To my brethren and sistren* converted from deep and woo

Options

Replies

• prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I may be sounding kinda stupid, but what's "deep" and "woo?" I've seen WOO used a lot. I'm not hip with this lingo.

It's better to keep it that way. You're not missing much and the fact that you don't use these non-words is a good sign. Oh, and the funny thing is that "deep" is misspelled in this thread to begin with.

That's likely due to the OP using a phone with autocorrect. That happens a lot for phone users.

Absolutely the case Wheelhouse! Thank you for your critical thinking
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I also searched the kale thread for the word "suckers". I did get one hit there, but it was YOU who used that word.
    When someone says, "There's one born every minute," do you know the popular phrase they're referring to?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Right now there are threads saying kale is stupid, turmeric is stupid, hot water with lemon is stupid, Walk Away The Pounds is stupid, WW is stupid, it probably goes on and on. I mean, choose not use it, say you don't use it or find benefit, but is it necessary to call it stupid or imply it's stupid to those who do find benefit and use it? No one's saying they are crucial to weight loss or anything. Different things help different people.

Now them's fightin' words!! I'm a huge Leslie fan. I checked out the thread and it really has nothing derogatory in it, so I'm not sure why you gave this as an example.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Right now there are threads saying kale is stupid, turmeric is stupid, hot water with lemon is stupid, Walk Away The Pounds is stupid, WW is stupid, it probably goes on and on. I mean, choose not use it, say you don't use it or find benefit, but is it necessary to call it stupid or imply it's stupid to those who do find benefit and use it? No one's saying they are crucial to weight loss or anything. Different things help different people.

Now them's fightin' words!! I'm a huge Leslie fan. I checked out the thread and it really has nothing derogatory in it, so I'm not sure why you gave this as an example.

*gasp* more dishonesty? I'm shocked!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Actually I believe that it was pointed out that the word stupid did not appear in any of the threads listed, so I'm not sure the relevance of bringing up any of those things.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    In order to further derail this thread, I just noted that @juggernaut1974 is wearing garb from my sister's alma mater in his profile picture. Wonder if he has matching panther jeggings?
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I admit, I had to look up "woo," but I will now use it with abandon. I have little patience for those who believe in garbage they read on the Internet. When a friend posts non-scientific stuff on Facebook, I'm always the first to respond and tell them that it's nonsense.

As long as it's text on a picture, I'm going to believe it. That's how one figures out the truth these days, isn't it? Plain text = questionable. Text over a picture = 100% undeniable truth must reblog immediately
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    [quotesoulofgrace;35357408"]
    I may be sounding kinda stupid, but what's "deep" and "woo?" I've seen WOO used a lot. I'm not hip with this lingo.

It's better to keep it that way. You're not missing much and the fact that you don't use these non-words is a good sign. Oh, and the funny thing is that "deep" is misspelled in this thread to begin with.

Have you read any Shakespeare? It's full of newly coined words. You probably know that. Language evolves whether we like it or not. Best to stay open for the sake of effective communication. I have never spoken the words derp and woo. I am too old and would look foolish. But for the sake of internet communication, its good to stay up on it. Thank you Urban Dictionary."

Comparing deep and woo to Shakespeare. Thank you soulofgrace.

[/quote]

Ha! If Shakespeare were here, he'd be the first to LOL at that! "If you tickle us, do we not LOL?"

Not comparing. Just a great example of the "organic" nature of language. (In Rabbit's words, thanks!) I love how people use and create language to suit them! And, I've got teenagers, so I have to know what they're talking about.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In order to further derail this thread, I just noted that @juggernaut1974 is wearing garb from my sister's alma mater in his profile picture. Wonder if he has matching panther jeggings?

No...but if I find some I promise to post a video of myself wearing them, smoking an e-cig, and singing the Panther fight song while doing kettlebells!

(done!!)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Actually I believe that it was pointed out that the word stupid did not appear in any of the threads listed, so I'm not sure the relevance of bringing up any of those things.
    I thought it was clear I was paraphrasing.

No, the WATP thread isn't that bad. It's just sad that about any thread has someone who posts something irrelevant and unhelpful and potentially insulting, like the comments in that one about how 'pound loss is achieved through diet' (i.e., not walking) and 'why don't people walk outdoors like I do'. And, again, I'm paraphrasing. It wasn't insulting to me but it can be to the people who post the threads.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

No, the WATP thread isn't that bad. It's just sad that about any thread has someone who posts something irrelevant and unhelpful and potentially insulting, like the comments in that one about how 'pound loss is achieved through diet' (i.e., not walking) and 'why don't people walk outdoors like I do'. And, again, I'm paraphrasing. It wasn't insulting to me but it can be to the people who post the threads.

Since you're thinking pointing out a diet practice is stupid is somehow an insult to the person who fell for it, I don't think you're an authority on what is unhelpful and insulting.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

No...but if I find some I promise to post a video of myself wearing them, smoking an e-cig, and singing the Panther fight song while doing kettlebells!

(done!!)

giphy.gif
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Perhaps the OP of this thread is insulted that so many people are offended by her choice of the word "woo".

It seems that you are suggesting that if anyone offers a contrary opinion or poses a question that doesn't completely abide by the tone of the original OP, then they are irrelevant, unhelpful, and potentially insulting?

It really is amazing to me that even the simplest level of polite dissension, or further expansion upon a point, is seen as being unsupportive or something that people might be offended by. It should not amaze me, but it does.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Perhaps the OP of this thread is insulted that so many people are offended by her choice of the word "woo".

It seems that you are suggesting that if anyone offers a contrary opinion or poses a question that doesn't completely abide by the tone of the original OP, then they are irrelevant, unhelpful, and potentially insulting?

It really is amazing to me that even the simplest level of polite dissension, or further expansion upon a point, is seen as being unsupportive or something that people might be offended by. It should not amaze me, but it does.

+1
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

+1000

hpwchh76qe1r.jpg
  • stevencloser
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

+1000

That is insulting to me because I only put +1.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Yes.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    +1001
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    more woo and derp stories. :)
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The saddest woo things to me are people who buy a miracle product and also put in the work to lose weight and then attribute it all to the product.

I have a friend who bought in to Thrive hook line and sinker. She's started going to the gym five days a week and cooking all her meals from scratch, and wonder of wonders, the pounds are coming off... all of which she attributes to the power of a brightly colored bandaid on her arm, not the fact that she's moving more and eating less. And I know her budget is tight, so she's spending money she could really use for, you know, something useful... on stickers. That she's giving credit for her own hard work.

It's depressing.