Just walking

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lgay14 wrote: »
    Well 48 hours ago it was -42 Celsius here in St Malo Manitoba Canada. Today it was +1, a 41 degree turn around. Go figure. Of course the temperature change was accompanied by strong southerly winds and about 10cm of snow yesterday. But today was beautiful and sunny so Rigel, hubby and I made the best of it with a lovely long walk at the park. I started tracking my treadmill and outdoor steps last Monday and I am over the 110,000 mark today. It has also resulted in a positive downward movement on the scales. Whoopee! Tomorrow hubby is off to a small town on James Bay in northern Quebec for work. He will be gone a month. So another test to keep myself busy so I don't eat out of boredom. I have some activities lined up so we will see. We are both retired but he got bored and took this part-time job that he loves. The only downside is that the work is in remote communities in Canada's north for 2-4 weeks at a time :(. Rigel and I will just have to do lots of walking between my projects. Mid-February usually bring the start to the weather breaking heading into spring in early March so should be good walking times. Take care all KEEP CALM AND WALK ON!

Jeebers I complain when It hits 15C (59F), and dig out my winter thermals lol I can not even begin to imagine what minus temps feels like bbbbrrrrrrr
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    A 40 degree difference overnight! That's crazy.
    You'll have to keep yourself busy while hubby is gone, take lots of photos for us of your beautiful country, and of course the cutesy Rigel :)
  • star1407
    Options
    lgay14 wrote: »
    Well 48 hours ago it was -42 Celsius here in St Malo Manitoba Canada. Today it was +1, a 41 degree turn around. Go figure. Of course the temperature change was accompanied by strong southerly winds and about 10cm of snow yesterday. But today was beautiful and sunny so Rigel, hubby and I made the best of it with a lovely long walk at the park. I started tracking my treadmill and outdoor steps last Monday and I am over the 110,000 mark today. It has also resulted in a positive downward movement on the scales. Whoopee! Tomorrow hubby is off to a small town on James Bay in northern Quebec for work. He will be gone a month. So another test to keep myself busy so I don't eat out of boredom. I have some activities lined up so we will see. We are both retired but he got bored and took this part-time job that he loves. The only downside is that the work is in remote communities in Canada's north for 2-4 weeks at a time :(. Rigel and I will just have to do lots of walking between my projects. Mid-February usually bring the start to the weather breaking heading into spring in early March so should be good walking times. Take care all KEEP CALM AND WALK ON!

Jeebers I complain when It hits 15C (59F), and dig out my winter thermals lol I can not even begin to imagine what minus temps feels like bbbbrrrrrrr

Lol we get minus in the uk but nowhere near minus forty. Hubby and I went to Prague for a weekend and it was minus thirteen, we thought we were going to die lol
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I do other stuff as well, but we walk a lot. 1keikauxg4es.jpg
  • CollieFit
    Options
    And this is what it looks like around here... 794h3ch2o46n.jpg
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    These pictures are inspirational! No wonder you are walking all the time! I love to walk, but another Canadian here. Not as cold as Manitoba - but Ontario is still pretty cold right now! If I lived by the beach - where it was warm - I'd walk everyday!
  • star1407
    Options
    @CollieFit great shot of the dogs! That is some beautiful scenery, where are you?
    @rjan91 I like to walk when it's cool and crisp, on a spring day would be my favourite. Canada sounds to me less cool and crisp and more losing fingers and toes to frostbite :D
    I'm totally sold on wanting to visit though, it looks and sounds beautiful
  • CollieFit
    Options
    We're in Wiltshire. :)
  • star1407
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    We're in Wiltshire. :)

I thought it looked like that neck of the woods. I love it down there, very beautiful and has a very strange energy. Some of my favourite holidays have been Devon, Cornwall and Somerset. I loved the series animal park so hubby took me to the safari park and house there for a birthday weekend. Loved every minute of it
  • CollieFit
    Options
    You mean Longleat? :smile:
  • star1407
    Options
    You mean Longleat? :smile:
    THATS IT LOL
    Omg the name just completely fell out of my head!
  • CollieFit
    Options
    We did a 7 mile walk around the woodlands and fields around Longleat last weekend. It was super muddy. Needed to carry our littlest one across this "puddle"... :o

p6mqxhx3wtbk.jpg
  • star1407
    Options
    :D ah bless, it'd be like a lake for the little one! Too cute. Can you see any of the animals from there? Or hear the lions roar? That would be very cool
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I do other stuff as well, but we walk a lot. 1keikauxg4es.jpg

@CollieFit This picture melted my heart, so bloody cute :heart:

I am so envious of all the greenery, fields and walking trails and beauty you guys have in Britain, Just stunning!
  • star1407
    Options
    Christine, we are envious of your hot weather and lovely beaches :D well I am anyway
  • Christine_72
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Christine, we are envious of your hot weather and lovely beaches :D well I am anyway

Hehe it's always the way, covet what we don't have. It's going to be over 40C this weekend and 26 overnight. I'm gonna melt, but I'd that than freezing cold weather.

We have a lot of beautiful land in the country, but it's private property and no one is allowed to walk on it. You guys have a different law over there, right? You can walk on other peoples land?
  • star1407
    Options
    Sometimes we can, if there is a public footpath there. Sometimes it is private lad and then you can't. But we have so many country parks and woodlands open to the public, I don't bother with private owned land. Knowing me I'd get it wrong and end up with an angry farmer pointing his shotgun at me :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    ama3387 wrote: »
    So I've really started to make a point to walk at least 3 miles a day. However having started doing this I've been experiencing pretty bad shin splints. Anyone have any suggestions?

What type of surface are you walking on? Do you have good shoes?

I had problems with shin splits when I was in the USAF and walking and running on pavement and for some years afterwards, but now that I walk in the woods with Asics Gel shoes, my shins no longer bother me.
  • star1407
    Options
    I've just discovered Earth spirit shoes, they are really cushioned and have inbuilt shock absorbers in the soles. Plus they are really eco friendly. Just waiting on delivery now, can't wait
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    It is cold this morning here in Southern, Ohio...14 degrees with a wind chill it was more like 7 degrees. I managed to walk 6.5 miles. I needed to get out this morning and move my legs. I feel so much better. We are expecting snow this evening so who knows when I can get out there again.

I'm fine with a Feels Like temperature of 7 degrees F - what demotivates me is lack of sunshine. I almost made it today despite that but it kept spitting rain off and on, and it's windy, so raining sideways. I need to get some proper rain gear...