Things I have learned from weighing my food

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a dumb question but I want to ask anyway :lol: My scale only weighs in ounces for foods, not grams. Still accurate?

Well, not as accurate as grams, but it's better than nothing I guess.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    why isn't it as accurate?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    why isn't it as accurate?

Ounces are a larger unit is all.

It's like the difference in rounding off your height to the nearest foot (or meter), which won't be as accurate as using the nearest inch (or centimeter)
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    still effective for weight loss?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

If you have more margin for error, probably. As your margin for error tightens, your accuracy generally needs to increase to be effective.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I generally overestimate without a scale, with the one exception being chips, crackers, or things that tend to break up in the package before you serve them to yourself. Those are fun to weigh out :)
  • tara_means_star
    Options

If you have more margin for error, probably. As your margin for error tightens, your accuracy generally needs to increase to be effective.

Ok, last question. OP, so sorry to derail your thread.... :disappointed:

I'm still 40 pounds to goal and 20 pounds overweight. Would it make since you just measure and log 4 ounces as 4 ounces until it no longer works, then weigh 3.9 or even 3.8 but log 4?
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options

All good. No worries :blush:

• tara_means_star
    Options

All good. No worries :blush:

Thanks for posting about this! Reminded me how important it is to use my scale! :smile:
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah. It's really for my state of mind.. overestimating 'just in case' sucks because if you end up hungry later, you don't know what to do (one of the reasons I dislike eating out now). By weighing everything, I know exactly where I stand and don't feel bad about eating an extra snack if I get hungry.

+1

SO very happy I got my scale - the inaccuracy was driving me crazy! I've been eating more since I got the scale lol.

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

I'm still 40 pounds to goal and 20 pounds overweight. Would it make since you just measure and log 4 ounces as 4 ounces until it no longer works, then weigh 3.9 or even 3.8 but log 4?

Buy a new scale that weighs in grams and get it over with. It's $10 and it means you can practice the new skill of thinking in grams. Seriously, under logging your food isn't a good option, because that's still estimating. Buy the new scale, weigh in grams, and tighten your logging. That'll take care of the shrinking deficit.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

If your scale is giving you tenths of an ounce, and you're logging that way, then the margin of error is a lot smaller than if it only weighed in half-ounce or ounce increments. Given that the whole system is kind of inherently one estimate after another, I'd say don't worry about it until/unless you stop losing weight doing what you're doing. A tenth of an ounce is less than 3 grams. 3 grams of pure sugar is 12 calories. 3 grams of butter is 22 calories. Just to give an idea of the possible margin of error involved. You're probably getting larger margins of error weighing and logging a random piece of fruit or meat (because not all bananas are equally sweet, not all steaks are equally fatty).

ETA: and remember your scale is rounding up or down to that tenth of an ounce, so the real potential margin of error is a bit less that a gram and half. pish.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    weigh cooked or precooked?
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I paid $20 for a scale that weighs in gram and ounces with a big ole bowl included. That's less than I used to spend on Diet Dr. Pepper for a week.

I still drink my DDP just not two liters a day! LOL. but that's a whole 'nother issue.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    I've learned that a serving of peanut butter makes me sad...but PB2 mixed into my overnight oats or smoothies makes me happy again...lol

one serving is enough for a piece of toast and that makes me happy
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I agree...I underestimate some things and overestimate others. While it's not strictly related to weighing food, I had the same issue when I began using MFP. I thought I was eating like 3 servings of cereal and it turned out my portion was dead-on for the correct amount of 1 serving. I thought I would only be able to have 1/3 of my usual portion for pasta, but it turned out I'd been eating the correct portion size all along and 2 oz. of any pasta is really way more than I would have guessed.

Yes. I hear complaints about the tiny portion of pasta people get, and yet I hardly ever eat a full portion and I love pasta.

Before I got my scale, I was seriously overestimating all my meats. (A deck of cards my rear, lol). I was depriving myself of needed proteins and didn't even realize it.

Pasta is weighed dry...that might be why it looks so tiny? I know that was a huge revelation to me. Cooked to the consistency I like, mine usually comes to around 4 oz.. With meat sauce and a salad, its usually plenty for me. Could be just me!

What I have found to be most valuable in this whole weighing my food exercise is becoming more familiar with the calorie density of the foods I eat. Now 8 months into this adventure I am pretty good at eyeing things. I think that after I hit maintenance there will always be some foods I need to measure, but I know I will never again be able to lie to myself about how much I am really eating. Now I know better.

Good thread! Thanks!
  • tara_means_star
    Options

If your scale is giving you tenths of an ounce, and you're logging that way, then the margin of error is a lot smaller than if it only weighed in half-ounce or ounce increments. Given that the whole system is kind of inherently one estimate after another, I'd say don't worry about it until/unless you stop losing weight doing what you're doing. A tenth of an ounce is less than 3 grams. 3 grams of pure sugar is 12 calories. 3 grams of butter is 22 calories. Just to give an idea of the possible margin of error involved. You're probably getting larger margins of error weighing and logging a random piece of fruit or meat (because not all bananas are equally sweet, not all steaks are equally fatty).

ETA: and remember your scale is rounding up or down to that tenth of an ounce, so the real potential margin of error is a bit less that a gram and half. pish.

That's kinda what I was thinking and since I already have this scale and money is tight...
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I learned, "oh *kitten*. THAT'S four ounces of wine???????"

I also realized I can eat a lot more chicken and fish than I thought. I often double portion salmon and eat like 8 oz. OMG. Totally stuffed, and really not all the big on the cals. And I have it beat into my head that 4 oz of chicken is a serving, so I would never eat more than that. It has been a real change to eat 6 oz (or like 180 grams or whatever) so that I am actually full and satisfied and happy, instead of guilty that I overate on protein.

Mental shifts, so important. I have been pretty solid for a month now (finally!) and feeling pretty in the zone right now.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This thread has motivated me to buy a scale- I was perfectly happy estimating until I realized that I could be eating more.

I want to be eating more lol
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That I eat around 4-5lbs of food every day. Not counting my liquids. Lol, yep, I'm a volume eater. (Yes, I do realize weight =/= volume. But with a plant heavy intake, it's a lot of food, lol).