Things I have learned from weighing my food

Options

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I've had major cravings for cereal lately and it's been sad days realizing how little cereal a serving is
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I really suck at estimating how much something weighs, myself included. I was shocked at how much weight I gained and I'm always shocked at a proper portion size. I've been doing this for 2 years now and I've been at a healthy BMI for a year. Looks like I'll have to weigh and measure forever, but I'm happy that I've lost the weight so it's a small price to pay for staying healthy. My food scale and I are very happy together.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I thought 20g of cheese was about 3x as much as it actually was :-( either that, or my scales were off this morning. I barely sprinkled any on my toasted sandwiches!
  • amygatl
    amygatl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can't always trust the barcodes either., especially on produce:
    kgfxt9nghoq0.jpeg
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I found out that I must have instinctively known the right amount with meat portions but that I can fit 2 cups of rice in a one cup measure!

I also found out that I suck at measuring flour without the scale and that my baked goods are much more delicious when I weigh my flour. It also means I dirty one less measuring cup so that's a win.

I still don't measure everything. Certain things, like a slice of bread, I'm content with the number on the packaging.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    amygatl wrote: »
    You can't always trust the barcodes either., especially on produce:
    kgfxt9nghoq0.jpeg

Oh man, lol. Yikes. Yeah, it's like 'medium potatoes' at 148g.. in my experience most medium potatoes are heavier than that!

I found out that I must have instinctively known the right amount with meat portions but that I can fit 2 cups of rice in a one cup measure!

I also found out that I suck at measuring flour without the scale and that my baked goods are much more delicious when I weigh my flour. It also means I dirty one less measuring cup so that's a win.

I still don't measure everything. Certain things, like a slice of bread, I'm content with the number on the packaging.

I always convert one cup of flour to 120g so that I get consistent results with my baking. Plus that way if it's too sticky I know exactly how much more flour to add to my dough the next time etc. I honestly HATE recipes that give volume measurements.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    AceofIvies wrote: »
    I generally overestimate without a scale, with the one exception being chips, crackers, or things that tend to break up in the package before you serve them to yourself. Those are fun to weigh out :)

I go from unbroken to the broken pieces that maybe could add up to an unbroken sized piece to weighing.
  • soda80
    soda80 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I thought 20g of cheese was about 3x as much as it actually was :-( either that, or my scales were off this morning. I barely sprinkled any on my toasted sandwiches!

This.

Cheese is ridiculously heavy.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I always convert one cup of flour to 120g so that I get consistent results with my baking. Plus that way if it's too sticky I know exactly how much more flour to add to my dough the next time etc. I honestly HATE recipes that give volume measurements.

This is actually the reason I bought the scale. I've got cookies & cakes down pat, but bread can be *really* finicky.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    still effective for weight loss?

If you have more margin for error, probably. As your margin for error tightens, your accuracy generally needs to increase to be effective.

Ok, last question. OP, so sorry to derail your thread.... :disappointed:

I'm still 40 pounds to goal and 20 pounds overweight. Would it make since you just measure and log 4 ounces as 4 ounces until it no longer works, then weigh 3.9 or even 3.8 but log 4?

IMO, overthinking. Just weigh it, and record what it weighs.

If you're bothering to weigh, I believe you want your data to be as accurate as reasonably practical. Eventually, for example, you may want to cut your loss rate to a slower one when you get close to goal weight. If you have accurate data, you can do a lot better job of estimating things like that.

All those calculators of maintenance calories (e.g., TDEE) are *estimates* based on the population at large. If you have good data about your own eating, exercise, and losses, you can do much more accurate personal estimates.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a dumb question but I want to ask anyway :lol: My scale only weighs in ounces for foods, not grams. Still accurate?

Well, not as accurate as grams, but it's better than nothing I guess.
    It's plenty accurate... You can weigh to a tenth of an ounce... It's just a different measurement, just as accurate though. If I weigh out 3 oz of chicken or 85 grams, it makes no difference.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    still effective for weight loss?

If you have more margin for error, probably. As your margin for error tightens, your accuracy generally needs to increase to be effective.

Ok, last question. OP, so sorry to derail your thread.... :disappointed:

I'm still 40 pounds to goal and 20 pounds overweight. Would it make since you just measure and log 4 ounces as 4 ounces until it no longer works, then weigh 3.9 or even 3.8 but log 4?

Buy a new scale that weighs in grams and get it over with. It's $10 and it means you can practice the new skill of thinking in grams. Seriously, under logging your food isn't a good option, because that's still estimating. Buy the new scale, weigh in grams, and tighten your logging. That'll take care of the shrinking deficit.

@tara_means_star I agree... treat yourself to a brand new scale for under $15 and you'll be happier and realize how much more accurate you're weighing foods when you compare. :) Some food pkgs. show grams only so this way you're covered no matter what a pkg. you pick up shows.

New digital scales are fun, definitely get one that has a tare feature makes life simple and fun measuring foods with that feature. I know you'll be glad you did. Let us know what you pick up and how you like it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a dumb question but I want to ask anyway :lol: My scale only weighs in ounces for foods, not grams. Still accurate?

It's plenty accurate... You can weigh to a tenth of an ounce... It's just a different measurement, just as accurate though. If I weigh out 3 oz of chicken or 85 grams, it makes no difference.

85 g is more specific than 3 oz chicken, but I'd expect 3.2 oz of chicken to be available and if so it's basically the same.

I now prefer grams as a better system, but oz work just like celsius works (even though I prefer F).
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Ah well where I live we use the metric system anyway. Sometimes I find a food that's only in oz on mfp, then I have to convert it first to see how many grams that is...hahahaha
  • Francl27
    Options

It rounds up though so it can be 3g off. Which isn't a huge deal, but can still be a 100ish calories inaccuracy at the end of the day if you eat a lot of calorie dense foods.
    Ah well where I live we use the metric system anyway. Sometimes I find a food that's only in oz on mfp, then I have to convert it first to see how many grams that is...hahahaha

MFP has improved about that, a lot of entries now give grams by default if it was entered in ounces.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

It rounds up though so it can be 3g off. Which isn't a huge deal, but can still be a 100ish calories inaccuracy at the end of the day if you eat a lot of calorie dense foods.

MFP has improved about that, a lot of entries now give grams by default if it was entered in ounces.

Yeah I've seen. I actively try to seek out those entries now. :)
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

That's why I was thinking that when/if it stalls my weight loss I will simply round down.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I love my scale. sometimes I prefer to weigh my food than measure. Its really so easy. I just leave it out near the cutting board.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    I love how everyone that knows me shakes their heads in disapproval when they come in my house and see my little neon green food scale on the counter. :lol:

(Everyone that knows me is really against the idea of me losing weight)
  • Francl27
    Options
    I love how everyone that knows me shakes their heads in disapproval when they come in my house and see my little neon green food scale on the counter. :lol:

(Everyone that knows me is really against the idea of me losing weight)

Eh doesn't matter. Been the same weight for 2 years, still weigh my food, still getting comments from my mom when she comes to visit...