Starting to run - C25k

Options
Despite running cross country many moons ago in high school, I've never liked running long distance. But I do notice that over any other type of workout (and I do a variety...boxing, Zumba, Pilates, body pump, etc.), when I run I lose quicker. Even if it's not reflected on the scale, it'll show in inches! So I always say I'm going to start c25k to get back into running, and I'll do about a week and then my feet start hurting, I can't get my breathing down, or any other excuse....and I quit!

But I'm so ready to lose this weight that I'm ready to give it a go again. I started on Tuesday and OMG, you would think that I hadn't worked out in ages by how sore I am today. The good thing since I have been working out consistently since last year, I was able to complete the running with no problem (breathing under control!). Dare I say it was easy! Lol....I might even go as far to say I enjoyed it in the moment. My feet and shins didn't hurt...guess these shoes were a good investment ;)

I'm still planning to keep doing all the other workouts that I've been doing and just add in running in the AM 3 days a week. If you're doing c25k....friend me, I might need a little accountability when the going gets tough!

Replies

• treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've just started back up too! Today I did W1D2. I've never run in the winter before so I'm hoping it won't be too tough, but it's definitely hard to get motivated to get outside on cold and windy days.
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've always done it on a treadmill....a friend of mine who runs marathons says I should run outside it'll be easier. Lol I've got bad memories of running in the cold and feeling like my chest was gonna explode. Maybe I'll try when it gets warmer.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Keep it up, guys! You'll feel absolutely amazing when you finally do a full 5k!
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just did W1R3 today. I normally run outside but today I ran on a treadmill due to bad weather. This is my second time doing C25K. I finished it a few years back. I have been walking every other day this week. Next week I am starting weight training with a trainer and I am going to complete the C25K on every other day. I would friend you but I don't know how to. I have friended people before but the option seems to be missing. Please feel free to friend me if you want.
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    I planned to do W1D2 this AM, but my body is still supe sore! I didn't run yesterday but I did my usual Zumba and body pump class, so I think that just added to the soreness that was still lingering from the run on Tuesday.

I might try to complete the run during my lunch break today...we'll see how I feel. One of my friends suggested I just rest today, but I just started so I don't want to deter from the plan this early in the game. Even though I was super sore yesterday I pushed through and did my normal workouts....it was rough to start but once I got warmed up it wasn't so bad. So I'm hoping I can do the same today.
  • megbee617
    megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey! Another C25K-er!

I'm a little ahead of you and I'm on W3D2. I'll send you a friend request!!
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Ugh...so I definitely spoke to soon. I was feeling motivated by posts on MFP so decided to go for it and run on lunch break. My feet/calves hurt so bad....I couldn't make it I ended up walking for like 80% of it and even that was a little uncomfortable when I tried to walk faster. I didn't run yesterday so I did have a day of rest from running, but I did workout hard, so maybe I need a true day of rest. I was hoping to add this into my workouts not substitute it for something else.

For those of you who are doing it...are you doing anything else as well? Or just c25k? Endurance wise I was fine and was ready to go...but my calves said absolutely not. This is usually why I don't stick with it...open to any suggestions.

Maybe I should just run maybe once a week until my calves/feet are accustomed to it? I'm pretty sore so I think I'm going to skip boxing tonight and have a true rest day.

Plan to do Pilates and Zumba tomorrow....maybe I'll skip Zumba and try the run again.

To not be completely negative...working out over lunch was doable!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Try to do some calf raises, something in the order of 3x30 like three times per day until your calves get some strength in them. You're likely not strong enough to run yet.
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Yea I've been meaning to add that in, someone told me that would help my feet be more comfortable in heels again. Machine has been broken lately at the gym.

Not gonna quit...day 1 was easy and it felt good, so I know I CAN run but maybe not as much or as often as I'd like just yet until I get better calf strength.
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    You don't need a machine to do calf raises. You just have to lift your heels off the ground over, and over again. :)
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Lol very true. I was wanting to do weighted calf raises....but I could definitely do non weighted anytime!
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    Lol very true. I was wanting to do weighted calf raises....but I could definitely do non weighted anytime!

You could put a backpack on, and get the weighted effect. Honestly, if your calves aren't strong enough to jog just yet, then you shouldn't be worried about adding more than your body weight to them until they gain strength.

You also could set your heels of the back of a step to increase the range of motion.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Or just pick something up and get your heels off the ground. ;-)

• 777cbr
    777cbr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion as someone who runs a lot is that it is better not to take days off even if sore. If you are sore go for a shorter time frame/slower pace (really slow) there is a lot to be said about active recovery and getting the blood moving to help heal damage done by harder workout days. It has always worked for me.
  • peachyfuzzle
    Options
    777cbr wrote: »
    My personal opinion as someone who runs a lot is that it is better not to take days off even if sore. If you are sore go for a shorter time frame/slower pace (really slow) there is a lot to be said about active recovery and getting the blood moving to help heal damage done by harder workout days. It has always worked for me.

I'd say that this depends on if it is muscle, or tendon soreness. Muscle soreness is probably fine to go light exercise on, but I'd hazard against any true exercise for a couple of days if it has to do with the tendon running up the back of the legs to the calves (achilles).

Tendon pain in the calf is generally pretty easy to spot since it should be quite sharp, and sit directly in the middle-bottom of the calf muscles whereas calf muscle pain is more of an ache out to one side, or the other.
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    I'm typically firmly in the same camp as @777cbr that when starting any new workout program yes you'll be sore but that you should push through that sooner rather than later. I've always found that if you don't workout the next day you'll be even more sore than you were the day before. The best medicine is always to keep moving - at least in my experience!

That's why even though I was sore yesterday from the run on Tuesday I went ahead and did my normal non-run workout. After the initial warmup I was fine! So even though I was sore still today I wanted to stick to schedule and run today.

Other than working on strengthening my calf muscles, I think the next time I'm going to do warm-up a little on the elliptical first to get loose then go to the c25k workout. Maybe the 5 minute warm-up included isn't enough to get loose.
  • vmsolko
    vmsolko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up week 6 myself. I did it for the first time last spring, and completed my first 5k in May. It was great. I learned to like running and incorporated it into my workout routines about twice a week. But since I live in Iowa and there is snow everywhere, I stopped in November. We got a treadmill last month so I started up again. Believe me, it's like I had never ever run before! And I had been doing consistent other workouts 5-6 days a week. I find that if I forget to do thorough stretching/warm-up before I start, I really pay for it during the run itself.
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've started this too! Did week 2 day 2 tonight. I have never done running or jogging before in my life (I hated sports at school!), so I am a complete newbie to it. Feel free to add me if you like, I'm not sure how to do it but it's nice to meet others in the same boat :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    nice to meet others in the same boat :)

that would be me. never have run, but for some reason it's become an intriguing idea since i started lifting a few years ago.

i'm making no promises and setting no expectations on myself because i like setting arbitrary specific goals and just seeing what they lead to if i put my head down and just finish them. so all i'm gonna say is i plan to complete c25k. which means going out and doing 30 minutes of walk/jog/running, 27 individual separate times.

first one done. not too bad, apart from tibialis anterior tightness i should have foreseen.
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1. I always hating running. I'm mostly doing it on a treadmill due to the snow currently.