Just walking

Options
Are there any other people who just do walking as their exercise?

Due to my disability, I am severely limited to what exercise I can do, but I'm just out of a flare up and managed to have a lovely walk in the woods with my best mate this morning. I love nature so the woods is one of my favourite places, I love the beach too on a cool, crisp sunny day

Share your walks..znt8n3qn42yb.jpeg

Replies

• mrsw2801
    mrsw2801 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have just done my first walk, pushed myself as much as I could did 5k in 53 minutes. My aim is to start jogging but at my size at the moment I think I would be putting too much pressure on my body, so power walking for a while
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes I am!! I walk (stroller) everyday! 30mins as a minimum but I usually go for 70-90mins! I start to enjoy it very much now ever since I join MFP ;)
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    mrsw2801 wrote: »
    I have just done my first walk, pushed myself as much as I could did 5k in 53 minutes. My aim is to start jogging but at my size at the moment I think I would be putting too much pressure on my body, so power walking for a while

Well done! Yeah walking be much more gentle on your joints. Where do you walk? Woods, street ?
  • star1407
    Options
    Yes I am!! I walk (stroller) everyday! 30mins as a minimum but I usually go for 70-90mins! I start to enjoy it very much now ever since I join MFP ;)

Well done! How old is your baby? Do you walk on the street or go to a woods? I used to love it when my little boy was a baby/ toddler and I'd show him the flowers and cars etc. He used to look around with such amazement and wonder!
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just walk, I have three dogs and we do about 2 hours a day. I've lost a lot of weight so it definitely works.0awjfbdyq6wy.jpeg
  • star1407
    Options
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    I just walk, I have three dogs and we do about 2 hours a day. I've lost a lot of weight so it definitely works.0awjfbdyq6wy.jpeg

What a lovely view, where do you live Osiris? Love that name btw
  • SassyNKC
    SassyNKC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful place to walk!
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I walk 2.5 miles in the morning and 2.5 in the afternoon, mostly woods, this time of year with snowshoes and my husky, Remington. yhzkv23nxizt.jpg
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Lovely post! Walking is wonderful exercise and should never be considering less than anything else. :) Love the photos! Keep up the good work, everyone!
    mrsw2801 wrote: »

Just a note on this! If you would really like to run, start out gradually using a program like Couch to 5K, or even just short intervals of your own making – try, say, 30 seconds or 1 minute of running alternating with 4 minutes of walking. I started running at around 320 pounds some years ago, and last year at around 300 at 5'8" tall. I am one of those so-called "back of the packers", meaning I go relatively slow (about a 15 minute mile), but I have become part of an amazing running community in my city and get so much support for what I do. I love it! (I weigh 270 now, by the way.)

• ellashaw77
    ellashaw77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and aim to do at least 10,000 steps a day which isn't actually too difficult. It seems to be working as I'm losing weight faster than I ever have before and the only thing I've changed is that I'm walking more :)
  • JSgetsfit
    JSgetsfit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had spinal fusion surgery 10 months ago and had to walk atleadt a mile a day, doctors orders. I lost 25 pounds in 4 months. I then had hernia surgery which went badly and am just now able to start walking again.bi should note I wasn't even trying to lose weight at the time. Now I am eating better and walking again hopefully it goes even better now.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit in a year walking. Probably somewhere in the tune of 65-70 lbs. I started at a mile a day, after 30 days I went up to 2 miles a day, then all the way up to 4 miles a day at the fastest pace I could muster which was about 3.5mph. Before my back went out I was able to burn 1000 calories a day doing just walking at a very fast pace. Then I managed to burst/bulge 2-3 discs in my lower back. Doc says it was probably the repeated impact from walking so much and that I should A) get better shoes, and B) cut it down to 30 minutes a day. For me that's 1 mile and it isn't nearly enough of a burn for what I wanted to accomplish. Took me almost six weeks to recover from those injuries (I managed to do it twice to myself, 2nd time was much worse). Anyway, all I'm saying is if you have lower back problems be wary of the impact that walking does have, get really good shoes with impact absorption, and limit how much you do each day.

Now I spend 30 minutes a day on an elliptical/Bowflex M5 which is 0 impact for about a 500 calorie burn, then about 15 minutes body weight training for up to 150 calories of a burn, then 15-30 minutes walking for another 350ish calorie burn. Seems to keep me from injuring myself.

One thing I found about walking, it's good for losing weight because it's good cardio. It's good for toning your lower muscles in your legs, but it won't (unless you climb steep inclines a lot) strengthen the larger muscles in your upper legs much. For that you need to incorporate stairs or a steep incline, or a stair stepper or elliptical. YMMV.

• Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit in a year walking. Probably somewhere in the tune of 65-70 lbs. I started at a mile a day, after 30 days I went up to 2 miles a day, then all the way up to 4 miles a day at the fastest pace I could muster which was about 3.5mph. Before my back went out I was able to burn 1000 calories a day doing just walking at a very fast pace. Then I managed to burst/bulge 2-3 discs in my lower back. Doc says it was probably the repeated impact from walking so much and that I should A) get better shoes, and B) cut it down to 30 minutes a day. For me that's 1 mile and it isn't nearly enough of a burn for what I wanted to accomplish. Took me almost six weeks to recover from those injuries (I managed to do it twice to myself, 2nd time was much worse). Anyway, all I'm saying is if you have lower back problems be wary of the impact that walking does have, get really good shoes with impact absorption, and limit how much you do each day.

Now I spend 30 minutes a day on an elliptical/Bowflex M5 which is 0 impact for about a 500 calorie burn, then about 15 minutes body weight training for up to 150 calories of a burn, then 15-30 minutes walking for another 350ish calorie burn. Seems to keep me from injuring myself.

One thing I found about walking, it's good for losing weight because it's good cardio. It's good for toning your lower muscles in your legs, but it won't (unless you climb steep inclines a lot) strengthen the larger muscles in your upper legs much. For that you need to incorporate stairs or a steep incline, or a stair stepper or elliptical. YMMV.

Full incline on a treadmill for 30 minutes (or longer) 5 days out the week. You will have legs of steel.
    Some people say it's better to lift weights to, which lifting weights is good to add. But just walking is just as good for in general health. You can walk 30-60 minutes a day, even broken up throughout the day.
    But walking is one of the most easiest and steps relieving exercise there is. Not to mention it's free.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Full incline on a treadmill for 30 minutes (or longer) 5 days out the week. You will have legs of steel.
    Some people say it's better to lift weights to, which lifting weights is good to add. But just walking is just as good for in general health. You can walk 30-60 minutes a day, even broken up throughout the day.
    But walking is one of the most easiest and steps relieving exercise there is. Not to mention it's free.

Agreed. It takes a decent incline. Some people, like me at first, start walking at a level pace either on a treadmill or outside and stay at that because it's easy. Challenge yourself with inclines. If you're walking around your neighborhood find inclines or hills and modify your route to include them. It got to the point when I saw a steep hill somewhere I would find ways to modify my daily path to include it, even if I had to drive somewhere to begin my walk.

• star1407
    Options
    I walk 2.5 miles in the morning and 2.5 in the afternoon, mostly woods, this time of year with snowshoes and my husky, Remington. yhzkv23nxizt.jpg
    Ahhh he's gorgeous!
  • star1407
    Options
    I had spinal fusion surgery 10 months ago and had to walk atleadt a mile a day, doctors orders. I lost 25 pounds in 4 months. I then had hernia surgery which went badly and am just now able to start walking again.bi should note I wasn't even trying to lose weight at the time. Now I am eating better and walking again hopefully it goes even better now.

That's brilliant that you aren't just laying down, I bet you are speeding up your recovery
  • star1407
    Options
    Agree with splinter, good shoes are a must! I have plantar fasciitis, Mortons neuroma, fibromyalgia and arthritis. I buy my shoes a size bigger and wear thick memory foam insoles in them. I use a walking stick which helps too. I sometimes need to use a wheelchair or my mobility scooter and I get really down. There's nothing like walking in the woods with soft leaves and moss under your feet
  • ArtsyActive1401
    ArtsyActive1401 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love walking, and walking with a four-legged pal... even better. They just listen and agree with what you say! :)
  • star1407
    Options
    I love walking, and walking with a four-legged pal... even better. They just listen and agree with what you say! :)

I play hide and seek with Freddie sometimes, he sniffs me out every time lol