Starting to run - C25k

Options

Replies

• MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you haven't run before, or its been a long time, I would recommend doing the program as designed and not run in between. Once you have built up some miles per week, running more often or more miles will be easier on the body, in my opinion.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, there are podcasts out there that help a lot with pacing, motivation, and such. I prefer Robert Ullrey's: http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So I laid off running the rest of last week and stuck with my normal workout routine, and decided to give it a go again today.

It definitely wasn't as bad as the second time, but not as easy and enjoyable as the first. My calf muscles were killing me, but I managed to complete it with skipping 2 of the running sections and just walking instead.

I'm going to check back because I swear I did Zumba the day before I ran for the first time, but maybe I didn't. I find Zumba really works the calves so I maybe I should try running on days where it's not after Zumba (I did Zumba last night).

Still committed though....but it's definitely gonna take me longer than scheduled to finish the program.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm a c25ker too! I did it a few years back and lost like 20 lbs and then got lazy and had no long-term running goals. This time is different. I started back in November but had several weeks of cold and flu- but that didn't stop me from picking up where I left off. I've repeated weeks and it's going sooo much slower than the last time I did it (which was a true 8 week period). But, I'm running 3-4 times a week, ran/walked a virtual 5k and have another virtual 5k this week (which I will run/walk again). My goal this time is to not just "run 30 minutes straight/run 5k) but to keep going and train for more races and push myself to 10k and half-marathon training after.

I LOVE the chubby jones c25k podcasts. And as oocdc2 said- there are lots of podcasts out there for motivation. Keep at it and remember it's not a race (yet!) and that it' okay to repeat weeks. Also, check out virtual racing. Another great motivator (and you don't have to run the whole thing, running/walking is fine!).
  • AmberNLettau
    AmberNLettau Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just did W1R1! I am so excited. I thought for sure I would not be able to even run the 60 sec interval but BAM! I did it. FRIEND ME! I love to be motivated by others but also be a motivation to others. Here's to the first week. :wink:
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Had a breakthrough this AM!! I did W1D3 today and it was easy again...yes!!!!!!!! I was actually surprised when it ended...I could have run more intervals. I added a bit of an incline, and I was able to run at a quicker pace than I have before. I think I could have run at an even faster pace, but decided to take it easy so I wouldn't overdo it.

I did my usual Pilates class yesterday, but skipped the cardio class I normally do as well...so maybe I need to rearrange my workout schedule so that I don't do too heavy of a cardio workout the day before I want to run (at least until my calves get better acclimated to running).

I'm gonna go to W2D1 workout on the next run and hopefully I can progress. But if I start experiencing the pain in the calves I'll go back and repeat W1.
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I completed it last year and then got busy and completely stopped running. After starting over, I just finished week 6 day 3 yesterday. I either run outside when its nice, or inside on a track when its winter (North Dakota) because I have never liked running on a treadmill. I think its because i prefer to speed up or slow down when I want/need without pushing buttons.
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have just started it also. I used to be a runner, so starting over. I am on my second week. Everyone feel free to send me a friends request. I need all the support I can get to get back into my running routine.
  • wi_maint_man
    wi_maint_man Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was into running as a younger person. Last year after 20 years of not running and 2 false starts , I finally had worked up to 2 miles a day, Mon - Fri on the treadmill. Then I tore a ligament in my ankle when I tripped and fell down the stairs at home. That was about a yer ago, I am now doing intervals of walking and running 1min walk 1 min run, for 20 minutes. I really want to run in a 5k this year ! Running seems to be a good fat burner for me .
  • nikkisha100
    nikkisha100 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Did w4d1 yesterday and was intimidated by the 5min jog. It felt so good to complete it, but not looking forward to the pain of it again. I have a feeling I may need to stick to w4 workout a little longer than the previous weeks. Has anyone else done this (stick to the same workout until you feel like you conquered it) or just keep moving to the next week according to plan?
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No shame in repeating a day/week if needed, your still lapping the people sitting on the couch watching tv. FWIW, the best advice I was ever given when going through the first time was to never look at the timer.
  • amysmartin
    amysmartin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of week 3, I'll add you!
  • Ladybird1103
    Ladybird1103 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1. I use the treadmill. For other treadmill users, what pace are you running/walking? I'm short and out of shape, using 5.1 for my jogging and 3.5 for walking. Curious what others do!
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    I finished W2D1 yesterday.....it wasn't too bad, but I did have to skip one of the running segments since my calves were aching! Even though I skipped one segment I think I'll stick to week 2 versus going back to week 1. I'll see how the rest of week 2 goes, and if I have to I'll repeat it.

I'm doing the treadmill and I'm also short...my walk is at 3.0 and run is at 4.5. For the past couple of runs I have been adding an incline for some segments anywhere between level 3-6 (relieves some pain in calves...seems counterintuitive but hey whatever works lol)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1. I use the treadmill. For other treadmill users, what pace are you running/walking? I'm short and out of shape, using 5.1 for my jogging and 3.5 for walking. Curious what others do!

I'm tall, but I have short legs (6'1" with 30" inseam, lol). I walk at 3.5mph, and jog at 5.5mph currently.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I plan to start C25K as soon as this cold leaves me. I had planned to start yesterday. I've never run before. You might think I'm an "old lady" at 60 so add me if you want to.
    SW 301
    Cw169
    GW 150
    20 months
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I just started the Zombies Run 5K Training app, and did the first exercise yesterday. I have never run before. I walk on the treadmill at 3.0 mph (and it took a while to build up to that!) and run jog at 4.0.
  • motivatedsister
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I finished week 2 day 2 today....I had to skip one of the running segments again. Same issues...calves hurt. I definitely think I'll be repeating week 2. But still sticking with it!
  • christyg74
    christyg74 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just started C25k at the end of January. I am very slow still repeating week 3. But, have you tried compression leg sleeves? They have saved me, oh and really good running shoes- I got Hoka One One shoes. Awesome!
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    No, never tried compression leg sleeves. Lol excuse my ignorance, but why might that help? I don't think it's the shoes as on my initial day 1 (or maybe day 2, can't remember) I ran and it was great. No pain! I've noticed that if I do some cardio that is heavy on calves (I.e. Like Zumba and being essentially on th balls of your feet the entire hour) that if I try to run the next day it's pretty painful. If I rest, like practically do nothing then I'm ok. It's a little frustrating because I want to add running into my routine not just solely run. That's why I've resulted to running probably max 2 times a week or maybe just once.

I've been working on doing calf raises as someone suggested to strengthen my calf muscles, because I really think this might be a huge part of the problem. Also my calf muscles are super tight....any good stretches?

But if I could figure out a way how I can run every other day for the 3 days c25k has I would be ecstatic!