What about a home gym buy your equipment it does not have to cost a fortune
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    One Smith machine, squat rack, and only one set of each dumbbell weight? This gym sounds horrible. I think that's the base issue for all of this. I'd switch to a different gym. You'll always find jerks but it helps if you have access to more resources.

She said it's a small town gym. I also live in a small town and belong to the gym. We are lucky to have a gym. There's no way our gym owners could purchase multiples of everything and still make a profit. For me, switching gyms would mean driving 20 miles. That's a completely unreasonable choice in my busy life.

I guess I'd just find the path of least resistance then. There are only so many options so pick one that best fits your lifestyle.
    • Stop exercising
    • Change the time you workout again
    • Talk to the equipment hog
    • Ignore the equipment hog and use the equipment anyway
    • Switch to a different gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z33BNjRItRo

Saw that the other day. So funny...

But seriously, have you thought about breaking her legs in the parking lot with a crow bar? :justkiddingmods:

Like someone said, I'd just talk to her...
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - all good suggestions! I actually pay for 2 gym memberships! I go to this small one and when I say small, it is in a town that has 1 stop sign, so yes, I'm lucky to have it. Owners are locals who get the equipment used...they did real good setting it up for us country folks. The other membership is at a place near my work. I do my cardio there and weights closer to my home. I don't do weights at the one near my work because there are a LOT of people there and it's also kind of small. I may say something to the owners. Like today...I used the weights that weren't hogged even though some were lighter than I would use and I wiped them down, put them back on the rack. Thought maybe the girls would get the hint. I might also look at going at a different time. I'll work through it.
    Thanks again!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - all good suggestions! I actually pay for 2 gym memberships! I go to this small one and when I say small, it is in a town that has 1 stop sign, so yes, I'm lucky to have it. Owners are locals who get the equipment used...they did real good setting it up for us country folks. The other membership is at a place near my work. I do my cardio there and weights closer to my home. I don't do weights at the one near my work because there are a LOT of people there and it's also kind of small. I may say something to the owners. Like today...I used the weights that weren't hogged even though some were lighter than I would use and I wiped them down, put them back on the rack. Thought maybe the girls would get the hint. I might also look at going at a different time. I'll work through it.
    Thanks again!

A really good way to make sure she gets the hint is to actually tell her the hint. You don't have to be rude.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks again!

A really good way to make sure she gets the hint is to actually tell her the hint. You don't have to be rude.

Adult conversation. I've heard of this.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't get how she could be hogging all at once? If she is in the squat rack use the smith machine and vise versa? You can always ask to work in too!

When someone has my dumbbells I just go a higher weight with lower reps. Really though, there is no need for her to have more than 2 dumbbells at a time. Just politely say "hey which ones are you using, would you mind if I grab the others that you're not using"?

Edit to add.. be aggressive if they are being stuck up about it.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have worked out in a small gym like that at an office building, but honestly never ran into an equipment hogger. Just found something else to do for a little bit. This woman sounds kind of aggressive for some reason. Good luck trying to get her to be happier.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    This person clearly has ... issues. Is this gym the only one feasible for you to use?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd try and set it up so it's stressing her more than me. Just because I can, I'd vary my start time anywhere from three to four-thirty, no day the same. I'd tell myself I'm ignoring the snark and proceed normally. Ask for hogged weights as needed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's even the problem here? You asked if you could use the weights and she said YES.

The end.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    One Smith machine, squat rack, and only one set of each dumbbell weight? This gym sounds horrible. I think that's the base issue for all of this. I'd switch to a different gym. You'll always find jerks but it helps if you have access to more resources.

She said it's a small town gym. I also live in a small town and belong to the gym. We are lucky to have a gym. There's no way our gym owners could purchase multiples of everything and still make a profit. For me, switching gyms would mean driving 20 miles. That's a completely unreasonable choice in my busy life.

I guess I'd just find the path of least resistance then. There are only so many options so pick one that best fits your lifestyle.
    • Stop exercising
    • Change the time you workout again
    • Talk to the equipment hog
    • Ignore the equipment hog and use the equipment anyway
    • Switch to a different gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z33BNjRItRo

LOL...That's funny!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    People are awful; build a home gym from cheap stuff on Craigslist and never go back.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    She cant use all the weights at the same time. Use the ones that she's not using. When she's done using the ones that you need tell her that you are using. If she is snarky she'll get over it. You have just as much right as she does. Especially if you think she is changing her times to inconvenience you.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I go to a small gym close to my house early in the a.m. to do weights. I get up at 4am. Woman comes in a 5 usually..no big deal. Lately she has been coming at the same time as me and hogs the squat rack and smith machine plus all the heavy dumbbells. So, I said ok, if you're coming at 4, I'll get up at 3. Guess what...she's on to me and comes earlier too. Therefore, I end up stuck using the machines because I can't use the free weights that I want.
    Today she saw me heading to the weight room and was on a slow run behind me to grab her weights to put them on both racks. Feels like high school immaturity all over again.

Today, she brings a friend and she too, takes all the dumbbells. Had them in a pile on a weight bench. She's like a squirrel hoarding nuts. I went over and asked if I could use some and got an ugly look and snarky "ok". I enjoy lifting weights but these women make it hard. I suppose the machines aren't so bad but still. Thinking about getting those Select-tech dumbbells for home so I don't have to deal with the frustration.

What a pain!

If she put all her weights on both racks if she's using the smith machine then go to the squat rack, remove her weight and work in your set. If she gives you the evil glare or starts to run over to stop you I'd politely say "You either use the smith machine or the squat rack. Not both. This is a small gym and it's courtesy for you to allow other patrons to use the equipment too. Oh, I'm also going to need to use XYZ dumbbells that you're currently not using. Thanks!"
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    People are awful; build a home gym from cheap stuff on Craigslist and never go back.

Why are people awful? The OP asked to use the equipment and they said yes.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

Why are people awful? The OP asked to use the equipment and they said yes.

How dare you deprive OP of her rightful victimhood!?!

How very dare you!!

:mad:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hey, dogs and people can recognize a snarl and beware. There's territory at stake here. It's not my hill do die on, but people do stake such things out.

By the way, hubby stakes out parking spots and restaurant line-ups. He'll snarl if someone takes a spot he's lined up. It's not like they can TELL he wanted it, so how can he be mad at them? And watching him run to the restaurant entrance to beat another couple is decidedly embarrassing. Nowadays I check if the parking lot is full and if it is I suggest another restaurant.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hey, dogs and people can recognize a snarl and beware. There's territory at stake here. It's not my hill do die on, but people do stake such things out.

By the way, hubby stakes out parking spots and restaurant line-ups. He'll snarl if someone takes a spot he's lined up. It's not like they can TELL he wanted it, so how can he be mad at them? And watching him run to the restaurant entrance to beat another couple is decidedly embarrassing. Nowadays I check if the parking lot is full and if it is I suggest another restaurant.

And some dogs are threatened by someone wearing a big hat.

I agree with you however, we also tend to misread people a lot as well, particularly if we have certain expectations of how they will react. I've been guilty of it myself. If it were me in that case, I still attempt to talk to her before deciding where it is really a snarl/territory thing or if she is completely oblivious to her behaviour/had a bad day the day she was asked to share.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I so get this. It is happening to me, only there is a group of guys all hogging the equipment doing circuits. I've asked to work in, use equipment, I've told management. I've come in earlier. Nothing has worked. In the last month I'm contemplated leaving my gym. I am going into the gym at 4:30 am tomorrow with the hope that I can get a rack :(

don't give up or give in. Keep going keep requesting she share and keep doing your thing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do you all not make friends with people at the gym??

Even the big huge guys who pull/push HUGE number will let me work in with them if they aren't doing drop sets.