ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do a thing for your upper body

???

Core?
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Running on asphalt (the street) is MUCH easier than running on concrete (the sidewalk).
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Running rugged mountainous trails will give you strong legs, rubber ankles, a solid core, and lots of confidence.
  • fabiola_1
    fabiola_1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    the plantar fasciitis pain
  • watty76
    watty76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The thing I love is how accessible it is. I started running whilst obese, took it v gently and only built up to running for 30mind straight over several weeks. Since then I've got up to 8miles as my longest run and I'm training for a marathon In the autumn. I'm still a little overweight but continue to take it steady and have never been injured. I know myself well enough to realise that if I pushed myself and it hurt too much I'd stop, so I've been super careful. My only competition is me and I keep on beating myself. It's ace!
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hip pain
    Yes. I never knew this was a thing until I started running longer stretches.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    - Once you start running outside, running on a treadmill then becomes slow, agonizing, painful torture.

- The right socks and shoes make a HUGE difference in pain, blisters, and endurance.

- A sweat band on your forehead is a lifesaver.

- Finding your own inspiring music, and then listening to it while running increases your endurance by 1000%.

- Drink water. Seriously. Cramps are the devil and they WILL happen.

- No one, and I mean NO ONE runs 20 miles out of the blue. It takes time to work up your distances. Don't EVER feel bad for walking, slowing down, reducing your distance, and taking it one step at a time. Your body will thank you, and you will feel like it's less of a chore. Like they say, you may not run a mile in 4:00 minutes flat, or even 12:00 flat, but you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

:)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    adescut wrote: »
    How much of it is mental.

This. One of the most mental sports there is.
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    watty76 wrote: »
    My only competition is me and I keep on beating myself. It's ace!
    Love this. Totally stealing it!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Poop scheduling becomes VERY important.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1. That I'm not terribly sweaty while running, but I sweat alot for 30 minutes after I stop.
    2. Shin splints/stress fractures really suck and your doctor will never admit that you have them because you ran too much for a fat chick.
    3. I run a mile much faster when it's under 20 degrees outside.
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ... 3. I run a mile much faster when it's under 20 degrees outside.
    @enterdanger - I'm curious why you say this... (I'm not a runner, but I'm really enjoying this thread!) Is it because you're cold and just want to be done sooner? Or some other reason I can't imagine?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    ... 3. I run a mile much faster when it's under 20 degrees outside.
    @enterdanger - I'm curious why you say this... (I'm not a runner, but I'm really enjoying this thread!) Is it because you're cold and just want to be done sooner? Or some other reason I can't imagine?

Probably a combo of wanting to get inside and not feeling as hot/sweaty as on warm days (I know when I run outdoors when it's hot out I certainly feel like I dehydrate faster and thus don't feel as energetic/speedy.)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @sarahlluvatariel you got it. It's too cold to stay out that long. Running fast to keep warm.
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How quickly your cardio dwindles if you miss a month of running…That if you're like me you can't run outside if it's less then 65 degrees ( late fall to early spring is all on a treadmill). On the other hand if you're like me you have no problem running in 90 degree heat.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    You can't walk/run/drive by a Running Speciality store with out stopping to check out what's new, what's on sale!!!
    Your Running shoe collection takes up 2 rows in the bottom of the closet.
    Your Running clothes take up the rest of the closet.
    Functionality beats out fashion - Color clashes are fine as long as it functions.
    Fluorescent Lime Green - Orange etc are life savers.
    You used to laugh at " Men in Tights" now you have 5 sets in rotation and 2 new ones waiting on the shelf.
    A quick run around the park becomes longer and longer and longer. Buy multiple high quality headlamps now.
    A bad day for driving due to weather is a great day for running.
    Toe-nails will grow back.
    Getting lost on a wilderness Bush Trail = Unplanned Long Run Day#2.
    Walking from the parking Lot to the Coffee shop your breathing/heart rate drop to Normal in 30 steps or less.

Haha...my closet looks like an athletic clothing store. Lol..I'd also add havung more sports bras then you can fit into one drawer. Lol
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    adescut wrote: »
    How much of it is mental.

^ This!
    The first two miles always suck but after that I can run for hours

^ Yes. To a point. I still get bored after about 5 miles.
    terrie_k wrote: »
    How much shoes really do make a difference

^ Please get good shoes and replace them often. Shoes have ratings like tires! X number of miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    it's OK to run in the street when the shoulder is icy and there are no cars on the road (make sure you run against traffic)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    That 12 hours will definitely matter when timing the hooha waxing.

Bahahahaha! I thought I was the only one who'd learned that lesson the hard way.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    That there would be a steady stream of people saying that running is bad for the knees...