What nobody told you about running.

Options

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    That I can get sore in my shoulders and neck from running wrong...
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    That 12 hours will definitely matter when timing the hooha waxing.
  • crouchyyy
    crouchyyy Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For me, it's been how easy it is to injury myself doing it. I have a relatively good basal level of fitness (my resting HR is about 45), but I've never been much of a runner. I went out for a few runs, and ran the best pace I could/as far as I could manage. The end result? Two seperate overuse injuries that have occurred as a result of not having sufficient musculature to support the impact of running. The former was an ankle pain that meant I couldn't run for two weeks (and walk down stairs for 1), and the latter is a hip injury that after 5 days of first causing me trouble shows no sign to ceasing.

I would strongly recommend, based on my past experience, to only start slow and pace yourself, especially if you're otherwise fit, but have not done much running. +1 for all those saying stretches too.

I am sure that bad technique has contributed towards to my injuries as well, but overuse was what really caused them to be real issues.
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The pains......and you must listen to them and take breaks from running even if it's going to make you cry because you can't go for 2 months.

New running shoes when the old ones die....you have to get the right ones.

Freezing your butt off waiting for your gps to find your location....lol

So a mental game. The moment you think you can't do it, then you Can't....but if you never think about it, you can go forever.

I had a trick for myself when I first started running hills, I would wear a hat so low that I couldn't see how long the hill was, that way I would always make it up. Silly I know but it worked!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do a thing for your upper body
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Faster is not the same as better.
  • girlonfire10
    girlonfire10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is not the same as running outside.

Running requires strength, not just endurance.

For a first time runner like myself, it was more important to get in shape to run rather than run to get into shape...
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are there any tips to increasing the time length of running. Right now I'm just in the jogging stages. Half jog half walk, I know my weight is and issue but I would like to be able to increase my stamina. Helpful tips welcome (I'm in the 240 weight range)

I'm not a big runner, but I do know that consistency is key to building stamina. Just keep doing what you're doing, and adding a little more distance each time. Take your time, you don't want to injure yourself. What you're doing now is a good workout for you.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do a thing for your upper body.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    How much EASIER it is at sea level. I've been running in Denver, where I live, since I started and we recently visited relatives in Santa Clarita (basically Los Angeles) and it was as easy as walking fast. Got back here and wanted to DIE the first time I got back on the 'mill.

More practically: that running on a treadmill is not as efficient, unless you incline it to 1% or higher to mimic the gravity of running outside or on a track.
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That pain isn't always normal for a novice runner. That might seem self explanatory, but I thought I was having shin splints for the longest time and then seeing a sport med doctor I was told I have chronic exertional compartment syndrome. Here I am two months post-surgery hoping to be able to start running soon. If something doesn't feel right, get it checked out.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    how much more you are capable of than you may have thought.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I get injured, worn out and demoralized running on pavement. I get super bored on a treadmill. But I can run forever on a natural, dirt trail - it's exhilarating. So get out in nature and really ENJOY running!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Carpercia wrote: »
    It feels effortless after mile 4

omgoodness yes. the first three are torture for me
    That running in place at red lights is only something the true virgin runners do.
    I heard a joke.
    joggers run in place at redlights
    runners glare at the redlight till it changes
  • beckygreene86
    beckygreene86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with all of it.
    1. Love/hate relationship. My daughters and the way I feel after is the only thing that keeps me going,
    2. definitely the toe nail issues (black, take forever to grow back, I'm buying shoes a size bigger but still have the problem)
    3. chafing in places you never thought of (after 2 years of running I've gotten several of the places "fixed")
    4. have to have tissue with runs, esp in cold weather,
    5. your shoes will make or break you run, don't be afraid to spend the extra
    6. stretching is absolutely important,
    7. I never thought I would be worrying about poops at my age but if your getting ready for a long run that's all you think about (no fun to need to go while running),
    8. Yes, it takes a few miles for you muscles to loosen and get into the groove,
    9. Some days 13.1 goes beautifully and other days 3.1 seems like the hardest task you've done
    10. And the best one......When you set a goal for a PR and reach it, that runners high is a great feeling
  • jagpie42
    jagpie42 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Are there any tips to increasing the time length of running. Right now I'm just in the jogging stages. Half jog half walk, I know my weight is and issue but I would like to be able to increase my stamina. Helpful tips welcome (I'm in the 240 weight range)

I absolutely could not be training for a 1/2 marathon at the moment if I had not started with C25K. I repeated days, if needed, but didn't let myself stop the program. I have suffered two light injuries (Achilles tendinitis--I rested and now wrap my ankle before any run) and a foot sprain (great excuse to buy new shoes). Rest--just a few weeks--was the key. However, I didn't let either stop my progress.

I've won one 5K in my age group and placed 3rd in my first 10ks age group. My half will be in April.
    I completely agree with most everything that I've read. My toenails have not been an issue (and hopefully will not be!).
  • mariethatsmelb
    mariethatsmelb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    That it takes a long time for toenails to regrow!

Not to mention black toenails.
    Now that I reading these messages I think my big toe is sore around the nail for a day after a 5k run. I keep my nail short so I was confused of why it was sore. Mmmm
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    That longer and/or faster is not necessarily 'healthier'

That running can cause serious long-term injury, and some doctors say it's the reason that so many knee/hip replacements are needed in older age.

That it's not right for all bodies, and sometimes doing other things is also excellent! It's not the epitome of fitness (I had always thought this).

I run about 8-12 miles a week, at about 10-11 minutes per mile :) Quite a healthy pace, for me!

I would argue that any medical "issues" directly caused by running are more for people in the 100+ miles per week camp. It's not the healthy athletic runners getting all the hips - it's out of shape sedentary people. If anything, good regular running with proper shoes can delay tendon/cartilage damage/atrophy. As with anything there is always a "too much of a good thing" line that gets crossed though.

Exactly! :)
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    That 12 hours will definitely matter when timing the hooha waxing.

:D:D :'D