Struggling to eat enough calories - Advice

Options

Replies

• 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hi,

nobody should eat food that they don't like. But fruit is a good source for micronutrients and fibre! There must be some fruit that you like, no? Strawberries?

Have you heard of the "Twinkie diet"? edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I find it an interesting read. This guy tried to prove that it's actually unhealthy to lose weight if you only look at your calories and eat crap food. So he ate for 10 weeks at a calorie deficit but only Twinkies, Doritos, Sugar Cereal, Oreos etc. (Plus micronutrient in form of supplements but with very little impact on the ammount of calories). He lost over 12kg and was surprised that all his health indicators were better after this diet. So he actually couldnt prove that it's unhealthy ... I would not recommend this diet. But I think it shows that it's good to focus on calories first and worry about the rest when you get closer to your goal (fine tuning).

You'll feel more energetic once you lose weight. Even more so if you start working out right now :)

• Kristie354
    Kristie354 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    75in2013 wrote: »
    Hi,

nobody should eat food that they don't like. But fruit is a good source for micronutrients and fibre! There must be some fruit that you like, no? Strawberries?

Have you heard of the "Twinkie diet"? edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I find it an interesting read. This guy tried to prove that it's actually unhealthy to lose weight if you only look at your calories and eat crap food. So he ate for 10 weeks at a calorie deficit but only Twinkies, Doritos, Sugar Cereal, Oreos etc. (Plus micronutrient in form of supplements but with very little impact on the ammount of calories). He lost over 12kg and was surprised that all his health indicators were better after this diet. So he actually couldnt prove that it's unhealthy ... I would not recommend this diet. But I think it shows that it's good to focus on calories first and worry about the rest when you get closer to your goal (fine tuning).

You'll feel more energetic once you lose weight. Even more so if you start working out right now :)

That's a really interesting read. I am going to start working out but I have some physical limitations so I need to be careful. I have degenerated discs in my back and I've lost a lot of muscle tone in the left side of my body (although no dr has told me why yet) So I think I'll start with swimming, I can do lots of weights I'm just not great with walking long distances or crunches and things like that.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 2700 calories a day . Try meal preping . And from what source are you getting your calories ? Carbs tend to have higher calories than proteins and fats .

Carbs and protein have the same number of calories - 4, fat is 9 calories
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So today I ate over 1000 calories. Mostly crap calories but I'm just trying to eat to get used to it again so I'm not all that worried at the moment. I will start to replace the bad with good as I do some more research and find things that I enjoy eating that will give me what I need.

Meal prep will definitely be my best friend if I want to be successful in changing my lifestyle.

Stop looking at food as "bad" or "good". Your diary wasn't crap. You had one donut (I'd be careful with the calorie count, unless it was a mini donut, that's pretty low). I'd also watch the chicken curry entry, also very low. Did you eat it on rice?

Don't be afraid to eat food. Try adding some veggies and fruit like other people mentioned. Don't be afraid to enjoy the odd treat.
    I'd also cut back on the coffee as it tends to decrease appetite, at least until you get the swing of eating more calories.
  • Kristie354
    Options
    So today I ate over 1000 calories. Mostly crap calories but I'm just trying to eat to get used to it again so I'm not all that worried at the moment. I will start to replace the bad with good as I do some more research and find things that I enjoy eating that will give me what I need.

Meal prep will definitely be my best friend if I want to be successful in changing my lifestyle.

Stop looking at food as "bad" or "good". Your diary wasn't crap. You had one donut (I'd be careful with the calorie count, unless it was a mini donut, that's pretty low). I'd also watch the chicken curry entry, also very low. Did you eat it on rice?

Don't be afraid to eat food. Try adding some veggies and fruit like other people mentioned. Don't be afraid to enjoy the odd treat.
    I'd also cut back on the coffee as it tends to decrease appetite, at least until you get the swing of eating more calories.

It was a mini donut lol and the chicken curry definitely wasn't right but no I didn't have it on rice. I figured even if it was double what I entered it was still an okay day. I will try sticking to one coffee tomorrow.
  • M30834134
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @kristiesoto354, if you are serious about making long lasting changes, and it appears that you are, do yourself a favor and buy a kitchen digital food scale and measure all your foods you eat (measure liquids with a measuring cup).

Weight loss is, ultimately, very simple and it all comes down to counting calories. It would've been simple if we could touch or physically count each calorie we eat or burn - but that's not the case. In reality, counting calories is bunch of approximation and estimation: BMR - estimated, TDEE - estimated, exercise calories - estimated, food calories - estimated. These estimations stack up and compound to a pretty large variance and eyeballing our portions takes that variance into another dimension. Everything is estimated and we have no control over most of it - except your food portions! So, be accurate with your logging as you possibly can - measure everything on a kitchen scale (which might even show that you could have been eating quite more than you thought you were)
  • Kristie354
    Options
    OMG....I lost weight!! I went up to 122.5 which I didn't log because I'm only logging my weight once a week and now I'm 119.4

So impressed impressed with this whole eating thing I will try it more often ;)
  • M30834134
    Options
    OMG....I lost weight!! I went up to 122.5 which I didn't log because I'm only logging my weight once a week and now I'm 119.4

Great!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    OP, opening your dairy would be helpful to give you a better recommendations

Done

Uh, you are basically starving yourself if you are logging everything you are eating.
    It looks like you've only been logging for a week (I didn't look back much further though)

How long have you been at this?

You noted coffee makes you feel sick so you don't feel hungry, stop drinking the coffee.

You noted that you put on 2.5kgs (5lbs). Over what time frame? Are you restricting calories like this then going off and eating a bunch?

I have only been logging for a week this time but this isn't the first time I've used this app and logged. I log everything that goes into my mouth with the exception of medication and vitamins that I take.

Coffee specifically doesn't make me sick. Anything I eat or drink with the exception of water makes me sick. I'm definitely not going off for brunch and if I did I would log it.

Okay I'm going to try and build up to 1200 calories a day. I just need to work out how to get them in healthy foods.

Thank you for the advice. It's appreciated.

Make an appointment with your doctor if food makes you sick.

^Seconding this. If everything you eat makes you sick then there's a deeper issue that may be very serious.

One thing that caught my attention is the amount of sodium you consume each day in proportion to the low number of calories you are eating. I'm not sure it matters and you are most of the time within the daily recommendations for sodium. Just something to think about.
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood work done? I'm assuming you have.. but sometimes even being on borderline with some things can make a difference, such as your iron levels or thyroid. Also hormone balances.. There is also food intolerance's to consider. It doesn't sound right that food is making you feel sick. Like maybe there is something wrong in your gut?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Happy to hear this!
  • Kristie354
    Options
    kristib12 wrote: »
    Have you had your blood work done? I'm assuming you have.. but sometimes even being on borderline with some things can make a difference, such as your iron levels or thyroid. Also hormone balances.. There is also food intolerance's to consider. It doesn't sound right that food is making you feel sick. Like maybe there is something wrong in your gut?

After the last couple of days I think it had more to do with my head than my gut. I've aimed to eat around 1000 calories a day and I do feel a little sick but I believe that's just from not eating properly for so long. I have been told my whole life the less you eat the more you lose and I can now see how easy it is for people to "fall" into eating disorders without even realising it. Since I've been telling myself it's okay to eat I feel so much better.

I am still going to go back to the dr and double check everything but I feel pretty good today.
  • samsungreason
    samsungreason Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The use of protein shakes, supplement shakes and protein bars, it helps. I keep cans in the truck and down one when I am low. I was not trying to lose weight when I started to drink slim fast, but when hunting, it was fast, easy and it carried well. I'd even drink a slim fast along with my meal to help maintain nutrition. I have recently started using this app and I have found at times, I have to eat a mega bar, loaded with everything needed to maintain nutrition.
  • Kristie354
    Options
    The use of protein shakes, supplement shakes and protein bars, it helps. I keep cans in the truck and down one when I am low. I was not trying to lose weight when I started to drink slim fast, but when hunting, it was fast, easy and it carried well. I'd even drink a slim fast along with my meal to help maintain nutrition. I have recently started using this app and I have found at times, I have to eat a mega bar, loaded with everything needed to maintain nutrition.

I normally have a protein shake at some point during the day, mostly breakfast. I also hunt and understand the need to travel light. I have been thinking about what to take to keep up my calories next time I go. I think that's a good plan.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Im really struggling to eat enough calories. I'm looking at around 1800 a day but am not normally eating half that. Any advice would be much appreciated if anyone else has the same issues?

Have a couple of protein shakes a day

Almonds

Avocado

Mix olive oil with salad

I eat Greek yoghurt with almonds for breaky and that comes to around 380 calories

For mid morning snack its salad, mushrooms, 300 calories worth of avocado, 180 calories worth of tuna

For my next snack s couple of eggs 160 calories & 3 egg whites. Total 220 calories

Sometimes I'll have protein shake in afternoon 159 calories 1 glass milk, and 115 for protein powder.

For dinner 4-500 calories, then some fruit.

I also have coffee, milk, 1// teaspoon brown sugar three times daily.

Its not too hard just find calorie dense foods.
  • Kristie354
    Options
    Sounds really good. Thanks for the ideas.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

After the last couple of days I think it had more to do with my head than my gut. I've aimed to eat around 1000 calories a day and I do feel a little sick but I believe that's just from not eating properly for so long. I have been told my whole life the less you eat the more you lose and I can now see how easy it is for people to "fall" into eating disorders without even realising it. Since I've been telling myself it's okay to eat I feel so much better.

I am still going to go back to the dr and double check everything but I feel pretty good today.

Which is what I suspected.
    I also suspected that severe restricting likely ends with you giving up or binging.
    Part of this whole thing is learning balance. Don't be scared of food. Give up the idea of "dieting" as in restricting "bad" food.
    Pick a reasonable calorie goal. Focus on eating mostly whole food from a variety of sources and add in a few things you like to eat. It will take awhile to figure out how to balance the calorie intake with what keeps you fuller longer. Protein and fat tend to help keep you full. So does fiber.
  • Kristie354
    Options

Which is what I suspected.
    I also suspected that severe restricting likely ends with you giving up or binging.
    Part of this whole thing is learning balance. Don't be scared of food. Give up the idea of "dieting" as in restricting "bad" food.
    Pick a reasonable calorie goal. Focus on eating mostly whole food from a variety of sources and add in a few things you like to eat. It will take awhile to figure out how to balance the calorie intake with what keeps you fuller longer. Protein and fat tend to help keep you full. So does fiber.

Normally I don't think about it, it's just what I eat in a day but then in a sense you're right because then I would have days where I would be out all day and just eating loads of fast food calories.

I am just focusing on getting up to 1200 calories with the most healthy food I have available. I have done high protein low carb before and it was great but it wasn't sustainable.

Thanks for your input. It all helps to keep me focused and on track.
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi

I had a look at your diary too and I think one place where you could definitely add calories is during breakfast time. Maybe some mashed avocado on toast, or porridge, or scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, peanut butter on toast.

I went back as far as last wednesday, where you had no dinner at all, but I see that some times your lunch calories are quite low as well. At this point in the day maybe you could add a filling soup or another protein shake. Is the reason you're not eating so much because you feel nauseous the whole day? If this has been going on for a while, it's definitely a good idea to see your doctor.

As others have said, if you don't have one already get an electronic food scale if you can and use it to measure out what you're eating.

Good luck!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    So I'm assuming you want to gain weight since you're eating so many calories. (If you don't want to, you need to stop) all those calories have to go somewhere. Gaining weight WILL come as long as you put more cals' in than you're burning.

1800 is not "so many calories" and most women will not gain on that amount. When I want to cut, I stay on 2200 and that is more than fine for me to lose weight. It's not like I'm exercising all the time either, 3x a week lifting and a desk job.

Yes, if you eat more than you're burning you'll gain weight. However, I'm assuming that if the OP wants to lose weight, they have already plugged their stats and goals into MFP and as such, MFP has given them a target goal of 1800. To undereat by approx 900 is not good for you, especially as this puts her under 1200 a day. Plus, as she's said, she loses better when she's eating properly.

To the OP, it seems to be very common that when people make a lifestyle change and try to eat healthier, they struggle with eating enough. I think this is because people try so hard to eat only "healthy" or "clean" foods that they usually don't take in enough calorie dense foods, as many have been unnecessarily branded "bad" or "fattening". The thing to realise is if you're staying within your goal, there is no need to dismiss certain foods altogether, unless you have an intolerance/allergy, or they just don't make you feel/performance well, or they're a trigger for things like binge eating. Otherwise, go ahead! Just in moderation.

If you've got to the point where you wish to lose weight, there most likely are several of these foods that you enjoy, and you'll be able to enjoy now as well, as part of a balanced diet and practicing portion control. Also, if you're substituting certain foods for the lighter or fat free versions, remember that often the fat and calories are replaced with sugar and salt. Not that I think either are the enemy, but just because they're lower calorie does not mean they're better for you.

Nuts, milk, butter, red meat, pasta, rice, eggs, cheese etc plus many other calorie dense foods can all be used to boost your intake and help you get to a reasonable level. As can other treats such as dessert. Yes, I'm encouraging dessert. If you've had a healthy balance of fruit, vegetable and your micro are fulfilled, I see no reason why you can't. I would of course opt for nutrient dense foods as a priority though.