Anybody use Shaklee supplements?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The problem is, there won't be any independent analysis done on MLM supplements. They all have proprietary blends which are generally known to be inferior. If you want to know specifics, look at examine.com as it can tell you the most about supplements and which ones are effective. But 95% or more of the supplements on the market has NO impact on one's health.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    The problem is, there won't be any independent analysis done on MLM supplements. They all have proprietary blends which are generally known to be inferior. If you want to know specifics, look at examine.com as it can tell you the most about supplements and which ones are effective. But 95% or more of the supplements on the market has NO impact on one's health.

Excellent response! I will definitely spend some time on examine.com. THANK YOU!
  • stresco
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    first of all let me ask you WHY shaklee? why do you think their shake will not keep you up at night or upset your stomach vs. others?

same thing with the other products you have listed.

shaklee is not the only distributor of these types of products. clearly they are not the best out there or most popular if you are unable to get anyone's input on them other than from in the 80s/90s!

Why Shakely:

Before---I took shakely supplements in the 90s when I was bodybuilding. It was impossible find CLEAN supplements back then over the counter. Things changed, the market got flooded with all kinds of stuff. I couldn't afford the cost of shakely any more to I did the best I could with what was available.

Now---Its next on the list of supplements for me to try. Too many companies out there with product recalls and *kitten* reviews, and me not being able to stomach them.

As for Elphie754:

"If you really think these products can prevent pneumonia...."

Do I really sound that stupid or under-educated in my writing (except for all the typos, I'm writing fast...)???

I'm looking to build my immunity back up and keep it up while I try to survive another winter here in the North East, while doing everything I need to do, and going to the gym while eating a restrictive diet.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    stresco wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    My parents were distributors of that crap when I was a kid and my mother used to make me take 10 (yes, 10) different vitamins/supplements and down them with their nasty, nasty chocolate protein sludge. I threw up (not on purpose, either) nearly every day on my way to school. I soon learned to hide the vitamins in a napkin and flush them, and I eventually outright refused the protein drink.

I was somewhere around 11 or 12, I was in middle school. Those pills were horse pills, they were huge! I don't know how much they have changed over the years but just the name makes me want to vomit.

So no recent experience with their supplements as an adult. :(

Nope, and you couldn't get me to experience it ever again.

But it is direct experience with the product in question. Miserable, nasty experience it was, but not hearsay. Shaklee is the reason I still don't eat breakfast to this day.
  • stresco
    Options
    My parents were distributors of that crap when I was a kid and my mother used to make me take 10 (yes, 10) different vitamins/supplements and down them with their nasty, nasty chocolate protein sludge. I threw up (not on purpose, either) nearly every day on my way to school. I soon learned to hide the vitamins in a napkin and flush them, and I eventually outright refused the protein drink.

I was somewhere around 11 or 12, I was in middle school. Those pills were horse pills, they were huge! I don't know how much they have changed over the years but just the name makes me want to vomit.

So no recent experience with their supplements as an adult. :(

Nope, and you couldn't get me to experience it ever again.

But it is direct experience with the product in question. Miserable, nasty experience it was, but not hearsay. Shaklee is the reason I still don't eat breakfast to this day.

Thats funny... I get it.
  • angelfreez
    angelfreez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, my parents raised all 10 of their healthy children on Shaklee, and have used it themselves for the past 50 years. Its not an accident that a company has stayed in business all of these years, they've always held their products to a very high standard. My parents also sold it in their 2 health food stores that they used to own. You may chalk it up to a 'pyramid scheme' or whatever. But you can't compare the quality of vitamins with the ones they sell elsewhere that are loaded with a bunch of extra fillers, etc. I do not sell Shaklee and neither do any of my siblings nor does my mother, she simply signed up as a distributor to get the lower prices on the items that they sell and we all buy our products through her. I can honestly tell you that there is a HUGE difference between these products and any other that you'll buy anywhere else. My mother has always used the detergents, cleaners, beauty products, vitamins and protein products from Shaklee. She is 83 years young and everyone comments on how she's full of vitality and how young she looks. I contribute that in part to Shaklee and Nature's Sunshine products.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    angelfreez wrote: »
    Hi, my parents raised all 10 of their healthy children on Shaklee, and have used it themselves for the past 50 years. Its not an accident that a company has stayed in business all of these years, they've always held their products to a very high standard. My parents also sold it in their 2 health food stores that they used to own. You may chalk it up to a 'pyramid scheme' or whatever. But you can't compare the quality of vitamins with the ones they sell elsewhere that are loaded with a bunch of extra fillers, etc. I do not sell Shaklee and neither do any of my siblings nor does my mother, she simply signed up as a distributor to get the lower prices on the items that they sell and we all buy our products through her. I can honestly tell you that there is a HUGE difference between these products and any other that you'll buy anywhere else. My mother has always used the detergents, cleaners, beauty products, vitamins and protein products from Shaklee. She is 83 years young and everyone comments on how she's full of vitality and how young she looks. I contribute that in part to Shaklee and Nature's Sunshine products.

Strong first post.

In other words-it's obvious you joined just to provide your "testimonial".
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Nope, definitely not a shill...

/s
  • stresco
    Options
    This is getting good! The Trolls are coming out. LOL
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Yes, because telling someone the truth = trolling now.
  • stresco
    Options

Ok... Now I'm confused... Are you actually getting angry because I agreed with you? This person angelfreez is an obvious Troll.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

You know you are write. MLM's are generally highly inferior as compared to vitamins made by NatureMade. NM are certified by an outside organization (USP) which ensure what they are selling actually contains the dosage stated.

Protein shakes are all pretty much the same. If you want probiotics, would sources those separately, then pay MLM prices.
  • elphie754
    Options

Ok... Now I'm confused... Are you actually getting angry because I agreed with you? This person angelfreez is an obvious Troll.

They are not a "troll", just someone who is doing marketing for the company.

• elphie754
    Options
    While googling this company, multiple FTC complaints were found. Many were in the form of accusing it of being a pyramid scheme. There were also a few calling its proprietary formula into question. The most recent FTC complaint was around 2015, once again accusing it of being a pyramid scheme. Apparently if you are distributer, you are required to buy more and more product, even if you haven't sold your previous inventory.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So basically what you are really looking for is validation of buying the product which you will likely not get here.

Nope... Definitely not what I want.

I want opinions from those who have actually used the products, positive or negative. Not hearsay because someone knew someone, who knows someone that has a cousin who got suckered into becoming a distributor.

I am looking for opinions on efficacy of the product's substance from CONSUMERS. I can read all I want from the propaganda pages listed online from the the company.

I don't need you or anyone to VALID my actions of buying anything.

What MommyL2015 wrote was very informative to me, however, it was from her memories as a child. Not relevant to today's formulations. Formula's change, taste of the protein shakes might have improved. The size of ANY adult vitamin is HUGE to a child.

Like I said, I have specific goals, or deficiencies in my diet for my personal reasons (like being allergic to all seafood).

So let me try and be more clear:

SHAKLEE PHYSIQUE - Recovery Shake (I work out hard when I get tot the gym and I am usually there int he evenings. I have found that most recovery shakes keep me up at night, do not help with recovery at all, or upset my stomach).

NUTRIFERON - Immunity booster (I just got over a bad case of pneumonia... I broke my system down too much by working too many hours, working out late and early mornings, running my own business and dealing with life and ended up in the hospital for 4 days on antibiotics. I am looking for something to give me an immunity boost to get me through the rest of the winter.)

180 WHEY SHAKE VANILLA - Protien Shake (I like my Muscle Milk and Gold Standard, but this is supposed to have probiotics already in the shake... Over the counter Protein shakes do not include probiotics, and I would have to take an additional substance to get them into my system).

MIND WORKS - Focus enhancer (I sometimes have to work odd hours, long hours behind a computer keyboard. I have to review lines of code, and formulas. This is when I am not studying for a certification exam. I am looking for a natural focus enhancer.)

I hope that is clear enough.

[edited by MFP Moderator]/quote]

I have already given you a link that there is no such product that will boost your immunity. Here aremore

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/boosting-immune-system-sorting-science-myth/
    https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4227
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/boost-your-immune-system/

MIND WORKS I cant find any studies to back up what this is supposed to do.

180 Shake - I see no probotics at all listed. You would be better off taking a multi vitamin and a cheaper shake.

24 grams of hunger-fighting protein*
    5 grams of fiber