anyone else have issues eating more then once a day

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Problem being if you only eat once a day your body goes into starvation mode you have to eat at least 3 meals a day to boost metabolism and keep body from retaining all the calories from the one meal

This is absolutely untrue.

And considering that I was overweight (and still am, technically, though significantly less fat than I was when I started), I never had trouble eating more than once a day. I still don't have that problem. As a matter of fact, given the chance, I could eat all day. Which is why I started counting calories to begin with.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yes thats usually the extend of it i dont eat much at all when am not forcing myself to eat the three small meals, am still nowhere near 1200 calories a day usually i have about 600 calories left after the 6 small meals deal

What is your current height and weight, and how much weight are you looking to lose?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Is there a health care professional involved and monitoring your food consumption?
    If not, you need to see one to access your health.
    You are eating too little and you need to seek professional help.
  • kelly_trixie
    kelly_trixie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nope always only eaten once a day since i was a young girl
    I wake up feeling nauseas everyday so i always skipped breakfest by lunch i was just to busy to eat so i always just ate dinner and was content with that
    When i was hospitalized last year my doctor had said i was malnourished that i wasent eating enough and my body was in starvation mode hence the weight gain but now am confused because yall are saying theres no such thing so idk what to do lol
  • kelly_trixie
    Options
    Am looking to drop back down to below 200 i was only 140 til i had my oldest son after i had him i just progressively got bigger and bigger plus two more pregnancys and other health problems that required me to be less active am very short am only 4'11 so my weight is difficult to handle and its mostly in my belly
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I agree with snowflake930 that it's time to see a professional to discuss your food consumption.
  • snowflake930
    Options
    You probably are malnourished if that is all you are eating all day. It is impossible to get all the daily nutrients your body requires from that little food.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I agree with snowflake930 that it's time to see a professional to discuss your food consumption.
    Is there a health care professional involved and monitoring your food consumption?
    If not, you need to see one to access your health.
    You are eating too little and you need to seek professional help.

+1
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I wake up feeling nauseas everyday so i always skipped breakfest by lunch i was just to busy to eat so i always just ate dinner and was content with that
    When i was hospitalized last year my doctor had said i was malnourished that i wasent eating enough and my body was in starvation mode hence the weight gain but now am confused because yall are saying theres no such thing so idk what to do lol

Yes, this is why we see all of those morbidly obese starving African children.

:worried:
  • kelly_trixie
    Options
    I was tracking my food for awhile there for the doctors benefit and all he had to say was eat more & work out nothing else but hes also always on me about my weight everything i go in for even a asthma inhaler refill is a lecture about weight
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    The symptoms of so many illnesses can be relieved simply by losing weight. Asthma is no exception. This is the reason why doctors stress weight loss first to their overweight patients who are struggling with illness.

Sadly, many doctors understand that health is strongly tied to weight, but are lacking sufficient knowledge in nutrition. Starvation mode in the sense that your doctor is talking about it does not exist. How are you tracking your food intake? Do you have a food scale? Do you weigh/measure everything from condiments to coffee creamer to fruits and veggies?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat once a day, eat once a day. Just log and weigh your food. Google "Intermittent Fasting."
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    As weird as it is ive always eaten like this but i was also drinking pop 24/7 til past month so i would assume thats where all the weight gain initially started
    I cant even blame it on fast food because we dont eat anything that we ourselves dont prepare

If it was calories from your pop that made up half your intake, and you have recently quit drinking pop, I would imagine that you are going to start feeling hungrier very soon. Do you like fruits and veggies?

• kelly_trixie
    Options
    Yes i weigh/measure everything i eat besides my water intake which i just drink out of a jug
    My doctors only real advise has been eat more and exercise more frequently
    I have told him of my small appetite and feel ill from eating to much or as frequent as hed like me too he just kinda shrugs it off
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was tracking my food for awhile there for the doctors benefit and all he had to say was eat more & work out nothing else but hes also always on me about my weight everything i go in for even a asthma inhaler refill is a lecture about weight

Did that include your soda? What was the total amount of calories?

Where are you located OP? What kind of doctor is this? I recommend a second opinion from another doctor and someone who has specific training like a registered dietitian.
  • snowflake930
    Options
    I think you need to find another doctor.
    If you are carrying all of your weight in your abdomen, and not losing eating only a chicken breast and rice everyday, there could be a serious issue.
    Make sure your health care professional knows how little you are eating.
  • kelly_trixie
    Options
    Yes i was recording the pop as well back then id say i was prob getting about 500-600 calories from cola alone then either not eating or eating like a bird
    But yes hes just a primary care physician i have asked for referral to a nutritionist to maybe give me a better answer to how and what exactly can i eat that will help with weight loss and maybe my small appetite
  • tbirk
    tbirk Posts: 25 Member
    Options

^^ It's not the one meal a day that's causing starvation mode, it's the too few calories. Starvation mode is a real thing; that's why other posters are recommending that you have a minimum goal of 1200 calories a day. It does sound like you have more going on health-wise, so keep talking to your doctor. The forums here can only help so much -- most of us are not dietitians or nutritionists. Being healthy is an equally if not more important goal than weightloss. Properly nourishing your body will make you feel better, and then the weightloss will come more naturally and easily.

Best of luck with your health journey. Take care.
  • snowflake930
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Because of your young age, there could be an issue going on that your physician is not considering. Tell him/her how few calories you are eating, and ask why you are not losing.
    Serious health issues need to be ruled out.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    You should see a registered dietitian, not a nutritionist.