one day juice.

Options
A friend of my partner does a juice fast one day a week so my partner wanted to try it to so he can detox. I don't know if this is smart or whether he should be drinking fruit juice or meal replacement drinks.

I doubt I can talk him out of this so any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Talk him out of it.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    @juggernaut1974 He is an adult, I can't make him eat.

Is one day a week really so bad? Surely it's not long enough to slow his metabolism way down and at least he's not drinking sugar with fruit flavouring.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What kind of advice are you looking for? You said that you likely can't talk him out of it and you can't make him eat. So what, exactly, are you asking us?

FWIW fasting one day a week likely is fine. It's not going to kill him. But it also won't have any detoxing effect. I'm assuming he isn't drinking colonoscopy prep drink, which is fine for colonocopy prep but I wouldn't drink it on a weekly basis.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Make a bet with him:

Ask him to name one specific toxin he plan to 'detox' from his body on his plan. If he can't he abandons the plan.

Will doing it one day a week harm him? Probably not...I'd be surprised if he can sustain it for more than week or two anyway.

It's just something completely unnecessary, is missing several vital nutrients (hello...fiber, fat, and protein!), and is nothing but marketing woo.
  • lizwrites1313
    Options
    If anyone has done this what would be the best thing for him to drink? Meal replacement or just pure fruit smoothies is the main question. I want advice on how he can do this safely.

@jemhh No he's not planning on drinking any prep drinks. So it's useless but not dangerous?
  • lizwrites1313
    Options
    @juggernaut1974 thanks. If he realises he's fallen for hype without facts he may think it through properly then if he still wants to he can plan a way to do it in a healthy-ish way.
  • lizwrites1313
    Options
    Thank you very much these threads have helped him. Plus I had him find out exactly what this mate is drinking and it's some silly expensive stuff that we can't afford so he may give it up after all. Thank for all the advice.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a one day fast -- juice or otherwise -- is a bad thing.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    I don't see how a one day fast -- juice or otherwise -- is a bad thing.

Explained above
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A friend of my partner does a juice fast one day a week so my partner wanted to try it to so he can detox. I don't know if this is smart or whether he should be drinking fruit juice or meal replacement drinks.

I doubt I can talk him out of this so any advice would be appreciated.

If he's in good health then it's unlikely to hurt him even if he does a fast one day every week for the rest of his life. As for what he consumes on this fast if he's not following some prescribed fast then it's really up to him. Calories from juice and shakes are still calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Make a bet with him:

Ask him to name one specific toxin he plan to 'detox' from his body on his plan. If he can't he abandons the plan.

Will doing it one day a week harm him? Probably not...I'd be surprised if he can sustain it for more than week or two anyway.

It's just something completely unnecessary, is missing several vital nutrients (hello...fiber, fat, and protein!), and is nothing but marketing woo.

Exactly. It's not a matter of "will it hurt anything?", it's a matter of "it won't do anything beneficial". Detox is nothing but another scam by the diet industry to suck money out of people. There's no science whatsoever which supports it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I know several people who fast one day per week for religious reasons. They drink water during the day and I want to say they have something small to eat late in the evening but I can't remember exact details. Anyway, I just don't think that fasting once a week is a big deal. I don't think it's going to hurt if done sensibly but it also won't necessarily detox the body (since detoxes aren't needed) and if a person eats above their TDEE the other days, it may end up equaling out in the end, which would undermine any weight loss goal.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well if you can't talk him out of it let him do it. Seems like a waste of time to me, but whatever he's a big boy and is going to make his own choices. Detox is nonsense but maybe he needs to find that out on his own.