Things I have learned from weighing my food

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I learnt that I needed a new hobby.... fast....
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I love how everyone that knows me shakes their heads in disapproval when they come in my house and see my little neon green food scale on the counter. :lol:

(Everyone that knows me is really against the idea of me losing weight)

Mine is bright orange :p

And people tell me counting calories and weighing your food don't work :wink:
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I love how everyone that knows me shakes their heads in disapproval when they come in my house and see my little neon green food scale on the counter. :lol:

(Everyone that knows me is really against the idea of me losing weight)

Mine is bright orange :p

And people tell me counting calories and weighing your food don't work :wink:

Yeah, that's not the worst of it for me. When people start commenting on me eating gluten and lactose free and how much weight I'll lose from it, I start to get extremely offensive like they have insulted me. I feel like they are somehow telling me "ah well your not really sick" when they say that.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I definitely was underestimating cheese, I had NO IDEA. But I was seriously overestimating my pasta which made me a very, very happy person lol
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I was way overestimating. To the point my 1500 cals/day might have actually been 1250-1300. My scale arrived yesterday and I am loving it.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    I love my scale. sometimes I prefer to weigh my food than measure. Its really so easy. I just leave it out near the cutting board.

It's like a game for me, I still love weighing my foods. :D I only measure liquids, everything else I use the scale for.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I would say it's mixed. Most things I was estimating damn near PERFECTLY. Some others i was overestimating so i got to eat more. muwahahaha
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My pasta portions were waaaay off base! My standard student meal of pasta with some sauce must have easily been 1200 calories on its own, 2000 if I was using pesto (yes, I used to use the whole jar). I was pleasantly surprised with cheese though - 25g gives me much more than I expected!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ah well where I live we use the metric system anyway. Sometimes I find a food that's only in oz on mfp, then I have to convert it first to see how many grams that is...hahahaha

Pretty much anything should be available in grams too. I used to weigh out 1 oz of cheese, but now I do everything in grams.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've learned so much with my scale. I use it for measuring little things too like tsp or tbsp- ie- smearing my peanut butter or jam on my toast on the scale and getting it in grams instead of leveling a tbsp and dealing with extra cleanup. I use it to weigh my wine too so that I get a precise 3 oz serving. It really alleviates the extra steps of using measuring cups and spoons!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've learned so much with my scale. I use it for measuring little things too like tsp or tbsp- ie- smearing my peanut butter or jam on my toast on the scale and getting it in grams instead of leveling a tbsp and dealing with extra cleanup. I use it to weigh my wine too so that I get a precise 3 oz serving. It really alleviates the extra steps of using measuring cups and spoons!

You can't weigh volume ounces, except water.
  • Ni_La82
    Ni_La82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a dumb question but I want to ask anyway :lol: My scale only weighs in ounces for foods, not grams. Still accurate?
    1 ounce is 28.3495 Grams. Just type "ounces to grams" in Google and a converter/calulator should come up.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ni_La82 wrote: »
    I feel like this is a dumb question but I want to ask anyway :lol: My scale only weighs in ounces for foods, not grams. Still accurate?
    1 ounce is 28.3495 Grams. Just type "ounces to grams" in Google and a converter/calulator should come up.

But the issue is that 2 oz could mean anywhere from 43 to 70 grams due to rounding.

If the scale allows for 2.1 oz and so on (which I suspect it would), it isn't much different in its accuracy. Also, there's enough error in everything that it's not that big a thing to worry about.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Wait--pasta should be weighed before boiling and not after? If that's true, I'm about to jump for joy.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have been using a scale for 8 months now. I thought I would always need to use it. I started to play a game with myself, guess and weigh. I am getting pretty close these days. At lunch I was right on spot with one food, a gram over with one and 2 grams under with another. I like the data and will probably continue to weigh everything until I am soundly in maintenance but it is nice to know that I may not always have to.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

False. If you account for density you can convert a volume measurement to a weight measurement. For example, using the handy-dandy tool at http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/food-volume-to-weight you can convert your liquid measurements to a weight measurement and use your scale. So a fluid ounce of red wine weighs 1.04 ounces or 29.5 g.

Fun fact: 1 fluid ounce of water weighs 1 ounce because this was what the fluid ounce measurement was based on.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    haviegirl wrote: »
    Wait--pasta should be weighed before boiling and not after? If that's true, I'm about to jump for joy.

Jump away! The serving is for dry weight (before cooking)

I'm weeping a little...such happiness...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    TribeHokie wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

False. If you account for density you can convert a volume measurement to a weight measurement. For example, using the handy-dandy tool at http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/food-volume-to-weight you can convert your liquid measurements to a weight measurement and use your scale. So a fluid ounce of red wine weighs 1.04 ounces or 29.5 g.

Fun fact: 1 fluid ounce of water weighs 1 ounce because this was what the fluid ounce measurement was based on.

Cool link! Bookmarked, thanks!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    If the scale gives you ounces and tenths, you have 10 possible measurements within an ounce interval. An ounce has 28 grams (and a fraction), so you have 28 possible measurements within the same interval. Therefore, if your scale gives you either option, grams will be slightly more precise.

I've found weighing to be much more efficient than measuring (less time, effort, and washing up), once I learned to put the whole bowl on the scale & tare between added ingredients; or to put the storage container on the scale, tare, dip out ingredients, and use the negative value afterward.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I learned that cereal serving sizes are a cruel mockery.

Well put!