Running - Trying to Improve but Frustrated

Options
13»

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I started off running a mile in 14.5 minutes. I've cut that time down significantly and can now run a mile in 10 minutes. Now, I am not a large or really "out of shape" human being, but I do have a terrible foot that I've gotten reconstructive surgery on a few times - so I end up running with a limp halfway through my run (I spend 15-20 minutes running, so 1.5 miles or 2 miles every work out). The only thing I can say is stay dedicated and you will persevere. Increase your speed slightly every day until you are comfortable running at a quicker pace without exerting yourself as much. You can accomplish this! I also found (not sure how valid this is) that as I started weight-lifting my edurance improved and I was less breathless and exhausted at the end of my runs. If it weren't for my foot, I'd easily be able to do a 30-minute, 3-mile run every day.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    People have it pretty well covered. Gradual increase in mileage, once you get to where you are running 4-5 times a week for 30-60 mins then you're in a good position to start looking into more focused training and incorporating some faster work including threshold runs/VO2 work/race pace work.

Your runs right now should not be hard. They should be almost easy enough it feels like you are cheating and aren't getting a workout. Maybe not quite that easy, but definitely wayyy closer to that than "this is tough".

I do recommend after some runs doing short pickups, called strides, that last for about 15-20s and are done at a good pace, in your case probably between 13-16 km/hr. Shouldn't quite be sprinting, but it should be pretty dang fast. If it gets hard to finish after 15s...you're going a little too fast. Walk for 2 minutes or so between each. Purpose of these is just to teach the body how to run faster and develop efficient form running faster without stressing your body with 'hard' running.

The other thing that is good to do is on days you're feeling really good, start to push the pace down the last 5 minutes, you can get really cranking in the last 2-3 minutes, as long as you don't go so hard you're rigging up. In your case, this would probably mean working from 7kph -> 10kph, and then in the last minute or two maybe even getting into the 11-12 kph range.

As far as 5k time goes, just getting down to something like 170lbs will have you running 5k in around 25 minutes, and with good training that will improve. You've already got some okay fitness, the weight just blocks that from showing through when it comes to running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    ... and live in England, so lets face it the weather isn't the best ...

You're in Brum... In November and December I was doing a lot of outside running in the area, nothing wrong with the weather.

But to weigh in alongside the others; more long slow miles, and try new shoes. I note you mention what sounds like overpronation, I have similar and for road running rely on motion control shoes.

I started half marathon training in jan, it's rained on about 10 of my last 15 runs... but as someone said to me, there's no such thing as bad weather to run in, just bad clothing.

OP could you find a physio to see your knee, some simple strengthening exercises might be all you need?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you are overweight and running to lose the pounds, you will find yourself getting quicker without too much trouble.

At this stage you dont need to consider speed training as it is your weight which is holding you back, not your natural potential ability. A keen club runner will tell you that a mix of different runs is important - speed training, tempo runs, long slow runs, etc - they are all just as important to improve running ability.

If you are overweight then you will burn much more calories and therefore get quicker by doing middle to long distance runs. For example, running 10k will lose you somewhere between 700-800 calories. A speed training interval session where you run not even half of that distance of that distance might lose you 300. To me that just makes much more sense.

You do need to start running in the road though as treadmills do some of the leg work for you, so no way as effective....