Bulking and Carb Cycling

Options
2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Last question, if I keep protein the same 0.8 -0.9 per LBM lower carbs can you go up to 40% fats? I've seen quite a bit the recommendation isn't to go over 30%, again conflicting info I've read.

Actually, if you are going by LBM it should be around 1.5g/lb, or just go with .8g/lb of total body mass.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Last question, if I keep protein the same 0.8 -0.9 per LBM lower carbs can you go up to 40% fats? I've seen quite a bit the recommendation isn't to go over 30%, again conflicting info I've read.

Actually, if you are going by LBM it should be around 1.5g/lb, or just go with .8g/lb of total body mass.

In a bulk, I would think anywhere from 1.1g/lb LBM - 1.5g/lb LBM is sufficient for protein. Much more important to keep higher in a cut.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

In a bulk, I would think anywhere from 1.1g/lb LBM - 1.5g/lb LBM is sufficient for protein. Much more important to keep higher in a cut.

True, I usually aim for the higher end just to be safe. :)
  • jennjenn760
    jennjenn760 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well I suppose a have a few options to try out. Either adjust my cabs permanently for a few weeks by lowering them and see what happens or just lower them on my off days and raise them back on training days. Finding what works for individual needs is such a pain. Thanks guys!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I haven't seen any research that would show any benefit over 1g per lb of lean body mass in a bulk. Albeit, in a cut, I know it's much more important.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well I suppose a have a few options to try out. Either adjust my cabs permanently for a few weeks by lowering them and see what happens or just lower them on my off days and raise them back on training days. Finding what works for individual needs is such a pain. Thanks guys!

Welcome to the club. Make sure you pick up your party gift ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I haven't seen any research that would show any benefit over 1g per lb of lean body mass in a bulk. Albeit, in a cut, I know it's much more important.

It's from memory but that was a recommendation from Alan Aragon and I believe Lyle McDonald as well. I'll have to see if I can find the reference. I know that McDonald recommends about 1.5g/lb of body mass in general as well.

One thing to remember is that the recommendations for protein are based on leucine oxcidation but many higher protein advocates beleive that protein at high levels provides other health benefits particuarly with respect to the immune system.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There is some evidence that a high protein (more than 1g/lb) diet is more beneficial than it is negative. That doesn't mean it's necessarily efficient for everyone. Layne Norton has touched on the subject before. However, as a general application I would say in a bulk, it's perfectly fine to set your minimum to the low end of the spectrum (based on research at or around 1g/lb of LBM). If you go over, so be it, just hit it daily.