Struggling to eat enough calories - Advice

Options
Im really struggling to eat enough calories. I'm looking at around 1800 a day but am not normally eating half that. Any advice would be much appreciated if anyone else has the same issues?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You might find some ideas of what you can include to boost your calories here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

But I want to add the caveat that a lot of people underestimate their calories and portion sizes when they start out. So it's worth taking a look at your logging to be sure you're not missing anything and are weighing/measuring as accurately as you can and aren't eyeballing any of your portion sizes.
  • hsilver4
    hsilver4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight then staying under your calories is great! But don't deprive or starve yourself to get there!
  • Kristie354
    Kristie354 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You might find some ideas of what you can include to boost your calories here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

But I want to add the caveat that a lot of people underestimate their calories and portion sizes when they start out. So it's worth taking a look at your logging to be sure you're not missing anything and are weighing/measuring as accurately as you can and aren't eyeballing any of your portion sizes.

Thanks for the link. Definitely weighing all portions etc. I just don't eat a lot.
  • Kristie354
    Options
    hsilver4 wrote: »
    If your goal is to lose weight then staying under your calories is great! But don't deprive or starve yourself to get there!

I find I lose more weight if I'm eating right but it's so hard to make myself eat 1800 calories a day if I'm trying to do it with good food.
  • KendraMonster
    KendraMonster Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Aim for at least 1200 to make sure your body is not going into starvation mode. I struggle with this as well but I have found if eat things high in protein I can eat closer to my recommended calorie requirements. I like to put avocado on lots of things, almond butter on fruit/oatmeal. You will get there, it just takes time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

That's not true and fairly dangerous advice

If following MFP you should meet your target plus exercise calories ...certainly as a woman 1200 calories has been set as the minimum at which nutritional requirements can be met

op ...if you truly are struggling and it's been a while then replace low fat with full fat, add vegetable oils, cream and butter, a handful of nuts, avocado, cheese

Once you have met your protein and fat targets as a minimum and eaten wide range of nutritionally dense foods have a bowl of ice cream, chocolate, chips

Nobody got overweight by being unable to eat, your issue is believing in good / bad foods rather than good / bad diets (diet meaning your overall food intake not weight loss plan)
  • Kristie354
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That's not true and fairly dangerous advice

If following MFP you should meet your target plus exercise calories ...certainly as a woman 1200 calories has been set as the minimum at which nutritional requirements can be met

op ...if you truly are struggling and it's been a while then replace low fat with full fat, add vegetable oils, cream and butter, a handful of nuts, avocado, cheese

Once you have met your protein and fat targets as a minimum and eaten wide range of nutritionally dense foods have a bowl of ice cream, chocolate, chips

Nobody got overweight by being unable to eat, your issue is believing in good / bad foods rather than good / bad diets (diet meaning your overall food intake not weight loss plan)

I would be happy to share my diary. if you have any specific advice it would be much appreciated.
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The key, if I understand what you want, is eating high calorie, healthy foods. I totally know what you mean by it being hard to eat more calories healthy. I make about 3200 and it's a sever struggle.

So...foods that are high in calories. Grains! Flour! Pasta! Those are foods typical in weight gain and muscle gain, cause such a small amount still contains pretty dense calories. But you still want to make sure you're eating the healthy grains.
    I've tried sticking to salad....but there is only so much you can add to a salad to pack in more calories before it becomes a mountain of food that takes all day to eat! Not even kidding!!
    Also! You really want to make sure you are getting your nutrients right as well!!! Not having a proper balance of carbs, potassium, iron...ect, will really throw off your eating cycle. Whether making it seem you're always hungry, or always full. Just because you're full, doesn't mean your body is getting what you need.
    So I'm assuming you want to gain weight since you're eating so many calories. (If you don't want to, you need to stop) all those calories have to go somewhere. Gaining weight WILL come as long as you put more cals' in than you're burning.
  • brucealfred3
    Options
    Phew! That's a lot of typing! Lol. Anyway!

So I'm sure you don't want to gain fat, so if you're eating that much, you needn't workout. Cause all that unused food is gonna get stored to the thing we all love. FAT!! So!
    Another good source of calories that's my favorite is meat! I LOVE meat!!! It's so good. My mouth is watering.
    Remember though...people are truly meant to eat mainly greens, veggies. All plants. So the more meat you have, you have to eat even more greens to keep the balance. I lost my train of thought....hold on.
    Aha! Back to calories. I find the most calories I get are in my snacks and salad dressings. Those organic nongmo chips are amazingly good! And 2 servings have about 210cals. So it's not too bad.

And lastly...when you purpose to eat more...you're gonna have to endure the pain and keep eating. It's gonna hurt, and you're gonna eat something and be so full...that just the thought of a Twinkie will make you gag. Lol.
    So I hope this helps! Please feel free to message me for anything else. I truly LOVE helping people with fitness. Goodnight
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    The key, if I understand what you want, is eating high calorie, healthy foods. I totally know what you mean by it being hard to eat more calories healthy. I make about 3200 and it's a sever struggle.

So...foods that are high in calories. Grains! Flour! Pasta! Those are foods typical in weight gain and muscle gain, cause such a small amount still contains pretty dense calories. But you still want to make sure you're eating the healthy grains.
    I've tried sticking to salad....but there is only so much you can add to a salad to pack in more calories before it becomes a mountain of food that takes all day to eat! Not even kidding!!
    Also! You really want to make sure you are getting your nutrients right as well!!! Not having a proper balance of carbs, potassium, iron...ect, will really throw off your eating cycle. Whether making it seem you're always hungry, or always full. Just because you're full, doesn't mean your body is getting what you need.
    So I'm assuming you want to gain weight since you're eating so many calories. (If you don't want to, you need to stop) all those calories have to go somewhere. Gaining weight WILL come as long as you put more cals' in than you're burning.

According to the OP they're struggling to eat more than about 900 calories. Telling them to stop trying to eat more is bad advice. A goal of 1800 is hardly bulking territory for most people.
  • brucealfred3
    Options

According to the OP they're struggling to eat more than about 900 calories. Telling them to stop trying to eat more is bad advice. A goal of 1800 is hardly bulking territory for most people.

I didn't tell her to stop eating. Before you criticize my years of experience, you should probably focus on helping her.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

So I'm assuming you want to gain weight since you're eating so many calories. (If you don't want to, you need to stop
    ) all those calories have to go somewhere. Gaining weight WILL come as long as you put more cals' in than you're burning.

I didn't tell her to stop eating. Before you criticize my years of experience, you should probably focus on helping her.

Yes, you did - see below.

• diannethegeek
    Options

I did, in the first response.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Since you are focusing on eating the "right things" during the day, you might be able to get up to at least 1,200 calories at the end of the day by eating something calorie dense like cheese, or by eating those foods you used to eat, like a doughnut.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi there, feel free to add me:)
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    @brucealfred3 so much woo and just plain bad and wrong info....

Experience in what, exactly?

"more calories healthy" - what does this mean? What is a healthy calorie ans what is not healthy one?

Grains! Flour! Pasta! Those are foods typical in weight gain and muscle gain - can you explain how these foods are "typical"... for "muscle gain"?

"Not having a proper balance of carbs, potassium, iron...ect, will really throw off your eating cycle" - first of all you're mixing macros with micros; secondly, please explain what is the "eating cycle" and how it could be thrown off, better yet, how it should be "on"

"So I'm assuming you want to gain weight since you're eating so many calories" - so, do you think eating 1800 is a definite way to gain weight? Why?

"If you don't want to, you need to stop" - OP, please disregard this completely

Gaining weight WILL come as long as you put more cals' in than you're burning - got to give you credit for that!
    Phew! That's a lot of typing! Lol. Anyway!

So I'm sure you don't want to gain fat, so if you're eating that much, you needn't workout. Cause all that unused food is gonna get stored to the thing we all love. FAT!! So!
    Another good source of calories that's my favorite is meat! I LOVE meat!!! It's so good. My mouth is watering.
    Remember though...people are truly meant to eat mainly greens, veggies. All plants. So the more meat you have, you have to eat even more greens to keep the balance. I lost my train of thought....hold on.
    Aha! Back to calories. I find the most calories I get are in my snacks and salad dressings. Those organic nongmo chips are amazingly good! And 2 servings have about 210cals. So it's not too bad.

And lastly...when you purpose to eat more...you're gonna have to endure the pain and keep eating. It's gonna hurt, and you're gonna eat something and be so full...that just the thought of a Twinkie will make you gag. Lol.
    So I hope this helps! Please feel free to message me for anything else. I truly LOVE helping people with fitness. Goodnight

"So I'm sure you don't want to gain fat, so if you're eating that much, you needn't workout" - what does this mean?

"Remember though...people are truly meant to eat mainly greens, veggies" - says who?

"Those organic nongmo chips are amazingly good" - how good are they? And, are they specifically good because they are not "organic nongmo"? So, if I give you two chips to try, will you be able to taste and tell me which was is GMO/Non organic and which is nongmo/organic? LOL
  • NippyinLondon
    NippyinLondon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to gain slowly and that is what I want. My coach had to drill down first to find out why I wasn't able to gain, either super fast metabolism, sluggish thyroid, parasites or just out of balance. Once it was established, he put me on a strict diet of fruits and vegetables, along with good carbs and proteins and more importantly,certain vitamins and minerals that I was short on (some for stress & sleep) and the BIG one, was drinking a protein shake "after" each meal and snack. Usually people looking to lose weight take this drink as a meal replacement. It did take over 8 weeks before I saw any real change but I've now increased 4 lbs and if I continue with the regiment, I should be able to reach my goal of adding a total of 8-10 lbs by summer. Whew! Quite a mouthful. Hope this is helpful..
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain/lose? what are your goals?
  • Kristie354
    Options
    Okay a couple of things, firstly Id like to thank everyone for their advice and input it's truly appreciated. What I don't appreciate are people high jacking the thread to prove a point that they're right and being nasty about it in the process. If some of the above posts are a reflection of how people on here treat each other then I'm disappointed. I thought this app/site was for support, information & motivation?

I am trying to lose weight but....I have been told because of lack of calories I have put my body into starvation mode. So even if I eat an apple I gain. So I'm trying to eat more calories, get my body okay with losing weight and then do it properly but I'm struggling with eating for a couple of reasons.

1. It makes me feel sick. Like I want to throw up sick
    2. I'm not hungry

I also have zero energy. The last few days I have forced about 600-700 calories down but I don't think that's enough. From what I'm told I need 1200 minimum.

I started my weight loss at 136kgs, I wasn't eating, I wasn't well. I dropped to 120kgs during this time. I have put on 2.5kgs in the last 4 days since I've been forcing the 6-7 hundred calories a day.

My goal is to lose 40kgs. 80kgs is my goal weight but tbh I just want to be healthy again and have my energy back. Right now I have nothing......
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Okay a couple of things, firstly Id like to thank everyone for their advice and input it's truly appreciated. What I don't appreciate are people high jacking the thread to prove a point that they're right and being nasty about it in the process. If some of the above posts are a reflection of how people on here treat each other then I'm disappointed. I thought this app/site was for support, information & motivation?

information trumps support when support is given mindlessly. The information you receive that is grounded in fact should serve to support you, even if it isn't what you want to hear. Do not let people correcting misinformation worry you.. that is how we all learn

I am trying to lose weight but....I have been told because of lack of calories I have put my body into starvation mode. So even if I eat an apple I gain. So I'm trying to eat more calories, get my body okay with losing weight and then do it properly but I'm struggling with eating for a couple of reasons.

I'm afraid whoever has told you this is wrong, this isn't what happens. Adaptive thermogenesis is a thing, but starvation mode is a media-manipulated bastardisation of the basic science behind it and not true. So you can feel free to ignore it

1. It makes me feel sick. Like I want to throw up sick
    2. I'm not hungry

that doesn't sound good, I think the trick for you would be increasing the calorie density of the meals you eat when you are hungry. Providing that your logging is accurate

I also have zero energy. The last few days I have forced about 600-700 calories down but I don't think that's enough. From what I'm told I need 1200 minimum.

If you truly are eating that low an amount of calories (energy) then yes you would have zero energy. Add sugar drinks like soda? Or make high calorie juice drinks etc to sip on

I started my weight loss at 136kgs, I wasn't eating, I wasn't well. I dropped to 120kgs during this time. I have put on 2.5kgs in the last 4 days since I've been forcing the 6-7 hundred calories a day.

If you have been undereating and you increase your calories you will get a water weight swing - it isn't fat it's just fluctatuations so don't let it worry you

My goal is to lose 40kgs. 80kgs is my goal weight but tbh I just want to be healthy again and have my energy back. Right now I have nothing......

you need to accept the fact that if you have managed to become 40kg overweight you are consuming more calories than you think. As the body does not create fat out of nothing. Perhaps you need to read the calorie counting 101 thread which is pinned in helpful posts at the top of the forum