Gym - kind of frustrated

Options

Replies

• KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Do you all not make friends with people at the gym??

Even the big huge guys who pull/push HUGE number will let me work in with them if they aren't doing drop sets.

I'm a very shy, quiet person. I don't talk to the people because they are so focused on their workout they don't want me bothering them. It's my nature and I won't ever change. I'm very self conscious so I'd rather go when nobody is there. Most of my weight lifting time is done at the wee hours of the morning, as I mentioned so I can get done and get to work (have to leave home by 6:30am) so there is never anyone there, except the woman I spoke of.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ask to use the equipment if she is hoarding it; I would walk over to her pile and use what I needed. The worst she can do is hit you...and is she going to do that? Not likely.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't ask to use the equipment if she is hoarding it; I would walk over to her pile and use what I needed. The worst she can do is hit you...and is she going to do that? Not likely.

Haha.

I'd be pretty peeved. I'd probably say something like 'well you're clearly not using this, so don't mind me if I take it'. And just go and take stuff from her pile as you need.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Even the big huge guys who pull/push HUGE number will let me work in with them if they aren't doing drop sets.

Sure but sometimes people view friendliness -- as in "Hi, how are you?" -- as an open invitation to come over and chit chat for 10 minutes and not getting the hint to leave when you start your next set and grunt your responses.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You must be mistaken. Everyone knows that weight lifters are the friendliest, most supportive, best-behaved, and most non-judgmental people in every gym. What are you doing wrong?
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

I'm at the gym between 5 am and 530 am. No, I'm not there to make friends. I'm there for 75 mins grinding it out then I go home and off to work.

There are no women lifting when I lift. I'd like to make friends with women, not men.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

What if she hits you with the weight? LOL
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

The worst offenders for hogging equipment at my gym are the trainers. They gather all the crap they think they might need for an hour with a client. I just go over and tell them I'm going to use something for a few minutes if it's just sitting there.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    curious why this lady is putting dumbbells into the squat rack....can she not use them outside the squat rack...
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I will say that all the posts complaining about the gym make me realize how lucky I am. I love my gym. Occasionally I have to wait for the power rack, but never very wrong and can usually get something done while I wait. Yes, my gym only has one....we are a good group that learned sharing as kids I guess.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I go to a small gym close to my house early in the a.m. to do weights. I get up at 4am. Woman comes in a 5 usually..no big deal. Lately she has been coming at the same time as me and hogs the squat rack and smith machine plus all the heavy dumbbells. So, I said ok, if you're coming at 4, I'll get up at 3. Guess what...she's on to me and comes earlier too. Therefore, I end up stuck using the machines because I can't use the free weights that I want.
    Today she saw me heading to the weight room and was on a slow run behind me to grab her weights to put them on both racks. Feels like high school immaturity all over again.

Today, she brings a friend and she too, takes all the dumbbells. Had them in a pile on a weight bench. She's like a squirrel hoarding nuts. I went over and asked if I could use some and got an ugly look and snarky "ok". I enjoy lifting weights but these women make it hard. I suppose the machines aren't so bad but still. Thinking about getting those Select-tech dumbbells for home so I don't have to deal with the frustration.

What a pain!

What are both racks? She's putting dumbbells on the squat rack and the Smith machine?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

What if she hits you with the weight? LOL

Well now I have a dilemma, b/c I can't hit her back with a weight...she has them ALL.

• time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I have a condition called RBF (Resting B!tch Face) - combined with RGF (Resting Gym Face) this makes me extremely unapproachable at the gym. I do try though.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I go to a small gym close to my house early in the a.m. to do weights. I get up at 4am. Woman comes in a 5 usually..no big deal. Lately she has been coming at the same time as me and hogs the squat rack and smith machine plus all the heavy dumbbells. So, I said ok, if you're coming at 4, I'll get up at 3. Guess what...she's on to me and comes earlier too. Therefore, I end up stuck using the machines because I can't use the free weights that I want.
    Today she saw me heading to the weight room and was on a slow run behind me to grab her weights to put them on both racks. Feels like high school immaturity all over again.

Today, she brings a friend and she too, takes all the dumbbells. Had them in a pile on a weight bench. She's like a squirrel hoarding nuts. I went over and asked if I could use some and got an ugly look and snarky "ok". I enjoy lifting weights but these women make it hard. I suppose the machines aren't so bad but still. Thinking about getting those Select-tech dumbbells for home so I don't have to deal with the frustration.

What a pain!

What are both racks? She's putting dumbbells on the squat rack and the Smith machine?

Curious about this too...
  • KDar1988
    Options

What are both racks? She's putting dumbbells on the squat rack and the Smith machine?[/quote]

No she loads her weights on the smith and squat rack and then puts all the dumbbells in a pile near them.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I have a condition called RBF (Resting B!tch Face) - combined with RGF (Resting Gym Face) this makes me extremely unapproachable at the gym. I do try though.

Now you know to be super friendly when you say "yes" when someone asks to work in or share some equipment with your or else you'll end up in a thread full of people telling someone just to take it from you next time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You must be mistaken. Everyone knows that weight lifters are the friendliest, most supportive, best-behaved, and most non-judgmental people in every gym. What are you doing wrong?

what's even the bad behavior in this thread? woman grabbed a bunch of weights, OP asked to use them, woman said "go right ahead".

what part of this warrants your sarcasm?
  • ndj1979
    Options

No she loads her weights on the smith and squat rack and then puts all the dumbbells in a pile near them.
    [/quote]

How does she use both at same time?????
  • KDar1988
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

How does she use both at same time?????[/quote]

That was my gripe..she can't. Today she put a weight bench in the squat rack so trying to work in means removing her weights and the weight bench. I'll be researching some things I can do. I won't let her get in the way of my success.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

How does she use both at same time?????

That was my gripe..she can't. Today she put a weight bench in the squat rack so trying to work in means removing her weights and the weight bench. I'll be researching some things I can do. I won't let her get in the way of my success.

this is ridiculous. no research required. tell the front desk to ask this chick to stop fluffing off. she's got a bench in a rack with a stack of weights on a smith.....what the hell? if anything in this thread rhymed I'd swear I was reading Dr. Seuss.

she doesn't get 30 pieces of gym equipment. Tell the desk. The end.