No salt

Options
2»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You get used to it over time, and discover food has amazing flavor without (much) salt.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    In addition to the spice recommendations above (My two favorite go-to pre-mixes are McCormick's All Purpose and Trader Joe's 21 Spice Salute) I'd recommend an assortment of good balsamic vinegars- there are sweet ones, sharp ones, tangy ones- I use them for sauces for pork, chicken, fish, pretty much everything!

BUT now my doctor is warning me that I have an iodine deficiency and wants me to eat more fish and seaweed. Seaweed is disgusting and honestly, I don't see that low sodium has made a difference to my hypertension at all.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Thanks guys, a lot of useful tips here.
    I don't need to cut out salt from my diet, not that I know of but I am at a high risk of heart disease and want to do everyone I can to prevent it x

Buy a nice selection of herbs and spices. Make sure you get garlic and onion POWDER, not salt, and stay away from seasonings, unless they are listed as salt free. It is really easy to make your own seasoning mixes, there are recipes all over the internet. I make my own taco seasoning instead of using the pre-packaged ones that have tons of salt in them.

Essential herbs and spices IMHO:
    • garlic powder
    • onion powder
    • cumin
    • coriander
    • oregano
    • bay leaves
    • ginger
    • mustard powder
    • paprika (both sweet and smoked)
    • chili powder
    • cayenne pepper
    • turmeric
    • garam masala
    • dill weed
    • ground celery seed

I also use a lot of basil, rosemary, thyme, and chives but I prefer these fresh.

Winter savory?

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Thanks guys, a lot of useful tips here.
    I don't need to cut out salt from my diet, not that I know of but I am at a high risk of heart disease and want to do everyone I can to prevent it x

Buy a nice selection of herbs and spices. Make sure you get garlic and onion POWDER, not salt, and stay away from seasonings, unless they are listed as salt free. It is really easy to make your own seasoning mixes, there are recipes all over the internet. I make my own taco seasoning instead of using the pre-packaged ones that have tons of salt in them.

Essential herbs and spices IMHO:
    • garlic powder
    • onion powder
    • cumin
    • coriander
    • oregano
    • bay leaves
    • ginger
    • mustard powder
    • paprika (both sweet and smoked)
    • chili powder
    • cayenne pepper
    • turmeric
    • garam masala
    • dill weed
    • ground celery seed

I also use a lot of basil, rosemary, thyme, and chives but I prefer these fresh.

Winter savory?

Great list! My fav combo is chili powder, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. I use it ALL the time!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I like mortons salt substitute. I'm potassium deficient so it's a bonus for me. I recently was able to go off my water pill (hypertension) due to my weight loss.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    There is no need to cut salt unless you have high blood pressure or kidney problems, and even then it's about cutting down, not out.

If you don't have a medical reason to cut back on salt/sodium, why are you doing it? Not consuming salt doesn't make you "healthier", similar to not consuming sugar will make you "healthier". If you're really intent on having as little salt/sodium as possible - and speaking as someone who HAS to eat low sodium due to HBP, IDK why you even would - check out Mrs. Dash for no sodium mixes. http://www.mrsdash.com/products