No wonder people are confused about the causes of obesity......

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    This list almost reads like something from The Onion. I thought it was satire at first.

So Much This.

There were things on that list that I don't even know what they mean..... Areca Nut Chewing? I'm scared to google that on my work computer.

They don't monitor us, and we have great antivirus so....

Not nearly as interesting as I was hoping, but it has obesity written all over it:

The chewing of betel nut quids dates to antiquity. In the 1st century AD, Sanskrit medical writings claimed that betel nut possessed 13 qualities found in the region of heaven. It is pungent, bitter, spicy, sweet, salty, and astringent. It was said to expel wind, kill worms, remove phlegm, subdue bad odors, beautify the mouth, induce purification, and kindle passion. Because of its CNS stimulating effects, betel nut is used in a manner similar to the western use of tobacco or caffeine. Arecoline is responsible for some of the effects of betel quid chewing, such as alertness, increased stamina, a sense of well-being, euphoria, and salivation. Chewing the nut stimulates the flow of saliva to aid digestion. Betel nut also has been used to stimulate the appetite.
    Miscellaneous uses

Betel nut's medical use is limited, and long-term negative reactions to betel quid chewing are well known. A decrease in positive symptoms among men with schizophrenia was attributed to betel nut consumption.

That is so strange, because just the other day I was wishing I had something that I could chew that would expel wind, kill worms, remove phlegm, subdue bad odors, beautify my mouth, induce purification and kindle passion. I mean, aren't those on everyone's Top 10 list of things that they need to address?

Man I am so glad someone posted this thread.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    This list almost reads like something from The Onion. I thought it was satire at first.

So Much This.

There were things on that list that I don't even know what they mean..... Areca Nut Chewing? I'm scared to google that on my work computer.

Not nearly as interesting as I was hoping, but it has obesity written all over it:

The chewing of betel nut quids dates to antiquity. In the 1st century AD, Sanskrit medical writings claimed that betel nut possessed 13 qualities found in the region of heaven. It is pungent, bitter, spicy, sweet, salty, and astringent. It was said to expel wind, kill worms, remove phlegm, subdue bad odors, beautify the mouth, induce purification, and kindle passion. Because of its CNS stimulating effects, betel nut is used in a manner similar to the western use of tobacco or caffeine. Arecoline is responsible for some of the effects of betel quid chewing, such as alertness, increased stamina, a sense of well-being, euphoria, and salivation. Chewing the nut stimulates the flow of saliva to aid digestion. Betel nut also has been used to stimulate the appetite.
    Miscellaneous uses

Betel nut's medical use is limited, and long-term negative reactions to betel quid chewing are well known. A decrease in positive symptoms among men with schizophrenia was attributed to betel nut consumption.

That is so strange, because just the other day I was wishing I had something that I could chew that would expel wind, kill worms, remove phlegm, subdue bad odors, beautify my mouth, induce purification and kindle passion. I mean, aren't those on everyone's Top 10 list of things that they need to address?

Oh, the google also says it can cause cancer. So you may want to weigh your options.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

So Much This.

Miscellaneous uses

I also feel good about my nuts being found in the region of heaven, but as quiet a few MFP threads have stated, it doesn't help with weight loss.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

So Much This.

Miscellaneous uses

Oh, the google also says it can cause cancer. So you may want to weigh your options.

Well and obesity, obviously, so yeah, better make a pro-con list. I don't know. I really hate worms.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    My cat ate my homework!
    (Was that the right answer??)

No, it's the dog. Cats are way too picky for paper.

Not my cat. He loooooves paper. The other one likes plastic. Now if I could get one to devour glass I'd have no need to recycle...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    My cat ate my homework!

Not my cat. He loooooves paper. The other one likes plastic. Now if I could get one to devour glass I'd have no need to recycle...

I've got that one covered if it's OK that the only glass he eats is little Christmas lights (grey cat on the left). He's really more into toilet and tissue paper.

The reddish girl on the right chews anything with a pointy, rigid corner. Usually she sticks to card stock and photos, but she's also done a number on several wood tables.

The dog chews food and his toys. That's it.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    Aliens. Aliens made me fat. Clearly it's not my fault.

It was Obama for me.

THANKS OBAMA.

Good point. I'm the heaviest I've ever been. THANKS OBAMA.
    Been living well and happy since Obama took office. I am my heaviest, but that will soon end with this next regime!!!!

I am imagining a dystopian future of politicians, instead of asking if you are better off now than you were 4 years ago, asking if you weigh more / weigh less now than you did four years ago. >:)

stealthq wrote: »
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    My cat ate my homework!

I've got that one covered if it's OK that the only glass he eats is little Christmas lights (grey cat on the left). He's really more into toilet and tissue paper.

The reddish girl on the right chews anything with a pointy, rigid corner. Usually she sticks to card stock and photos, but she's also done a number on several wood tables.

The dog chews food and his toys. That's it.

You guys are alerting me to the next fad diet I'm going to promote: eat paper, chew dog toys, and lose weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My cat ate my homework!

@Ninkyou
    This isn't true. My cat will shred paper. He doesn't eat it, but he will look right at me, rip a corner of paper from something and spit it out. He shredded a speeding ticket (alleged speeding ticket) and his vaccination records, and my homework. He's a jerk

OP, I haven't read all the comments yet, but there is a lot of misinformation out there and it confuses people. In the end taking responsibility to educate oneself on diet, nutrition, and exercise will go a long way. It's much easier to blame everyone and everything else than it is to admit that you screwed up and ate too much for too many years.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I think the modern-day version of that kind of extreme wizardry is the keto diet.

:trollface:
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I don't see researching various factors promoting obesity to be somehow negating personal responsibility.

I think of it like someone who has a biological factor that predisposes them towards something like violence or alcoholism. It certainly sucks if you have it, and it means you need to work harder to control your actions, but you still have a responsibility to either control yourself or suffer the consequences.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I don't see researching various factors promoting obesity to be somehow negating personal responsibility.

I think of it like someone who has a biological factor that predisposes them towards something like violence or alcoholism. It certainly sucks if you have it, and it means you need to work harder to control your actions, but you still have a responsibility to either control yourself or suffer the consequences.

This was pretty much exactly what I was thinking. And for many people, understanding why they have to work harder than others can help motivate them.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

This was pretty much exactly what I was thinking. And for many people, understanding why they have to work harder than others can help motivate them.

I think that would be fine if the list were shorter and culled appropriately. As it is now, it looks like they included any write in response that people submitted.

Survey Question: in the last year, what factors contributed to your weight gain
    Multiple Choice Selections:
    A. Overeating
    B. Depression
    C. Less Exercise
    D. Stress
    E. Medications
    Other (please complete)__living with grandparents in China

Because they included any random thing people wrote in, it's too long and now looks like a Buzzfeed article...

• perdygreeneyes
    perdygreeneyes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Aliens. Aliens made me fat. Clearly it's not my fault.

It was Obama for me.

THANKS OBAMA.

LOL!!!!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Lord007 wrote: »
    I know that list is in alphabetical order.. but really "Overeating" is buried in the middle???
    And How is "Living with grandparents in China" relevant and on the list???????????

Oops. There it is. The only direct cause of overfat. Everything else on the list *can* cause overeating. But they are not direct causes. In fact, many things (external stressors, mental health, etc) often lead to loss of appetite/undereating.

Not to be flippant, but as an obesity researcher, we are interested in "why" people are overeating.

And as obesity "researchers" they should understand the basic difference between correlation and causation, which appears not to be the case here.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I think the problem with the article is that it doesn't really make any distinction of level of evidence we have to support these as contributing factors, I would guess that many of these things are correlations that were found and any evidence of causality is weak at best. Many of these factors may also have fairly small effects, when a few will be the main factors contributing to obesity. So, like you said, very hard to contextualize and potentially adding more noise, which is already a big problem for people trying to take control of their weight.

Agreed. Confusing correlation and causation is a frequent occurrence when addressing weight loss issues.

Only just spotted this. Apologies for repeating that basic point. :)
  • L1p0
    L1p0 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In my case, I was eating food like substances, more than eating real food. Stopped eating processed junk, and Bob's your uncle.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Good point....
    senecarr wrote: »
    I'd say most of the research listed probably isn't about denying calories in, calories out. Rather, it is about teasing out the questions and conditions past that, sociologically and psychologically.
    Why am I overweight? Obviously, I ate more than my body needed.
    Why did I eat more than I needed? I ate a lot, and moved little.
    Why did I eat a lot? Well when I spent days eating only high fructose corn syrup, it didn't satisfy that much.
    Why did I move little? Well, it was a lot nicer in the house with air condition than outside, especially since I just got fat guzzling that corn syrup and I sweat more now if I'm not under the air conditioning.
    etc...

I'm doubtful we'll ever voluntarily have every overweight person go through logging their food as a way to reduce obesity, so there is something useful in knowing what influences weight on a the large scale and that society could look at changing those influences.

From a psychological point of view we can take this further. Several (not all!) of the things listed relate to trauma and possible abuse to a person. When someone has suffered trauma or abuse they might deal with the emotional issues through food. (And by trauma or abuse we might just be talking about everyday issues like a relationship breakdown or grief.)

For example a child who is not held or valued may turn to food for comfort. A child who grew up in a family struggling financially may have a fear of going without which could cause overeating issues around food as an adult. Even stress can cause disease (dis-ease) in the body which will cause too much adrenalin and cortisol to be present in the body which canl lead to weight gain and diabetes.

So yes whilst I agree the title of the article is not wholly appropriate, there is something to what they claim. Yes calories in v's calories out makes perfect sense, but what the article is trying to highlight (i.m.o) is that humans are very complex beings and all number of things can lead to an unhealthy relationship with food. Fix the emotional and physical issues and the relationship with food hopefully improves.

I do agree that some of the things on the list are a bit odd mind you!

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm not confused. I've seen articles about most of these factors. They are researching factors that may increase obesity across the entire population.

So, no, you aren't fat because you don't have sidewalks and shops you can walk to, but that doesn't mean that the local population of such an area aren't on the balance fatter than the local population of an area that does have those things.

And, no, you aren't fat because you are a child in a single parent household, but it may well be that overall children in single parent households eat more fast food and convenience food than children in two parent households and are as a group fatter.

The gut bacteria change due to increased exposure to antibiotics is most interesting to me. Even if you avoid taking them unnecessarily they are fed to most meat animals. One of the reasons they feed meat animals a lot of antibiotics is to promote an increase in size.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Wow this list is ridiculous.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

I think that would be fine if the list were shorter and culled appropriately. As it is now, it looks like they included any write in response that people submitted.

Survey Question: in the last year, what factors contributed to your weight gain
    Multiple Choice Selections:
    A. Overeating
    B. Depression
    C. Less Exercise
    D. Stress
    E. Medications
    Other (please complete)__living with grandparents in China

Because they included any random thing people wrote in, it's too long and now looks like a Buzzfeed article...

That isn't what the list is though.
    The article states where the list came from and what the person compiling it used as criteria. The list is all things that the list compiler has seen research journal articles for that show a claim that X is associated with obesity. What the list, and particularly its growth shows, is that obesity research is a growing interest. More people are interested in what things could be done to influence the rate at a societal level.