What nobody told you about running.

Options

Replies

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    That it is essential to pee before commencing run - something about starting to run triggers an immediate diuretic effect which leaves me absolutely bursting.

Now I understand how racehorses feel about it!

Oh and Cifucanguess - nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    That running in place at red lights is only something the true virgin runners do.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    That running in place at red lights is only something the true virgin runners do.

As is wearing the race shirt for the race you are running. True runners always wear last year's shirt, or one for a different race.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    Options
    That you would actually get mad... MAD... because you forgot to restart your Garmin 1/4 mile ago after that last pit stop.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You get to the point you don't care what you look like. When I started running I was so self conscious that I'd drive to a park to run. Now I don't care if my neighbors see my 49 year old *kitten* in black tights, day-glo green top, light purple gps watch, reflective yellow vest, flashing light on my back and a headlamp. I even have a flashing light on my dog's collar when he runs with me.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    You get to the point you don't care what you look like. When I started running I was so self conscious that I'd drive to a park to run. Now I don't care if my neighbors see my 49 year old *kitten* in black tights, day-glo green top, light purple gps watch, reflective yellow vest, flashing light on my back and a headlamp. I even have a flashing light on my dog's collar when he runs with me.

To add.... that you wouldn't think twice about walking into that Starbucks right after your summer run, covered in stink and salt!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Lol, I run back and forth up the block until it turns green so my GPS tracker is still giving me credit :lol: Doesn't matter if I'm at mile 1 or mile 12, it's still happening, I can't let it screw up my splits.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    1. It's never really too early to run.
    2. It's never really too late to run.
    3. It takes more gear to run that originally thought it would.
    4. It'll cause a shoe fetish... specifically a running shoe fetish... an obsession with shoes, for sure.
    5. You'll choose running over hanging out with your friends one day.
    6. You may choose running over hanging out with your friends many days, or most days.
    7. You'll talk endlessly about running until your friends don't want to hear about it.
    8. Your hamper will reflect how many times you ran in a week.
    9. Gear might spill over into all of your living areas.
    10. The ritual around running (pre and post) are addictive in themselves. Find what works for you, and do it.
    11. You'll talk to yourself while running.
    12. You'll sing to yourself while running.
    13. You will become emotional while running.
    14. You'll tear up and cry at your accomplishments while running... and for sunsets... and sunrises... and because the wind blows.
    15. You'll cry because another runner inspired you... someone who's older or younger or disabled.
    16. You'll hoard running photos, and maybe even frame one and put it on display.
    17. You'll dedicated miles to different people... in your head.
    18. You'll bargain with yourself and a power greater than yourself while you run.
    19. You'll sort out life, have revelations, solve problems, resolve issues, and gain clarity while you run.
    20. At some point, running will not simply be exercise. It will be part of you that you never want to give up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That my dog is not a dog who will run with me

Sure, if I were a squirrel he'd run a 2 minute mile, but try to get him to jog round the park and he stands there, *kitten* his head to one side and looks at me like "WTF you doin?"

Dumbest dog evah

C.o.c.k.s. His head is a goddam *kitten* phrase
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    tri_bob wrote: »
    Deviating from the purely physical, I submit a roughly chronological list of adjectives that runners cycle through to describe running over time:
    • Hate
    • Tolerate
    • Love
    • Need (This is when the trouble starts.)

Amen!

• trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    When it's really really cold outside your eyelashes can freeze together from the frozen sweat.

If it is cold enough the corners of your eyes start to stick and you can feel the surface of your eyeball starting to freeze. When that starts to happen a I do a slow blink or run a short distance (5-10 strides) with my eyes shut to help thaw them a little. However I don't dare go much further than that with my eyes closed out of fear that they might freeze together.

I usually finish these runs with at least a half inch of ice in my beard from the moisture in my breath freezing. I also once had a balaclava freeze to my beard.
  • LeeAnnP88
    LeeAnnP88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have developed a weird thing where a couple of my toenails stop growing out, they just grow thicker but never forward.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wtf?

lol at that auto-censorship
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That longer and/or faster is not necessarily 'healthier'

That running can cause serious long-term injury, and some doctors say it's the reason that so many knee/hip replacements are needed in older age.

That it's not right for all bodies, and sometimes doing other things is also excellent! It's not the epitome of fitness (I had always thought this).

I run about 8-12 miles a week, at about 10-11 minutes per mile :) Quite a healthy pace, for me!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Ha-ha! I left out one day from work and was told I didn't match. Said "yup, ain't no fashion show. And I don't look pretty doin' it".

Rest days also begin so suck after you get addicted to running.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Better to underdress than to overdress and over heat. You can usually warm up pretty good once you get going, but you don't cool down until you stop, then you get the chills.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    adescut wrote: »
    How much of it is mental.
    This... when nobody can see me run, I feel like I´m flying... when people are around I feel quite awkward and slow.
    Other runners are nice though.... you kind of join a klan when you start running ;-) enjoy yourself ;-) and feel the friendship and acceptance on the runningtrails.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    runners trots
    mastering the snot-rocket (yay me!)
    pre-race anxiety
    idiot drivers/ dog owners
    the pure exhilaration you feel when you have a good run
    hills are evil
    farleks (haha)
    the benefits of running for my mental health
    the wonders of wool running socks in cold weather
    how much I actually enjoy running in the rain