Coffee is great... However...

Options
tracefan
tracefan Posts: 382 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
What goes into it. Not so good. I need my coffee. Will not skimp or give it up. Unfortunately I like light coffee and I add half and half by a pouring estimate. I just measured 2 tbsp of half and half. And my coffee still isn't
Light enough. I realize about 1/8th of a cup into each mug of 10oz. I know I will use 100 calories plus. But I just refuse to illuminate this from my diet. Anyone else. Have something they just refuse to give up???

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Have you ever tried milk? The calcium, magnesium, vit D, and potassium in it won't harm your bones. Protein is an added little bonus.
  • cmr3399
    cmr3399 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    What goes into it. Not so good. I need my coffee. Will not skimp or give it up. Unfortunately I like light coffee and I add half and half by a pouring estimate. I just measured 2 tbsp of half and half. And my coffee still isn't
    Light enough. I realize about 1/8th of a cup into each mug of 10oz. I know I will give up 100 calories plus. But I just refuse to give this up. Anyone else. Have something they just refuse to give up???

2ND THIS!!!
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I second trying milk.
  • tracefan
    Options
    I can't do milk. I only
    Like half and half trust me I've tried it all even fat free half and half. Yuck.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You could add the half and half, and then maybe a bit of milk to kind of lighten it? I'm on a flavored creamer kick, but find I have to add too much to get it the way I like it, so kind of mixing it with a bit of 1% or 2% milk helps. If it didn't, i'd just add the creamer. I will not give up my morning coffee.
  • tracefan
    Options
    Plus. Milk has sugar!!!!
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with sugar.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    If you don't want to change it, then log it first thing and work in everything else around it.
  • tracefan
    Options
    I used to do those international coffee creamers. I was addicted but slowly went to half and half.
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to have to have 4 sugars and loads of milk in mine, beats the point i know.

after slowly reducing the spoon fulls I have no sugar now, cant even have one. Try switching from half and half to semi skimmed milk, then try reducing to skimmed. My coffee is only about 20 odd cals now. why dont you try treating yourself to nice coffee too as you might be adding stuff to hide the flavor.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    I used to have to have 4 sugars and loads of milk in mine, beats the point i know.

after slowly reducing the spoon fulls I have no sugar now, cant even have one. Try switching from half and half to semi skimmed milk, then try reducing to skimmed. My coffee is only about 20 odd cals now. why dont you try treating yourself to nice coffee too as you might be adding stuff to hide the flavor.

This might also be an idea. Train your tastebuds to enjoy the coffee. I drink milk and sweetener in normal coffee, but not in a high quality coffee. I drink 100% dark roast filter coffee black and bitter, because it doesn't taste right with the milk and sweetener.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I think you should look at buying better coffee and drinking it black. I'm not sure what you buy now, but there's a lot of really good coffee you can buy that tastes fine all by itself. If you need a place to start, try buying a light roast from Starbucks (NOT the "Pike Place" house blend, which tastes burnt).
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    ITT People talk about how they ruin coffee. :(
    tumblr_ny4gnfxT7o1t1cy7no1_400.jpg
  • tehgrl1
    tehgrl1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI, i am the same way! I've started using the coffeemate all natural creamer and its 35 cals a tblsp and i use 3 in a 20 ounce cup. I don't have to add sugar or extra milk. But really I have to take a snack out of my diet. Plus I've started taking extra sugar out of my diet, focusing on filling foods like oatmeal, and snacks such as fruit. Good luck.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    _EPIC_ wrote: »
    ITT People talk about how they ruin coffee. :(
    tumblr_ny4gnfxT7o1t1cy7no1_400.jpg

This
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black 90% of the time and love it. and with plain ol milk the other times. Once in a blue moon i get a cappuccino.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I think you should look at buying better coffee and drinking it black. I'm not sure what you buy now, but there's a lot of really good coffee you can buy that tastes fine all by itself. If you need a place to start, try buying a light roast from Starbucks (NOT the "Pike Place" house blend, which tastes burnt).

if you're looking for "good coffee" just steer clear of Starbucks completely, ALL of it tastes burnt, even their blonde roast (which i think they call "Veranda Blend" but not positive). Seattle's Best lighter roasts are pretty decent and worlds better than anything Starbucks offers.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP, start drinking good quality coffee and you wont need cream, milk, or sugar
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No real help here. Not going to give up my coffee..uh uh. I would give up lunch first.

Trader Joe's Ethiopian Organic made in a French press. And I use flavored coffee creamer...I know it is bad, but I like it.

I actually don't like the taste of real dairy as much. I'm down with an upside down latte half sweet now and then, but that is a different beast.
  • GameGirl777
    GameGirl777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I fill half the cup with coffee and half with hot water. That lightens it up and you can use less cream and sugar.