Most stupid exercise thing you ever did

Options

Replies

• KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    In Turbe Fire workout when Chalene tells you to "speedbag"....
    Ya
    Punched myself in the face and gave myself a nosebleed.

Proud moment.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    A few years back, I fell in love with canoeing. I.e. Paddled round a small lake for 30mins or so a few times over a couple of days. Several months later, I got to go again but this canoe place rented in 6hr blocks. To get my money's worth ...I paddled for 3 hours, pretty much without stopping.

I was in tears that night. I didn't know I had so many muscles in my body - and they were all screaming at the same time!

I have quickly forgotten it though...gone for several other 3hr paddles since (without the painful after effects). Canoeing is awesome!

The stupidest though has been to continue through injury. I have been nursing a bum knee since May 2015 and a bum elbow since August 2015. Every time they start to get better, I overdo it again. Sigh.

Me, too. I can never seem to convince myself to rest enough after a strain, etc. I get 80-90% of the way there, and ruin it by going too hard, too early.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    HIIT everyday for a week. I was so exhausted after that I could hardly workout at all the week after. It took sheer will power to keep working out after I exhausted my body like that. Be sure to do some thing with less intensity every other or every couple of days at least :)
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I went for a run while on vacation in New Orleans and wandered too far north of the French Quarter, apparently through some really dicey projects, and 3 different people either honked or started screaming at me to get back onto a main road where it was safer. It was daytime too so I wouldn't have thought any area could be THAT bad!

I also tried a piloxing class a couple of months ago that was real dumb, but in a different sense of the word.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Stupidest thing was probably not exercising, lifting, for 5 years.

Stupidest advice I gave, circa 1994, to my then girlfriend "Woman should only do squats because women are better at that kind of thing." (Thank you bodybuilding mags for teaching me that bit of casual sexism. Jerks.)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I love to hike the trails in state parks and always pick one that is at least moderate or intermediate.

Early last year when we were still building endurance we set out on a trail that connects to another, then another. ... 11 miles total. We didn't have to keep connecting but on the way out we were still ok. Coming back in was a big nope. I'd done a pretty intense (for me as a beginner) leg day the day before. I seriously thought we'd have to alert the park ranger to come get us in his 4wheeler cart the last few miles. We also hadn't fueled ourselves well and didn't have adequate nourishment with us. It was excruciatingly painful to move anything at all for days and days. My daughter is fit and strong and it about broke her too. :D

We haven't tried it again lol. We don't even go to that side of the park now. There are lovely trails there but mentally we just can't yet. It's our goal to finish it and a couple more miles (of a more difficult trail) that also connects. Some day.

For now, I'll stick to the 6 mile intermediate trail that is a great workout.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Stupidest advice I gave, circa 1994, to my then girlfriend "Woman should only do squats because women are better at that kind of thing." (Thank you bodybuilding mags for teaching me that bit of casual sexism. Jerks.)

Bwahahahaha! How did that go over?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

She accepted it, as I did.

But you have to remember it was a different time, some twenty plus years ago. Internet was only available at libraries -- if at all -- and not a lot of content either. BB mags were all we had and that was the prevailing wisdom at that time, as well as not eating fat (because it made you fat) etc.

We have it so much better now with the tremendous internet resources, smart phones, and access to programming just clicks away. Its breathtaking to be in a gym now and see someone not take advantage of it.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Hiking while unprepared.

The first time was in high school in the late 90s. A friend and I had planned on hanging out by the river in the mountains, so I just wore the cool thick foam flip-flops with cheap plastic thongs. Unfortunately, the parking lot was packed so she said lets go for a walk in another area. After a short, but steep uphill hike my feet had horrible blisters all along the thongs.

Second time, working part-time as an archaeologist and part-time doing report writing in the office. Archaeology manager texts me on Sunday asking if I could help out on a short survey that week. I tell her yes. Since she provided no other info, I assume she will tell me on Monday where we are going, who I am going with, how big the area is, and what day. NOPE. Turns out she had it planned for first thing Monday morning. I was lucky that I had worn jeans and sneakers instead of business clothes that day as I didn't have any meetings. Also, the survey only took about half a day. But I had to do it with still improper clothing, no sunscreen, no hat, no water, no food.... I was really lucky to avoid heat stress, which I am prone to. At the time I was still scared of this woman and didn't stand up for myself and insist that they let me stop at the store for some supplies, let me go home for supplies, go without me, or delay the survey.

Now, I ask more questions immediately and anytime there is a slight possibility of any hiking, I take EVERYTHING I could ever possibly need to survive in the wilderness the rest of my life :p
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

She accepted it, as I did.

But you have to remember it was a different time, some twenty plus years ago. Internet was only available at libraries -- if at all -- and not a lot of content either. BB mags were all we had and that was the prevailing wisdom at that time, as well as not eating fat (because it made you fat) etc.

We have it so much better now with the tremendous internet resources, smart phones, and access to programming just clicks away. Its breathtaking to be in a gym now and see someone not take advantage of it.

I graduated in 1993 and took weightlifting classes in high school. I remember well.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee power yoga when I was seriously out of shape. My back took forever to recover.
  • TamzFit777
    TamzFit777 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Had a Personal Trainer coworker talk me into finding my one rep max on squats. As I went down into the squat, I lost balance, tipped sideways used my bicep to pull the barbell back into position, tore my bicep brachii tendon and even after 2 years it still hurts when I do isolated bicep curls.
  • jesscran815
    jesscran815 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Prancercise
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    swung a kettlebell into my knee and fainted.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,423 Member
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    swung a kettlebell into my knee and fainted.

Just reading thus hurts! Aww! Is your knee still alive?

Most recent stupid thing: Doing my first ever 10 mile race, half of it with tail winds, half against the wind. Only it wasn't windy that day, it stormed with gusts of up to 50mph. Now I'm not tall nor heavy, and neither used to running when it's windy. Was... interesting. I managed to get to the finish, but was completely dead... I only ran just over 5 miles anyway and did a powerwalk for the rest.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    One funny, one a warning, both from circa 2009:

First one: I was on a treadmill and instead of pausing it for a breather, I jumped to the side. When I jumped back on... CRASH! BOOM! Skinned knees, arms, hands... and lots of embarassment, as it was in my parents' basement and they rushed in to see what was the matter and then promptly laughed at me.

Second one: In 2009, my family went down to Disney World to run the marathon weekend. I ran the half marathon, and then spent the next week walking around Disney World, Universal Studios and Sea World in....... totally unsupportive but undeniably cute flats, because I wanted to look fashionable. I have definitely learned the hard way that comfort > style in this situation. I ended up with knee pain that I (also stupidly) never took time off to heal until five years later.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Started Insanity one week, while very out of shape. Did 3 days of it then did a benefit walk the next day...and walked 20 miles in one day. I literally had to crawl up my front steps that night because I couldn't bend my legs enough to climb a stair. I would have illegally purchased narcotics to relieve the pain if I'd had access.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    During clean and press in a bodypump class.... took the "keep the bar close to your body" advice too seriously and hit myself in the nose with the press. Blood, crying, walked out of class, it was super embarrassing lol. It hurt so bad I couldn't play it off!
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ok-bought shake weight. Nuf said.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting, I was a half-repping machine.