My coworker belives in magic! :(

Options

Replies

• qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just get frustrated by how pushy these "sales reps" are with BS products.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I'm not being harassed, they are just being annoying...

Gee, an annoying co-worker. How so very odd. Whenever you see this person coming just tell him/her that you're not interested and get back to your work.

I know, right?!? Seriously odd! ;) Trust me, I take your "advice" daily.

If you tell her daily that you aren't interested, she's harassing you.

Yes, every day this person is in the office. I may have a talk with my boss about it.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Please remove this thread. It is highly offensive to the Magicians Alliance.

tumblr_mj47l86kh51rn8ya7o1_500.jpg
  • Soccerdawg71
    Soccerdawg71 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd argue that selling Girl Scout cookies is different. It's a charity fundraiser, and it's only once a year. Generally, people don't pressure you to buy them. If they do, you could complain about that, too.

What your co-worker is essentially doing is bringing her second job into her first job, and any HR department would frown upon that. I have a co-worker who sells Mary Kay, but she's very careful not to do it on company time or on company e-mail or IM.

When your co-worker talks about her product, you could say, "Sorry, but I don't believe in miracles." Or, "If it works so great, why are you still fat?" (Maybe she's not, but I thought it was funny.)
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My Doctor told me not to take diet pills.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i would just say outright - 'sorry but I don't believe in magic'
    I know too many sellers who have contacted people I know who have lost weight in a healthy way so they can use their results - its all a lie
    or explain that you are on the blue virgin mermaid pee diet only as that's the only magic you believe in (or something similarly sarcastic)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Before you go off on them tell your supervisor they are distracting you from your work trying to sell you weight loss products (which is implying you need them and therefore implying you're overweight). It absolutely could turn into an HR issue if it continues.

It's also a conflict of interest since they should NOT be promoting their own business at a different employer's company. That's not what their salary/wage is for.

And it's not the same as Girl Guide cookies, which people tend to send out 1 - 2 company wide emails and then leave the boxes sitting on their desk with an envelope for money. That's usually where it stops.

If I were you, I'd give one more VERY clear "No I do not want your product and I would appreciate if you do not ask me ever again". You have to tell her VERY clearly to STOP before it's considered harassment. If she asked once more, report her to HR.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I once had a lady constantly trying to sell me spa products. I wasn't interested. I tried for a couple month with the nice, easy, "not right now." "I just don't have time for a party" blah blah blah. She never took the hint. Finally, one day she asked and I'd had it so I gave her every single reason I was not interested. I wasn't rude but I was bluntly honest. I told her I had no intrest whatsoever in any of the products she was selling and likely never would, I do not WANT to host a party and subject all my friends to sales of products that are too expensive for them to afford and that if she talked me into having a party it would be highly unlikely to be worth her time because I had zero money and my friends were all in the same boat. I told her I had no intention of hosting a party or buying any of her products because there wasn't a single one that appealed to me. I haven't heard a sales pitch from her since.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I accepted a FB friend request by a coworker. I don't normally do it, but I went ahead. Every post this person makes is about selling some magic weight loss supplement. I'm pretty sure I was only friended to be marketed to. This person also brought in samples of a product into the office yesterday. I obviously declined. I have unfollowed them so I don't see the annoying posts, but now they are constantly wanting to talk about these "amazing" weight loss products. I am going to go off sooner or later. I have made it clear that I am not interested at all in these products. How do you deal with the pushy people in your life who try to sell you crap?????

I don't accept them as friends on Facebook.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am terribly saddened by the misleading title of your post. I was hoping your co-worker thought they were a wizard of some kind.
  • TeamScorpioRI
    TeamScorpioRI Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a family member that constantly posts outrageous conspiracy theories (I'm all for alternative news, but its kind of a joke now. We take bets on how soon after an event will he start posting about a government conspiracy about it). At first it was amusing, but eventually I had to black him as the posts got more and more offensive.

Unfortunately with a co-worker, they are a little harder to avoid. I would report it to your boss if they are constantly trying to sell you on something. That has to be against code of conduct.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I have a family member that constantly posts outrageous conspiracy theories (I'm all for alternative news, but its kind of a joke now. We take bets on how soon after an event will he start posting about a government conspiracy about it). At first it was amusing, but eventually I had to black him as the posts got more and more offensive.

Unfortunately with a co-worker, they are a little harder to avoid. I would report it to your boss if they are constantly trying to sell you on something. That has to be against code of conduct.

If not for sales in the office then for harassing people about it.

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I'm not being harassed, they are just being annoying...

Gee, an annoying co-worker. How so very odd. Whenever you see this person coming just tell him/her that you're not interested and get back to your work.

I know, right?!? Seriously odd! ;) Trust me, I take your "advice" daily.

If you tell her daily that you aren't interested, she's harassing you.

Yes, every day this person is in the office. I may have a talk with my boss about it.

I'd just confront the person. I find it better to talk to a person directly about what they are doing as opposed to going the boss--especially if they are likely to find it was you "who told on them."

I'd say, "Dude, I'm not interested. In fact, I think products like that are pyramid schemes preying on the hopes of overweight people to lose weight. I find you efforts to sell such a product at work to be unprofessional."
  • DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My policy when it comes to annoying people is 'speak up or suck it up'. Either tell her firmly and directly that she's being annoying and you don't want to hear it or learn to tune it out and let it go.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Stop being a muggle and believe!

But seriously, if she's annoying you why not just tell her so? Nicely, but firmly. She might be a little offended but probably a lot less so than if you "go off" later.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I think taking it to HR is kinda making a mountain out of a mole-hill. In the words of mother Reagan, "Just say No"
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You could try being blunt and say "I have told you I am not interested. I am done talking with you about this." Then actually turn around and walk away/go back to work. After that, just ignore her when she brings it up again. If you refuse to engage, she should eventually get tired of talking to a wall and give up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'd argue that selling Girl Scout cookies is different. It's a charity fundraiser, and it's only once a year. Generally, people don't pressure you to buy them. If they do, you could complain about that, too.
    It's still selling. Regardless if it's for charity or not, how could you tell someone "hey you can't sell ANYTHING here" yet allow someone selling girl scout cookies it's okay. Consistency is where lots of work lawsuits happen because some people can't distinguish on what's against policy and what isn't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tara_means_star
    Options
    I think taking it to HR is kinda making a mountain out of a mole-hill. In the words of mother Reagan, "Just say No"

I agree to talk to her first but if you've "just said no" every. single. day. and that person just continues to badger you, I'd argue that it isn't making a mountain out of a mole hill.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Girl Scout cookies. If a small child walks up to me and asks if I want to buy the cookies then yes I am buying the cookies but if said small child's parents walk up to me I will tell them where to put the cookies sheet.