Crossfit Fans?

Options
Anyone here into crossfit, and yet still need to lose weight? That's me and I could use some other people in the same boat.

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It happens. Crossfit can make you ravenous, and it's sometimes too easy to justify a bad food choice because hey, a few hours ago you thought you might die of thrusters.

But like any sport or fitness regimen, you can't outwork a bad diet.

I've found that it's easier to control cravings and keep my calories in line by eating less processed foods. Lots of vegetables and proteins keep you full. Sweet potatoes are a great source of carbs to get you through the wod.

Don't fall into the trap of going too low in calories, either. You need enough that you can hit your workouts with intensity and build some strength/endurance. There's a sweet spot there that requires a bit of experimenting.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan. Mainly because if you have a bad coach, or no coach it's too easy to get injured. and an injury makes it that much harder to reach your goal. Sorry, too extreme for me.
  • SarahR0811
    SarahR0811 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a solid 100 lbs to lose still and I've been crossfitting for about three years total. I have found excellent coaches, most recently ones who help with nutrition. For me, it's about finding what I love, and that's Crossfit. I love running as well but my go-to is Crossfit, it's become a passion.

That being said, it will NOT help you lose weight unless you focus on diet. I have crossfitted before and not lost an ounce. You have to work but it makes the exercise part easy if you enjoy it. And the community provides so much support, it's like a family. Most Crossfit boxes have a free trial class or week even - go check it out!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I CrossFit 5-6 days a week and love it. We have a few great coaches. After watching me and hearing me talk about it for the past 8 months my wife and daughter (17) decided they wanted to start. My wife just finished fundamentals and went to her first class last night and the coach scaled the workout for her just as I expected he would.

I am no longer trying to lose weigh. I'm working on gaining weight (muscle). But, if you need encouragement and like to share CF accomplishments, check out my Profile and feel free to Friend me if you aren't scared away :wink:
  • mandiegold941
    mandiegold941 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been crossfitting for 3 years. But I never took nutrition seriously. I am not ready to make the jump to paleo but I want to eat healthier. I like the idea of no processed foods, but I am also not there yet. I have been counting calories for the last few weeks and it is working. I am tracking my workouts, but trying not to eat the calories I "earn" from it.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Tracking is important not just to make sure you are not eating too much, but also to make sure you are eating enough. CrossFit is very demanding, and if you are not eating enough (taking into account what you burn in class) you will have a hard time recovering for your next session (whether it is next day or in a couple) and will not have the energy you need to perform well.
  • mandiegold941
    Options
    I was having coffee with a friend after the gym yesterday and she asked me what my goals are, besides losing weight. I said deadlift 265 and 5 back squats at 200. How can I get to those numbers, while losing weight?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Dial your nutrition. If you have access to a dietitian that is familiar with how to feed an athlete, schedule an appointment and come up with a real food based eating plan. The lift numbers will come with time, consistent work and good programing
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Your goal should be to try to not lose any muscle while you are losing fat. You can get stronger without adding muscle, but I think there's a limit to what you can expect to happen if you're not eating to add muscle. If you have a lot of weight to lose, or are fairly new to working out, common belief is you'll have some luck adding muscle while you drop fat. If not, you're going to be walking a tight rope. I'd make sure you're getting enough protein (often debated, but I'd set your goal for 1 gram or protein per lbs of your goal bodyweight). For the other macros I'd set fat at 0.4 grams per lbs of body weight and put the rest in carbs. I'd also make sure you're not running a super large deficit, and maybe try for a slower weight loss. Just to make things easier, I'd use a TDEE calculator to set your daily goal (TDEE minus maybe 10-15%). That will take care of exercise calories and having to decide how much to plug in for your burn and whether you should eat them back or not (you should). Here's the TDEE I used -http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm.

All the above is just how to not let your "diet" sink your efforts. I'm assuming your CrossFit box focuses on the movements and building strength and you're attending enough sessions to get stronger. Lots of exercises our box does help with deadlifting and squatting besides doing just those movements. Rack pulls, front squats, and box squats come to mind. But really, all the Olympic lifting gets you overall stronger, so if you focus on getting stronger on all the lifts, DL and Back Squat will go up.
  • mandiegold941
    Options
    What does TDEE mean? I fall into that category of I am not new to working out. My goal loss is around 30lbs. I do need help figuring out what a good goal weight for myself is. I have an athletic built (aka big legs ala most female lifters).
    My box is fantastic. I don't deadlift and squat all the time. Always getting a full body workout there. For some reason I just have a hard time being honest about weight and body image. Online is proving easier in this sense so I am so glad to be on this site (which was recommended by a coach).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What does TDEE mean? I fall into that category of I am not new to working out. My goal loss is around 30lbs. I do need help figuring out what a good goal weight for myself is. I have an athletic built (aka big legs ala most female lifters).
    My box is fantastic. I don't deadlift and squat all the time. Always getting a full body workout there. For some reason I just have a hard time being honest about weight and body image. Online is proving easier in this sense so I am so glad to be on this site (which was recommended by a coach).

Total Daily Energy Expenditure-how much you burn from just living, and all your daily exercises.
    Keep a small deficit, let the mirror determine your goal weight rather than the scale. Building strength in specific areas might likely require more than just hitting the daily WOD. I don't know how yours is run and if you can get to open gym or get in extra work focusing on you goals, that will help a ton.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm not a fan. Mainly because if you have a bad coach, or no coach it's too easy to get injured. and an injury makes it that much harder to reach your goal. Sorry, too extreme for me.

This is the exact reason why I've never even wanted to try Cross fit. Maybe it's Denver, but every single one of my friends that has done cross fit in Denver has gotten hurt, not pulled muscle hurt but broken bones hurt.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    crossfit? swing and a miss

If you want to burn fat, running, swimming, elliptical machines, ect. are your best bet
    If you want to gain/preserve muscle, following a linear progression or linear periodization model is your best bet
    If you just want to flail around with a high chance of injury for hour - Crosshit to the rescue!
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Crossfit I go to is well instructed. There's no "flailing" around for an hour. It's a blast, so much fun..and I'm "old". I also work out a bit at home, which helps reach my goals faster. "Everyday stronger" is our crossfit motto. I never thought I could climb a rope,ever, and it took some time, but yesterday I rocked it all the way to the top! Pure joy.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was having coffee with a friend after the gym yesterday and she asked me what my goals are, besides losing weight. I said deadlift 265 and 5 back squats at 200. How can I get to those numbers, while losing weight?
    I would recommend altering your programming @mandiegold941. Instead of doing so much general cross training, you will need to become more specific in those lifts and work those lifts more. I would look into a powerlifting specific program like 5/3/1, Greg and Omar's Bulgarian Method, DUP style training etc. But at the very least you should hit squat and bench twice a week.

As far as increasing strength while cutting, it can be done, but it is much harder, but doable. Make sure to set your expectations accordingly.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I did crossfit for several months, I bought a Groupon for a local box, and when it expired, I decided not to stay with it and returned to a traditional gym. There were a lot of good aspects to it and a few negatives, but if you have a strong opinion about crossfit and tell others it is bad without ever trying it, you opinion is an uninformed one.
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love Crossfit. Have recently stared (3 months in) and have about 35lb to lose. Our coaches are brilliant and forever correcting form and technique. We are lucky enough to have a nutritionalist at our box and he has worked out by TDEE and body fat etc and has prescribed a macro balance and calorie intake to ensure I am eating enough to perform, but under enough to start losing fat.
    I feel my lifts getting stronger each week and am steadily losing about 1lb each week.
    My focus is on eating as clean as possible 90% of the time. Without restricting myself. Obviously the cleaner I eat and more vegetables I consume, the more volume I can have t stop myself feeling hungry.
    I track everything and log everyday, so feel free to add me as a friend.
    Cat x
  • mandiegold941
    Options
    I think people who hurt themselves doing crossfit have one of two issues: Bad coaching, or they are doing something athletic and athletes get hurt! I've been doing crossfit for 3 years and I have had one injury, I tore something in my thumb. And ya know what, it was worth it. How can you do something athletic like that and never ever get hurt? I also tore my ACL, skiing. And I still ski. As much as possible actually.

Today I found my current 1 rep DL, 145. My coach thinks I should up my goal for the years end to 300!
  • mandiegold941
    Options
    I meant 245
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I found this fab article and thought you may like it - all about nutrition as the fundamental element of Crossfit.

boxrox.com/5-world-class-basics-for-crossfit-nutrition/