Options
Am i alone in the fact if it was up to me id only eat once a day
Its a real struggle doing the 3 meals and 3 snacks a day thing

Replies

• elenab386
    elenab386 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I had that struggle before, I thought that eating once a day is perfect no time to lose on preparing all 3 meals. However, a almost a year ago I started eating more often with less portions and it really boosts up your metabolism. Im guessing you are a busy person. If you can't do the snacks, at least do the 2 meals a day or if that doesn't work try having one big meal and some snacks throughout the day?
    Would that work for you?
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how or when you eat your calories so if you want one meal then as long as you are having your mfp calories then go for it.
  • kelly_trixie
    kelly_trixie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Problem being if you only eat once a day your body goes into starvation mode you have to eat at least 3 meals a day to boost metabolism and keep body from retaining all the calories from the one meal
  • kelly_trixie
    Options
    Yea am struggling really hard but ive managed for past three days to at least eat a yogurt for breakfest and something small for lunch its just i feel puky after i eat i know its prob just because am so use to not eating much but its honestly driving me nuts being puky when am trying to do what i need to thru the day
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Problem being if you only eat once a day your body goes into starvation mode you have to eat at least 3 meals a day to boost metabolism and keep body from retaining all the calories from the one meal
    This isn't true.

If you just want to eat once a day, then feel free to eat all of your calories in one meal. That's called 23:1 and many people lose weight doing that. The important part is to eat fewer calories than your body uses during the day.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Nope so not true.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others. You can eat one big meal if that is your preference. Provided you have no medical reason like diabetes. My husband tends to do that. Personally, that would make my tummy hurt, but as long as you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight.

I don't do snacks unless I'm starving. It's too much effort to make healthy choices 6 times a day when if I just eat meals I only have to choose well 3 times. lol.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

^^NO.

It does not matter when the calories are consumed. If it works for you that is all that matters.
    Many people find it works well to have a few small meals and snacks throughout the day, but it really is a personal preference.

Starvation mode is a myth.

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yeah, look into Intermittent Fasting (this group might be helpful for you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting) as it seems to be a familiar way of eating for you. As long as you're sticking to your calorie goals, it doesn't matter when you have those calories. I get most of my calories from one large meal a day and maybe a couple of snacks, because that's what suits my lifestyle and makes me feel satiated. Good luck!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Op, your making this harder then it has to be. Remember this -
    Weight loss comes down to calories. Meal timing is irrelevant.
    If I ate 1500 cals at one or if I ate 5 small 300 cal meals, it would be the same as far as weight loss is concerned.
    Your mention of starvation mode is myth in the context of this thread. It just doesn't happen like that.
    For weight loss all you need is a calorie deficit. Get yourself a food scale and learn how to weigh all your foods and measure your liquids. Learn how to log them accurately here on mfp.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    My husband has eaten once a day or 30 years - he is muscular and not over weight. Its not unhealthy and current research is showing that giving your body a break from digestion is a very good thing.
  • BenOsen3
    BenOsen3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you can't/don't want to do that 3 meals with 3 snack thing, don't. That's BroScience. I did that when I was in my 20's and could eat like a horse. Can't do that now nor do I have any interest in doing so.
  • kelly_trixie
    Options
    Really ? I was just going onnwhat the doctor had mentioned a year or so but if its a myth thank bob i am really not fond of eating all day long its just not something i enjoy id prefer to just eat my dinner and be done with it
    I usually have a chicken breast and a 1/3 cup of rice or noodles is that ok to do ?
  • seska422
    Options
    Really ? I was just going onnwhat the doctor had mentioned a year or so but if its a myth thank bob i am really not fond of eating all day long its just not something i enjoy id prefer to just eat my dinner and be done with it
    I usually have a chicken breast and a 1/3 cup of rice or noodles is that ok to do ?
    Eat at least 1200 calories per day no matter when you eat those calories during the day. Do your best to have a balanced diet and be sure to get enough protein and fat.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

Are you saying that that is all you eat all day?
    If so, it is too little calories for a whole day.

• kelly_trixie
    Options
    Yes thats usually the extend of it i dont eat much at all when am not forcing myself to eat the three small meals, am still nowhere near 1200 calories a day usually i have about 600 calories left after the 6 small meals deal
  • seska422
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes thats usually the extend of it i dont eat much at all when am not forcing myself to eat the three small meals, am still nowhere near 1200 calories a day usually i have about 600 calories left after the 6 small meals deal
    You need to eat at least 1200 calories.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your goals? Current Weight or BMI? Its okay to only eat once a day, if you are eating enough. It doesn't sound like you are and that is unhealthy.
  • kelly_trixie
    Options
    As weird as it is ive always eaten like this but i was also drinking pop 24/7 til past month so i would assume thats where all the weight gain initially started
    I cant even blame it on fast food because we dont eat anything that we ourselves dont prepare
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Have you always only liked eating one meal per day? If you are trying to lose weight, did you switch to eating only one to thinking it would help you lose? It would be hard to get overweight eating only one meal per day. Hopefully you're doing this because you really only like eating once and not because your afraid of eating more frequently or something. It sounds like you're way under calories. Eating a chicken breast and 1/3 cup of noodles can't be much more than 500 calories. That's not sustainable.