 miles - 194.15
    2/25 8 miles - 202.15
    2/25 4 miles - 206.15 << Another daily double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Feeling totally inadequate as I look at all y'all with your list of 10-15 races for this year...and I have to yet to book my first :o
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Feeling totally inadequate as I look at all y'all with your list of 10-15 races for this year...and I have to yet to book my first :o
    I may have a running disorder.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Ohhim, Thanks for the wise words. I need to remember that. Short term rests are much better than long term injuries. The marathon is my first so I'll be guaranteed a PR as long as I finish.
    @9voice9 congrats to your son! We have, or used to have, someone on these threads who lives in Japan but I can't recall who it was.
    @Elise4270 OUCH!
    @Stoshew71 I should have explained my reasoning better for the biking followed by the running. I was thinking about two benefits...teaching your body to burn fat, and learning to run the late miles while fatigued, without having to run the whole time, hopefully reducing injury and recovery time since the load is spread to other muscle groups.
    @MobyCarp on my longest run yet, 18 miles, I successfully ran the last 4 miles at my goal HM pace. I was friggin' thrilled that I was able to do it and it game me a huge confidence boost going into the race 3 weeks later.
    @MorningGhost14, I think if I saw those hills I'd abandon society and live in a shack somewhere up there.
    @virkati, YES!! Progress kicks *kitten*!

I may have a running disorder.
    FIFY

Well I decided to skip the run tonight and work instead. I found out the project schedules for a few more projects and it's looking like I'll be buried until mid April at the earliest. grrrrr....Hopefully this will be the only week that my running is affected. I think, though, that if it weren't for my knee I'd go running anyway.

Saturday will be my next run, and with temps skyrocketing to the mid 50's, it will be my first run in shorts this year. Watch out drivers, these white legs will be BRIGHT!!

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Struggled a bit today with my 5 miles but learned a couple of things about myself. At the risk of being completely ostracized here for being "a little too ... weird," I'll share.

(1) This lesson was learned during one of my wandering-brain-and-feeling-philosophical moments ... I really like to sweat. I mean, If I'm not drenched at the end of a run, I'm not satisfied. I think it might be another example of my need to control [everything]. I can't stand being sweaty when it's summer - I have no control over the weather. However, I purposefully create my sweaty self by running. So that's weird thing #1.

(2) This isn't weird, I guess, but it's a break-through for me. My running education came from high school cross country. I was trained to keep going - even if you have to slow down, don't stop in the middle of a run, just bounce along until you get your rhythm back. I get that. I even like the advice for its slightly badass quality. So - fast forward *many* years, if I have a rocky start during a run, if I'm on the TM, rather than to stop and re-start, I'm more inclined to shrug and call it a strength day instead. Today, with achy legs and thoughts of shin splints distracting me (at first), I ran .25 stopped, .75 stopped, 1 mile stopped (5.5 to 6.0 ... pulling myself together), 1 mile stopped (up to 7.0), and 2 miles (6.0). I wanted 5 miles today; I ran 5 miles today. I feel so much better about myself than if I had shrugged my shoulders and wandered off to the weight room. (yay!)

I started this month late. I'm at 19.5/25 for the month. Glad to be back. I promise not to blah blah blah too much. xo
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Struggled a bit today with my 5 miles but learned a couple of things about myself. At the risk of being completely ostracized here for being "a little too ... weird," I'll share.

(1) This lesson was learned during one of my wandering-brain-and-feeling-philosophical moments ... I really like to sweat. I mean, If I'm not drenched at the end of a run, I'm not satisfied. I think it might be another example of my need to control [everything]. I can't stand being sweaty when it's summer - I have no control over the weather. However, I purposefully create my sweaty self by running. So that's weird thing #1.

@4leighbee, I have no idea where the "too weird" part of your post is, but I total agree with you on sweating. I sweat like a horse and don't much care for hot humid weather, but one thing I really missed in my fall and winter running was coming home completely drenched in sweat. Last summer I tried tried to time my run on cooler days or after sundown, but this summer, I'm takin' on that heat!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @4leighbee - I think those things are only weird for people who don't run. Your treadmill run today was perfect in my opinion. Finding your way through the tough days to the finish is what separates the runners from the joggers.

...speaking of, what else, if anything, separates runners from joggers? It's been a while since this last came up. Might be fun.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    4leighbee wrote: »

@4leighbee, I have no idea where the "too weird" part of your post is, but I total agree with you on sweating. I sweat like a horse and don't much care for hot humid weather, but one thing I really missed in my fall and winter running was coming home completely drenched in sweat. Last summer I tried tried to time my run on cooler days or after sundown, but this summer, I'm takin' on that heat!

I agree on the sweating. I remember recess as a kid seeing sweat roll down the boys faces, the soaked ashy brown hair. I'd wipe my forehead and sides wondering where my sweat was.

Yesterday I changed out of my quick 3 mile run capris and was pleasantly pleased with the sweat soaked waist band.

Guess I've always had sweat envy. Your not weird. (I may be).
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Initially embarked on a 12 mile run late this afternoon, but once I hit the midway point, I was feeling good and had the option to turn it into a bigger loop with some extra bridges (which would conveniently get me home too late to join in at my tri-team's Thursday night swim death-march session), so I extended it out into a full 18 miler. Legs were feeling good, but like clockwork, as soon as I hit the two hour mark, the long-run-knee-soreness kicked in, although I never got tired. After I made it home, I did some stretching, and will hit the pool for a less grueling swim workout now instead of the team workout. I'm pretty curious how I'll feel tomorrow morning, as it was definitely one of my easier 18 milers.

2/1 - 4 miles (up/down part of Park City mountain through 2 feet of powder)
    2/2 - 5.5 miles
    2/3 - 1 miles (pre lifting warmup)
    2/4 - 10 miles (7 mile tempo run + 3 recovery)
    2/5 - 5 miles
    2/6 - 10 miles
    2/8 - 9 miles
    2/9 - 12 miles (w. 3x15 min @ 7:15/mile pace w. 90 sec recovery)
    2/10 - 5 miles
    2/11 - 12 miles (8 miles speedwork + 4 mile late recovery run)
    2/12 - 1 mile (pre lifting warmup)
    2/13 - 10 miles
    2/15 - 4 miles
    2/16 - 5 miles (threshold run w. 3 @ 7 pace in middle)
    2/17 - 10 miles
    2/18 - 5.5 miles (w. 10x0.25 repeats @ 5:30/mile w. 30 sec recovery)
    2/20 - 15k race (6:39 pace, 89/5500)
    2/22 - 7 miles
    2/23 - 8 miles
    2/24 - 7 miles
    2/25 - 18 miles

Total: 158 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 22 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Half Ironman - Florida 70.3 - Apr 10
    Marathon - Pittsburgh - May 1
    Half Ironman - Augusta 70.3 - Sep 25
    Marathon - Chicago - Oct 9 (if accepted)
    Ironman - Florida - Nov 5
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @4leighbee - I also agree on the sweating. In the awfully, humid days of Florida when I would come home from run, even at 5am, I would be drenched all the way to the tips of my braids (yeah, I run in braids). Since it's been cooler the past couple months, my hair stays dry and I wonder if I worked hard enough.

@MorningGhost14 - Beautiful picture. I can't imagine running that. I might as well run up the Alps. I look at a little slight incline and think "oh no, a mountain"!

@WhatMeRunning - IDK what separates the two, but I like to call myself a runner, even if I am slow. Still so excited to call myself a runner!

@7lenny7 - lol - bright legs! I have a permanent biking/running tan. Bathing suit looks weird.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ You've captured the essence of my problem with the 25%/33% limit on long runs. The arguments seem to make rational sense, but the numbers frequently don't work in the real world.

I've got some half-baked ideas about slow runners "only" training for a half marathon. If someone is targeting 2:30 finish in a half marathon, that's about the time a very good runner might run a marathon. It kinda sorta makes sense for such a runner to follow a marathon training plan in time spent running, while running half the miles of the marathon plan. Except most half marathon plans do have you run the full race distance before you get to race day.

*Shrug* I think the experts want to sound like they know more than they do.

I also recall reading about a guy who does a marathon every week, and has for years. Now he's old, and about the only running he does is on race day. He's made it work, for himself; I suspect the variety of disciplines that can be made to work for specific individuals will be staggering. The trick is to find a varient that works for you.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    [1/31 – 14.01 easy with hills]
    2/1 – 6.08 easy + 4 strides
    2/2 – 9.73 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/3 – 6.30 group run
    2/4 – 11.04 long speed work
    2/5 – scheduled rest day
    2/6 – 15.00 long speed work
    Weekly total 62.16 vs. target 62

2/7 – 11.35 easy 1.5 hour
    2/8 – 5.96 easy + 4 strides
    2/9 – 11.08 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/10 – 6.01 easy
    2/11 – 11.75 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/12 – scheduled rest day
    2/13 – 22 on inside track
    Weekly total 68.15 vs. target 68

2/14 – 12.64 easy 100 minutes
    2/15 – 6.06 easy
    2/16 – unplanned rest day – Winter Storm Olympia
    2/17 – 9.53 long speed work
    2/18 – 14 long speed work
    2/19 – 4.03 easy instead of planned rest day
    2/20 – 10.18 easy + 6 light workout
    Weekly total 62.43 vs. target 62

2/21 – 9.83 warmup, 2 x 5K at MP, cooldown
    2/22 – 6.10 easy + 4 strides
    2/23 – 10.20 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/24 – rescheduled rest day
    2/25 – 7.57 aborted speed work due to head cold
    2/26 – extra rest day

February total to date – 212.43

Goal – 62 or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected February total - 262 to 265 miles

Today's notes – Today's less is in making adjustments for circumstances. Yesterday I was tired, it was raining all day, and I had errands to run to keep my household running with adequate food in the refrigerator. So I rescheduled my rest day from Friday to Wednesday, got my errands run, got to bed early, and soaked up almost 9 hours of sleep.

Today I woke up to day 2 of a head cold. As colds go, this one isn't a particularly big deal. I've had colds like this that were helped a lot by running 6 or 8 miles at near freezing temperatures with relatively dry air. But that's not the weather I got today. By the time I had time to run, it was beginning to snow. The forecast was for falling temperatures and accumulating snow, and the conditions looked favorable for black ice developing during the time I would run. Between the weather, and the cold, and the fact that today's assignment called for running a lot at MP and some at T, I decided to take it indoors and run in Lane 5 of the track, at 7 laps to the mile.

The assignment was 2 miles at E, 2 x (4 miles at MP, 1 mile at T), 1 mile at E. I have done the core of this workout once before outside, only starting with 3 miles E and ending with 2 miles E; so I pretty much knew it was a tough workout. Got started a bit early, because it was supposed to be a 13 mile continual run. The point is to hold as close as possible to the assigned paces, running neither too fast nor too slow.

Ran the 2 miles at E, toward the fast end of my E range. Okay. Ran the next 4 miles at MP, consistently near the fast end of my MP range. Okay, I'll run a bit faster on a track than on the road. Ran the next mile at T, and brought it in right about where I want T to be on the track. Started around again, and the first 3 laps of MP were right on where my MP pace had been for the first 4 mile interval.

Then half a mile into the second MP interval, things fell apart. I wasn't feeling so hot, and thought about quitting after a mile of MP. Then I felt my cold trying to move down into my chest, and I could tell if I kept up any significant distance at MP I was going to make myself sicker. So I quit after 4 laps, or 0.57 miles into the second MP interval.

Coach asked how it went. I asked him how to adjust for being sick. We talked about what I did and how I felt. He said, "You're done. You've done a tough workout, and extra rest is going to help you more than working harder right now." The adjusted plan is to take an extra rest day tomorrow and then see how I feel on Saturday.

I was reminded of the discussion here about training plans. I have a training plan. It's a good plan. But sometimes even good plans need to be adjusted for reality. This is scheduled to be a peak mileage week. I won't hit the target miles this week, which means I won't hit my estimated mileage for February. That's okay, because hitting the arbitrary mileage numbers isn't the most important thing right now. The most important thing is recovering from this cold without injuring myself, so I can get back to running the way I'd like to.

After I talked to Coach, I chatted with a few other club members. Bill asked me, "How are you doing on Goal 1?" Yes, I had told Bill that running Boston was my Number 2 goal for 2016. Number 1 is staying uninjured. I thought about it, and told Bill my running chain is fine, I just have a cold. "That's okay. Colds come and go, but injury is harder to recover from."

And there's the solution to most of the gripes @Stoshew71 has with canned running plans. You need to take them out of the can, and sometimes adjust for reality. As it turned out, I'd already figured out what I was going to do to adjust; but Coach's blessing eliminates a lot of second guessing on my part.

I paid for membership in the club. I paid for 3 months of access to the indoor track. Getting personalized advice from the coach who wrote the plan is Worth. Every. Penny. And conversations with other runners, some of whom have run a lot more marathons than I have, are an added bonus.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    rohanivan wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Excited ... completed my first 5K just am hour back. My calves caught fire around half way and started getting cramps so switched to walk after that and regained running only at last 500 to 600 meters. Completed 5K in 00:31:51 my PR. Will definitely want to improve this and do something to those calves, they really didn't co-operate today... :(

Woo hoo! Congratulations on your first 5K @rohanivan !

I know how happy I was when I did it myself in December.

00:31:51 is amazing!