Most stupid exercise thing you ever did

Options

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I can't really think of much to contribute (my stupid decisions were primarily food related) but I did purchase one of those mini stepper things in high school. A definite waste of money.

Mostly this thread is really reinforcing for me not to push myself beyond my limits in lifting or to try to lift with a mostly but not entirely healed injury. note to self: definitely DON'T try for leg day again until your knee is no longer swollen and you can squat and lunge without pain. Don't do it. Don't, you stupid wench.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    When I started doing resistance training, I looked up some videos online that demonstrated how to do a squat. They recommended doing 10. I am pretty flexible and really well-balanced, so I did 100. And couldn't walk the next day....stupid.

Ha! That's me every time I do a Body Pump class without having done one in years. Even if I drop the barbell after the first 20 squats and go body weight, it still kills. No one should do squats for a 3-minute song!

I also did the Greer Childers/weird breathing tape. Oxycise or something? I kind of liked it! Deep breathing is a good stress reliever. And I like my Jump Sport rebounder!

Stupidest thing: Bikram yoga, 4-6 times a week for 9 months, doing the forward bend parts wrong. My back is still messed up and it was years ago. So much for the value of live instruction.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I took a seminar in another city and didn't know we'd be doing aerobic-paced ballet full-out literally all day long. Everything from the neck down hurt for a week! It was the attack of the killer DOMS, lol.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In ninth grade, my buddy asked how many curls I could do with a ten pound dumbbell. I guessed probably 100.

Dad overheard and said no way on earth could I do 100 reps. So of course I had to prove him wrong (I did not work out back then).

I squeezed out all 100 reps with my right arm and dad goes "but it doesn't count unless you do both arms." So I squeezed out all 100 with my left arm.

Almost a week later I could fully extend my arms again. For several days it would take a few minutes to work past 90 degrees.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I rented that Carmen Electra strip tease work out video like a decade ago. It was really stupid and I felt like an idiot. Plus I doubt I actually burned all that many calories.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I rented that Carmen Electra strip tease work out video like a decade ago. It was really stupid and I felt like an idiot. Plus I doubt I actually burned all that many calories.

Omg my former bestie had that and did it all the time
  • svinson319
    svinson319 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Tried a primal fit class where we crawled around like animals for an hour. That was the last time I was able to move for 3 days.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Stupidest exercise thing I ever did? This:
    https://youtu.be/UqZ7grNqlk8

It was my mom's video. Early 90s? Late 80s? Gawd.

OMG, hilarious!
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    150 single leg body weight calf raises (75 ea leg.. positives, negatives, neutrals). Poor decision.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Treadmilled in bare feet. Never again. Ever. I'm lucky to still have skin on my feet
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Kept hiking toward the summit of an 11,000-foot peak even though I could see a storm blowing in. We were on the summit when the lightning and thunder began. Luckily the lightning didn't last long and we all made it down okay.
  • Sharon909
    Sharon909 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Went back to the gym after 2 years of not working out due to ruptured discs. Decided to do kettle bell swings and the next day my shoulder blades hurt so bad I was in tears.
  • FrancineDesign
    FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I ran around my backyard in a small circle in the dark until I burnt 500 calories haha
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    150 single leg body weight calf raises (75 ea leg.. positives, negatives, neutrals). Poor decision.

Use to do 75-100 rep sets (2-3 sets) with low weight on a seated calf raise...walking becomes challenging from DOMS
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I ran around my backyard in a small circle in the dark until I burnt 500 calories haha

I was trying desperately to get to 10k steps before midnight last night and ended up doing that thing in football movies where they go from foot to foot REALLY fast, in place, in my apartment parking lot at 11:58. Still broke my streak and missed 10k by 35 steps, haha.

That just looked stupid though. My truly bright moment was doing something idiotic on the treadmill and skinning two parts of my leg and getting a friction burn on my hand. Keep the clip on, friends, even if you're walking!
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Okay, when I first started working out a long time ago. I did many stupid things! My two stupidest are (1) I did very heavy weights when I didn't even know how to properly squat so I injured myself very badly. I couldn't even move for like a week and was in excruciating pain from something tearing in my right butt/back. I felt it as soon as I squatted and knew I had done something very stupid. The back pain kept coming back every so often after that. I had been doing squats for a while but I definitely didn't build the foundation of strength before increasing the weights! (2) I did weights pretty much every day using a video fitness series, called The Firm, so I burned myself out and got hurt. I did Tae Bo and regular weights on top of it sometimes and that did not help the situation. It wasn't even clear to me what I did wrong until the past few years. I thought I knew more than I did and I did read some books about the topic but obviously I was pretty clueless. They didn't really explain where to place your hips when you are squatting. I didn't know you are supposed to stick your butt out. You also need to focus on the basics if you have basically no background in sports.

Thankfully, I now know to take it easy and build some strength before going hog wild. I also know to give yourself a break when lifting weights and that you can do it every day if different muscles are focused on. I also got a PT for a session who told me how to do some moves properly. Oh, and you can do weights every day, but that should not last very long, 6 weeks is plenty!

• elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A few years back, I fell in love with canoeing. I.e. Paddled round a small lake for 30mins or so a few times over a couple of days. Several months later, I got to go again but this canoe place rented in 6hr blocks. To get my money's worth ...I paddled for 3 hours, pretty much without stopping.

I was in tears that night. I didn't know I had so many muscles in my body - and they were all screaming at the same time!

I have quickly forgotten it though...gone for several other 3hr paddles since (without the painful after effects). Canoeing is awesome!

The stupidest though has been to continue through injury. I have been nursing a bum knee since May 2015 and a bum elbow since August 2015. Every time they start to get better, I overdo it again. Sigh.
  • chickenpie
    chickenpie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Going for a run same day as giving blood. Was ok till i started to feel light headed towards the end.. Crawled in the front door & up the stairs to hug the loo...
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Stupidest exercise thing I ever did? This:
    https://youtu.be/UqZ7grNqlk8

It was my mom's video. Early 90s? Late 80s? Gawd.

Ah yes. The 80s and 90s. Anyone remember these things?

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-03-30/news/vw-49_1_new-toning-tables

I've done many stupid exercise things, but these were not one of them. I'm not that dumb.
  • Mountainbum777
    Mountainbum777 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I learned how important safety bars are on power racks years ago when set at the correct height for your squatting. I also learned the front squats are perhaps, the most comfortable exercise to fail on or lose balance.....