Anybody use Shaklee supplements?

Options
Does anyone here have any experience as a CONSUMER of Shaklee supplements? I am looking to find a company that has consistent formulations for daily multi-vitamins, recovery formulas, protein shakes, and mental balance supplements. I bit the bullet and ordered from a Shakee rep the other day, but the more I think about our conversation, the more it felt like she was trying to get me to join a cult. Anyway: if the products are good, Ill consider using them long term if I can afford them, but if you guys have better options from your experience with Shaklee, I'd love to hear about them.

I am waiting for a deliver of:

SHAKLEE PHYSIQUE - Recovery Shake
NUTRIFERON - Immunity booster (I just got over a bad case of pneumonia)
180 WHEY SHAKE VANILLA - Protien Shake (I like my Muscle Milk and Gold Standard, but this is supposed to have probiotics already in the shake)
MINDWORKS - Focus enhancer

Anyone have experience using any of these products?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No experience with shaklee, but most supplements do nothing for you. Recovery drinks are mainly BCAA/magnesium which may help with soreness. Immunity boost will probably be vitamins C and B, maybe iron. Whey is just like any other protein shake and you can find a ton of good ones.

Naturemade has a lot of USP certified vitamins which might fit your palate.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's just another overpriced MLM company and their products are nothing special. The fact that they are flaunting an " Immunity booster" is just plain ridiculous.

http://www.shaklee-pyramid-scam.com/

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-to-boost-your-immune-system

Be skeptical

Many products on store shelves claim to boost or support immunity. But the concept of boosting immunity actually makes little sense scientifically. In fact, boosting the number of cells in your body — immune cells or others — is not necessarily a good thing. For example, athletes who engage in “blood doping” — pumping blood into their systems to boost their number of blood cells and enhance their performance — run the risk of strokes.

Attempting to boost the cells of the immune system is especially complicated because there are so many different kinds of cells in the immune system that respond to so many different microbes in so many ways. Which cells should you boost, and to what number? So far, scientists do not know the answer. What is known is that the body is continually generating immune cells. Certainly it produces many more lymphocytes than it can possibly use. The extra cells remove themselves through a natural process of cell death called apoptosis — some before they see any action, some after the battle is won. No one knows how many cells or what kinds of cells the immune system needs to function at its optimum level.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Walmart has some pretty good multivitamins that will cost you about a billion dollars less.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    wow my mom used their shakes AGES ago.. surprised its still around as I haven't hear the name in years.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    wow my mom used their shakes AGES ago.. surprised its still around as I haven't hear the name in years.

Yeah, that is a name I haven't heard since the mid 1980's. A buddy of mine got suckered into them. He spent a fortune and had this huge box of pills he was supposed to take every day. Even back then I had to shake my head...
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Walmart has some pretty good multivitamins that will cost you about a billion dollars less.

Walmart, GNC, Target all have been caught selling supplements and herbs with no trace of the element in the bottle, so I wont buy from them.
  • stresco
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Yeah, that is a name I haven't heard since the mid 1980's. A buddy of mine got suckered into them. He spent a fortune and had this huge box of pills he was supposed to take every day. Even back then I had to shake my head...

They have been around for 50 years. I used to use their supps back in the 90s because it was impossible to find anything that was clean back then.

Now they are like AMWAY or 5LYNK or Avon, or Mary Kay or any other pyramid scheme company trying to get people to sell their *kitten*.

I am only interested if people have actually tried their products in the past 5 years or so and could tell me if they are worth the price?
  • stresco
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

They try to sell you the most expensive stuff they got. Thats how they make money. The prey on the under-informed. I knew exactly what I was in the market for, long before I agreed to talk to the sales rep. The items listed above I have been taking in other forms and I like the results I have been getting from them (even if its just a placebo effect), but I am always concerned about companies doing *kitten* like GNC, Target, and Walmart where they don't give you what you paid for.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    stresco wrote: »

Walmart, GNC, Target all have been caught selling supplements and herbs with no trace of the element in the bottle, so I wont buy from them.

A basic multi, such as Centrum, is going to have everything that you need. I'd trust a basic multivitamin before I'd put my trust in some gimmicky shake.

Also wanted to add that just because a product has been around forever, doesn't mean that it works. Slim Fast has also been around for quite some time. I'm pretty sure that neither Shaklee nor Slim Fast have solved the obesity crisis during their existence.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I used MRS and lost 20lbs pretty quickly, of course when I stopped it all creeped back. I only do them for breakfast but I add in fruit and stuff only because I'd rather sleep than get up for breakfast. Then I take my multivitamin
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    My parents were distributors of that crap when I was a kid and my mother used to make me take 10 (yes, 10) different vitamins/supplements and down them with their nasty, nasty chocolate protein sludge. I threw up (not on purpose, either) nearly every day on my way to school. I soon learned to hide the vitamins in a napkin and flush them, and I eventually outright refused the protein drink.

I was somewhere around 11 or 12, I was in middle school. Those pills were horse pills, they were huge! I don't know how much they have changed over the years but just the name makes me want to vomit.
  • stresco
    Options

A basic multi, such as Centrum, is going to have everything that you need. I'd trust a basic multivitamin before I'd put my trust in some gimmicky shake.

Also wanted to add that just because a product has been around forever, doesn't mean that it works. Slim Fast has also been around for quite some time. I'm pretty sure that neither Shaklee nor Slim Fast have solved the obesity crisis during their existence.

Nobody is looking for a solution for the "obesity" crisis" on this thread... There is no magic pill. I have specific needs for specific goals. They are listed above.
  • stresco
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    My parents were distributors of that crap when I was a kid and my mother used to make me take 10 (yes, 10) different vitamins/supplements and down them with their nasty, nasty chocolate protein sludge. I threw up (not on purpose, either) nearly every day on my way to school. I soon learned to hide the vitamins in a napkin and flush them, and I eventually outright refused the protein drink.

I was somewhere around 11 or 12, I was in middle school. Those pills were horse pills, they were huge! I don't know how much they have changed over the years but just the name makes me want to vomit.

So no recent experience with their supplements as an adult. :(

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So basically what you are really looking for is validation of buying the product which you will likely not get here.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Nobody is looking for a solution for the "obesity" crisis" on this thread... There is no magic pill. I have specific needs for specific goals. They are listed above.

Where? I must have missed your specific goals.
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So basically what you are really looking for is validation of buying the product which you will likely not get here.

+1 for this
  • stresco
    edited February 2016
    Options

Nope... Definitely not what I want.

I want opinions from those who have actually used the products, positive or negative. Not hearsay because someone knew someone, who knows someone that has a cousin who got suckered into becoming a distributor.

I am looking for opinions on efficacy of the product's substance from CONSUMERS. I can read all I want from the propaganda pages listed online from the the company.

I don't need you or anyone to VALID my actions of buying anything.

What MommyL2015 wrote was very informative to me, however, it was from her memories as a child. Not relevant to today's formulations. Formula's change, taste of the protein shakes might have improved. The size of ANY adult vitamin is HUGE to a child.

Like I said, I have specific goals, or deficiencies in my diet for my personal reasons (like being allergic to all seafood).

So let me try and be more clear:

SHAKLEE PHYSIQUE - Recovery Shake (I work out hard when I get tot the gym and I am usually there int he evenings. I have found that most recovery shakes keep me up at night, do not help with recovery at all, or upset my stomach).

NUTRIFERON - Immunity booster (I just got over a bad case of pneumonia... I broke my system down too much by working too many hours, working out late and early mornings, running my own business and dealing with life and ended up in the hospital for 4 days on antibiotics. I am looking for something to give me an immunity boost to get me through the rest of the winter.)

180 WHEY SHAKE VANILLA - Protien Shake (I like my Muscle Milk and Gold Standard, but this is supposed to have probiotics already in the shake... Over the counter Protein shakes do not include probiotics, and I would have to take an additional substance to get them into my system).

MINDWORKS - Focus enhancer (I sometimes have to work odd hours, long hours behind a computer keyboard. I have to review lines of code, and formulas. This is when I am not studying for a certification exam. I am looking for a natural focus enhancer.)

I hope that is clear enough.

[edited by MFP Moderator]
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    See, the thing is, Shaklee is no different from Slim Fast or Herbalife or Shakeology or Plexus or Body by Vi or ItWorks - you don't have to have actual, first-hand experience using that one very specific product to know that it's bunk.

Many of us have been there in one form or another. Maybe not SPECIFICALLY with Shaklee, but we've tried some dubious miracle product and been disappointed. We know what really works and we don't have to have used Shaklee to tell you that.

Of course, that's not what you want to hear. But that's all I got. Sorry...
  • bellaa_x0
    edited February 2016
    Options
    first of all let me ask you WHY shaklee? why do you think their shake will not keep you up at night or upset your stomach vs. others?

same thing with the other products you have listed.

shaklee is not the only distributor of these types of products. clearly they are not the best out there or most popular if you are unable to get anyone's input on them other than from in the 80s/90s!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Nope... Definitely not what I want.

I want opinions from those who have actually used the products, positive or negative. Not hearsay because someone knew someone, who knows someone that has a cousin who got suckered into becoming a distributor.

I am looking for opinions on efficacy of the product's substance from CONSUMERS. I can read all I want from the propaganda pages listed online from the the company.

I don't need you or anyone to VALID my actions of buying anything.

What MommyL2015 wrote was very informative to me, however, it was from her memories as a child. Not relevant to today's formulations. Formula's change, taste of the protein shakes might have improved. The size of ANY adult vitamin is HUGE to a child.

Like I said, I have specific goals, or deficiencies in my diet for my personal reasons (like being allergic to all seafood).

So let me try and be more clear:

SHAKLEE PHYSIQUE - Recovery Shake (I work out hard when I get tot the gym and I am usually there int he evenings. I have found that most recovery shakes keep me up at night, do not help with recovery at all, or upset my stomach).

NUTRIFERON - Immunity booster (I just got over a bad case of pneumonia... I broke my system down too much by working too many hours, working out late and early mornings, running my own business and dealing with life and ended up in the hospital for 4 days on antibiotics. I am looking for something to give me an immunity boost to get me through the rest of the winter.)

180 WHEY SHAKE VANILLA - Protien Shake (I like my Muscle Milk and Gold Standard, but this is supposed to have probiotics already in the shake... Over the counter Protein shakes do not include probiotics, and I would have to take an additional substance to get them into my system).

MINDWORKS - Focus enhancer (I sometimes have to work odd hours, long hours behind a computer keyboard. I have to review lines of code, and formulas. This is when I am not studying for a certification exam. I am looking for a natural focus enhancer.)

I hope that is clear enough.

[edited by MFP Moderator]

I don't need to jump of the 20th floor for the experience before telling someone it is a bad idea.

People have given you opinions and information, but you just shut them down saying their opinions don't matter because they haven't "experienced it" themselves.

The general rule of thumb is if it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is.

If you really think these products can prevent pneumonia....