• Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    cringing at the coments

This.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    There are different forms of dedication. For all we know the heavier girl could strictly dedicated to saving people's lives as a nurse, doctor, etc.

I know LOTS of fitness people who dedicate to exercise, but are undedicated to family and friends.

I'm dedicated to fitness, but am not as ripped as either the girl or guy. So it's just not about dedication.

Maybe you mean commitment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I like both pictures, but not pitted against each other. That's not going to turn out well for anyone. The girl below is smiling and gorgeous, yet her title says "lazy". I'm sorry, but who are we to know she hasn't made the decision to change her life and that was her before picture? Or current picture? Why judge her or assume she's lazy from a picture?
  • Perplexities
    Options
    "There are different forms of dedication. For all we know the heavier girl could strictly dedicated to saving people's lives as a nurse, doctor, etc. "
    Missing the point.

"I know LOTS of fitness people who dedicate to exercise, but are undedicated to family and friends. "
    Missing the point.

"I'm dedicated to fitness, but am not as ripped as either the girl or guy. So it's just not about dedication."
    See above.

"Maybe you mean commitment"
    I didn't make it, but no I don't mean commitment.
  • Perplexities
    Options
    I like both pictures, but not pitted against each other. That's not going to turn out well for anyone. The girl below is smiling and gorgeous, yet her title says "lazy". I'm sorry, but who are we to know she hasn't made the decision to change her life and that was her before picture? Or current picture? Why judge her or assume she's lazy from a picture?

You obviously didn't/couldn't read the content of the post.
    (Photo lost quality upon upload)
    Options

I wasn't referring to you as the OP or the comments, even. I was speaking directly to the pictures used in general. Her picture has the title "laziness/gluttony" on it. So, in response to the pictures themselves, I said I did not like that they were pitted against each other. That to me, encourages body shaming on one or both parties.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    "There are different forms of dedication. For all we know the heavier girl could strictly dedicated to saving people's lives as a nurse, doctor, etc. "
    Missing the point.

"I know LOTS of fitness people who dedicate to exercise, but are undedicated to family and friends. "
    Missing the point.

"I'm dedicated to fitness, but am not as ripped as either the girl or guy. So it's just not about dedication."
    See above.

Well then your understanding of dedication only relates to fitness if you aren't acknowledging the above as other ways to dedicate to something.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Suddenly kittens

tumblr_mp867b6dJI1s3gr5go1_500.gif

thanks I needed kitties. Not sure the point if it has something to do with the comments than it would be appropriate to explain the comments in order to have a discussion. Otherwise, on first impression I find it vitriolic.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options

I wasn't referring to you as the OP or the comments, even. I was speaking directly to the pictures used in general. Her picture has the title "laziness/gluttony" on it. So, in response to the pictures themselves, I said I did not like that they were pitted against each other. That to me, encourages body shaming on one or both parties.

Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif
  • Perplexities
    Options
    Missing the point.

Missing the point.

See above.

Well then your understanding of dedication only relates to fitness if you aren't acknowledging the above as other ways to dedicate to something.

IDEA Fitness member

My understanding of dedication relates to the subject in the OP. (Appearance and fitness) why would I speculate if she may be dedicated at any other thing, that isn't the point. The point was all the comments towards her were positive when she basically did nothing but say "Hey, I'm over weight and I don't care" where as the top photo is a fit couple and there's nothing but negative comments from insecure individuals.
  • Perplexities
    Options

I don't see your point, I never said this was a politically correct thread.
    The content was generated before any edits were done, none of those comments were generated after. they were simply a comparison of 100% positive comments for an obese female on Facebook and 100% negative comments for a healthy/fit couple.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see where these pictures came from because the dedication and gluttony thing is off putting and makes for a different argument. Did you put the titles on there? And regarding the comments not sure the context of either one but its obvious the females no comment about the male, of course not, we're subjected to typical female competition and due to a combination of jealousy and sexism that women should not be muscular got hit hard. The chunky girl got kudos I assume cuz she was a real girl baring her body and exposing her vulnerabilities.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Love my 'ignore' button :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with the girl in the lower picture, I think she's beautiful. she's actually showing her face and smiling, where as all these muscle toned people cut their heads out of the picture or seem to hide their face, like it's too personal. I'd rather see a face then a body, she looks friendly and approachable and confident. the people in the top picture who are looking at themselves, to me at least, look as if they would rather ogle themselves like Narcissus.

So true! Faces are much more attractive than bellies. =D
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    mlfw5499-13389087188764.gif
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    ib4 the imminent locking and a possible strike for OP, depending on how many (if any) report this.

This is just a thread you shouldn't have started, because the "discussion" you were looking for isn't going to happen on a website filled with people who are extremely insecure about their bodies!

No matter WHAT you look like, body shaming is NEVER acceptable. I do happen to think that those overly ripped people are kind of strange looking, but I'm not going to call them "gross" or "disgusting". I also happen to think that the girl in the lower pic might not want to pose in a bikini, but again... not disgusting, and not "lazy". Because guess what? All three of them are people just like me, and I've been called disgusting enough times to never want to do it to anyone. At least outside of my own head.

And that, OP, is where your "discussion" should stay. :smile:
    Options

I don't see your point, I never said this was a politically correct thread.
    The content was generated before any edits were done, none of those comments were generated after. they were simply a comparison of 100% positive comments for an obese female on Facebook and 100% negative comments for a healthy/fit couple.

Let me try again.... I wasn't basing my response on any comments made, as stated before. Nor was I saying anything against you for posting it. You posted it and said discuss..... I was giving my opinion purely based on the pictures and nothing more. The pictures state "hard work/dedication" for the obviously fit people and "laziness/gluttony" for the other woman. My response was directly related to the labels on the pictures themselves. Nothing more.
  • Perplexities
    Options
    ib4 the imminent locking and a possible strike for OP, depending on how many (if any) report this.

This is just a thread you shouldn't have started, because the "discussion" you were looking for isn't going to happen on a website filled with people who are extremely insecure about their bodies!

No matter WHAT you look like, body shaming is NEVER acceptable. I do happen to think that those overly ripped people are kind of strange looking, but I'm not going to call them "gross" or "disgusting". I also happen to think that the girl in the lower pic might not want to pose in a bikini, but again... not disgusting, and not "lazy". Because guess what? All three of them are people just like me, and I've been called disgusting enough times to never want to do it to anyone. At least outside of my own head.

And that, OP, is where your "discussion" should stay. :smile:

"No matter WHAT you look like, body shaming is NEVER acceptable."
    Shaming in any sense shouldn't be acceptable.

I was simply showing that not all body shaming is towards overweight individuals. The fit couple in the above received almost exclusively unprovoked negative comments about their appearance. While the individual at the bottom received exclusively positive comments towards her appearance. I didn't make it, I didn't title it. If people ITT choose to get angered by it, well that's on them.