To my brethren and sistren* converted from deep and woo

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I may be sounding kinda stupid, but what's "deep" and "woo?" I've seen WOO used a lot. I'm not hip with this lingo.

It's better to keep it that way. You're not missing much and the fact that you don't use these non-words is a good sign. Oh, and the funny thing is that "deep" is misspelled in this thread to begin with.

That's likely due to the OP using a phone with autocorrect. That happens a lot for phone users.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I may be sounding kinda stupid, but what's "deep" and "woo?" I've seen WOO used a lot. I'm not hip with this lingo.

It's better to keep it that way. You're not missing much and the fact that you don't use these non-words is a good sign. Oh, and the funny thing is that "deep" is misspelled in this thread to begin with.

Have you read any Shakespeare? It's full of newly coined words. You probably know that. Language evolves whether we like it or not. Best to stay open for the sake of effective communication. I have never spoken the words derp and woo. I am too old and would look foolish. But for the sake of internet communication, its good to stay up on it. Thank you Urban Dictionary."

Shakespeare was a master of word invention

Also the word 'derp' as I mentioned above has already made it into the Oxford Dictionary - in fact it entered 3 years ago, so it's not exactly new

:)

I love how organic language is
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Have you read any Shakespeare? It's full of newly coined words. You probably know that. Language evolves whether we like it or not. Best to stay open for the sake of effective communication. I have never spoken the words derp and woo. I am too old and would look foolish. But for the sake of internet communication, its good to stay up on it. Thank you Urban Dictionary."

Also the word 'derp' as I mentioned above has already made it into the Oxford Dictionary - in fact it entered 3 years ago, so it's not exactly new

Right? For nerds like myself, here's a sampling of some other new "official" entries in 2015:

autotune
    Blu-ray
    camming
    crowdfund
    e-cig
    FLOTUS
    handsy
    hot mess
    jeggings
    kettlebell
    koozie
    photobomb
    retweet
    sext
    shizzle
    twerk
    webisode
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »

"Deep" is a typo for "derp," which is a term used occasionally by my 13-year-old son and his friends. They use it usually as an adjective for something that is silly or ridiculous. "Woo" is used to mean something tricksy/deceptive, as far as I can tell.

ETA, @WalkingAlong Thank you for making excellent points.

"Derp" is an ableist slur used to insult people with cognitive impairments.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

But... but... then you can't take passive aggressive stabs at posters. ;)

I have a family member who may as well join the Woo of the Month Club. It isn't worth it to me to do anything about it, but if my mom asks for my opinion about the new fad from this person, I'll tell her.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I agree with the smile and nod approach in most occasions. I think the "mean people" attitude might come from the pile on effect. If someone asks a question and immediately 2 of 10 people tell them in not so gentle terms, and 8 logically express that this is not a good idea, it can "feel" mean. I take a wait and see approach, to decide if more information is needed or if it will "feel" like a pile on, to the person who questions. I use, "I have found" or "in my experience statements", and fact based resources if needed to reinforce. If I become irritated, I just walk away, especially when it is not my circus and not my monkeys.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

wx72css1hphn.png

I can imagine future language traditionalists insisting that people need to stop using whatever trendy word they will have for this in the future and instead use the more proper word "derp".
  • Soccerdawg71
    Soccerdawg71 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I get told EVERY DAY that I'm wrong. "You can't eat like that! You'll get fat! You shouldn't snack. You shouldn't eat carbs. Carbs are evil! Eating pizza and bread will make you lose" Really conflicting I know.

What really angers me, is when I go to town looking for lactose and gluten free things. And everyone comments on Banting and gf in that crappy diet type of way. "Oh my friend lost so much weight on banting/by going gluten free!"

:neutral:

Yeah, I can't tolerate gluten or lactose because of IBS, it's not some stupid diet. That just really pisses me off. It's like an insult to me. Lol

Wait ... Banting is still a thing? I wrote a 20-page history paper about late 19th and early 20th century diet fads (and how religions got on board -- Christian Scientists, Adventists, etc.), and Banting showed up in that. Pretty much every food-related thing from that era is complete hooey, but Banting's "Letter on Corpulence" was one of the first attempts to tell people that they should watch what they eat. But still ... people still do Banting? Haven't we come a long way from then?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Comparing deep and woo to Shakespeare. Thank you soulofgrace.

Shakespeare appealed to the masses. Do you know how many euphemisms for *kitten* he had in his plays?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

wx72css1hphn.png

I can imagine future language traditionalists insisting that people need to stop using whatever trendy word they will have for this in the future and instead use the more proper word "derp".

Hard to say what will be in use and what won't, it's completely unpredictable and there are always transformations of words and their usage anyway. Think of what "terrific" and "horrible" should really mean and "bad" has undergone changes in many contexts as well. Most people would find Dickens to be readable but rather difficult and Shakespeare requires an interpreter at times.

I doubt "derp" will make it past the slang phase as it's still not widely used, in fact, other than here I don't think I run across it in my daily life.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
  • Soccerdawg71
    Soccerdawg71 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I admit, I had to look up "woo," but I will now use it with abandon. I have little patience for those who believe in garbage they read on the Internet. When a friend posts non-scientific stuff on Facebook, I'm always the first to respond and tell them that it's nonsense.

I have more patience for those who believe Dr. Oz because at least he is a doctor, so they have reason to believe he might know what he's talking about. Unfortunately, if he does know, he's not sharing it with the world.

I had a boss once who was one step above completely illiterate. The saddest part is that she was a newspaper publisher. She bought every weight loss thing she saw on TV. She bought that thing that shocks your abs, thinking it would give her a washboard stomach. When she declared it didn't work, I was like, "And you're surprised?"

She bought that Hollywood 48-Hour Miracle Diet -- the one that is basically a bottle of overpriced juice, and was so upset that it didn't work and she actually gained weight. I asked her if she stopped eating while drinking the juice, and she said, "what?" I informed her that the juice diet was a fast and you're only supposed to drink the juice for 48 hours. Of course you'd lose weight because it's 48 hours of starvation. She just ate like normal and washed it down with her expensive juice. I'm sure she hated me because I laughed at her all the time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »

Big deal, Lord Byron was an evil immortal :tongue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zujtbzG-Ik. :tongue:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Right? For nerds like myself, here's a sampling of some other new "official" entries in 2015:

autotune
    Blu-ray
    camming
    crowdfund
    e-cig
    FLOTUS
    handsy
    hot mess
    jeggings
    kettlebell
    koozie
    photobomb
    retweet
    sext
    shizzle
    twerk
    webisode

I challenge you to use every one of those words in forum posts today.

We can start with "Juggs, please stop twerking while wearing your jeggings. You look like a hot mess".
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

autotune
    Blu-ray
    camming
    crowdfund
    e-cig
    FLOTUS
    handsy
    hot mess
    jeggings
    kettlebell
    koozie
    photobomb
    retweet
    sext
    shizzle
    twerk
    webisode

I'm still upset that it's not L.A.S.E.R. anymore...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

autotune
    Blu-ray
    camming
    crowdfund
    e-cig
    FLOTUS
    handsy
    hot mess
    jeggings
    kettlebell
    koozie
    photobomb
    retweet
    sext
    shizzle
    twerk
    webisode

I'm still upset that it's not L.A.S.E.R. anymore...

Yeah, I actually didn't realize it was an acronym till I took first year physics. :blush:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »

"Deep" is a typo for "derp," which is a term used occasionally by my 13-year-old son and his friends. They use it usually as an adjective for something that is silly or ridiculous. "Woo" is used to mean something tricksy/deceptive, as far as I can tell.

ETA, @WalkingAlong Thank you for making excellent points.

"Derp" is an ableist slur used to insult people with cognitive impairments.

Arguably, it isn't ableist. Unlike the terms stupid, idiot, moron, or fool, derp has never been a form of diagnosis for people, nor used to classify people based on having an acknowledged disability.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Agreed. I don't like every new coinage and dislike some of the new ways that words evolve, because don't like change or think some are ugly or unhelpful, but the idea that a word is bad because new is so silly.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Agreed. I don't like every new coinage and dislike some of the new ways that words evolve, because don't like change or think some are ugly or unhelpful, but the idea that a word is bad because new is so silly.

Derp has been around for 15 years or so - from South Park, as an onomatopoeia effect of the "sound commonly made in a klutzy situation when things go horribly wrong." There was a character with that name in '99. It appears ableist because it has often been associated with visual memes - but in reality, not so much. One might be "full of derp" but not "he is derp".

For those fascinated by language evolution - Word Play is an excellent book. I love how languages evolve - each language I've learned has its own fluidity and visual space. Great stuff, especially when translated literally. "That's cow" or "that's owl" means something in French, not so much in English. (C'est vache ou c'est chouette) I don't use 'woo' or 'derp' much but I see nothing wrong with them.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

WinoGelato wrote: »

autotune
    Blu-ray
    camming
    crowdfund
    e-cig
    FLOTUS
    handsy
    hot mess
    jeggings
    kettlebell
    koozie
    photobomb
    retweet
    sext
    shizzle
    twerk
    webisode

I challenge you to use every one of those words in forum posts today.

We can start with "Juggs, please stop twerking while wearing your jeggings. You look like a hot mess".

1a1d9729b39ecd8ba718b8d59a2a166bd2b56d213aa8e03f0ea33404e62fa840.jpg

(about using the words, that is. I refuse to stop twerking in my jeggings. It's all about the calorie burn yo.)